The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Bad gcse

Hi, i just wanted to talk about how my gcse grades were quite disappointing but I have picked my self up at a levels so what are the chances of me getting into a good uni? I got 4 B grades, 4 C grades, 1 D and 2As. In a level I am predicted 4A,s in chemistry, physics, biology and economics while in maths I already have an A at AS which I will continue. I had serious anemia problems but I want to take responsibility for my grades. I want to get into imperial college in medical and was wondering that if I got a good personal statement and BMAT Score, could that make up for my poor grades at GCSE, my D grade was in German which is irrelevant to my chosen course.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

should be fine, they only look at your college grades because it's UCAS points they want. As for course relevancy again I wouldn't worry. It would be unfair if for example you wanted to do and arts based degree that they wouldn't take you on because you did sciences and such at A level. Universities don't do that so yeah, you've got nothing to worry about just make sure you keep up the good work!
(edited 7 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Hey,
Those grades are obviously below the usual standard expected of a medicine applicant, especially one who would want to go to one of the top universities, such as Imperial. But, by the sounds of the anaemia that you suffered, you probably would be considered for extenuating circumstances, where you would be seen to not have reached your potential because of your ailment. You may want to take responsibility for your grades, but you must understand that after suffering an illness like that, it wasn't your fault at all, and you shouldn't let it set you back any more than what it has already. I just checked the Imperial entry requirements for medicine, and whilst I don't see them asking for anything specific, the majority of successful applicants would have a strong GCSE profile (unless they have extenuating circumstances), so I would suggest talking to your teachers/tutor about extenuating circumstances (or whatever your college calls it), and hopefully they can help you, so that you can go on to be an even more competitive applicant.
Best of luck. :smile:
Reply 3
gcse are useless unless you want an einstein uni
Original post by ILikePasta
should be fine, they only look at your college grades because it's UCAS points they want. As for course relevancy again I wouldn't worry. It would be unfair if for example you wanted to do and arts based degree that they wouldn't take you on because you did sciences and such at A level. Universities don't do that so yeah, you've got nothing to worry about just make sure you keep up the good work!

OP mentioned Imperial and posted on the Imperial forum. Imperial doesn't count UCAS points and instead looks at individual A Level grades like any other top university and their GCSEs will put them at a disadvantage.
Original post by yl95
OP mentioned Imperial and posted on the Imperial forum. Imperial doesn't count UCAS points and instead looks at individual A Level grades like any other top university and their GCSEs will put them at a disadvantage.

my bad, didn't realise they did things differently plus wasn't looking at the forum just the individual post
Original post by ILikePasta
my bad, didn't realise they did things differently plus wasn't looking at the forum just the individual post

In fact, most universities in the Top 15 (or so at least) look at A Levels individually and don't just up points.
Original post by yl95
In fact, most universities in the Top 15 (or so at least) look at A Levels individually and don't just up points.

Depending on which top university is in question, some don't even focus that much on predicted grades for A-levels, which I presume would be what the majority of people apply with unless they are taking a gap year. This is because GCSE grades are the only results one would have actually attained by the point of application, and the predicted grades are -well- quite obviously, a prediction.

But then on the flip side, other universities may argue that a student can excel considerably from GCSE to A-level. So, in a nutshell, attitudes are different between university to university.
Original post by yl95

Except that Imperial Medicine doesn't look at GCSEs....
most universities for medicine ask for at least a B grade in; Science, English and Maths in all of the disciplines for each taken (such as duel science BB or individual B B B)

Most uni's do however accept re-sits for GCSE's so if you have any of these below a B then I would recommend asking your school or college if you can add on a GCSE to the end of the year and start revising for that too.
Original post by coco_iman
Hi, i just wanted to talk about how my gcse grades were quite disappointing but I have picked my self up at a levels so what are the chances of me getting into a good uni? I got 4 B grades, 4 C grades, 1 D and 2As. In a level I am predicted 4A,s in chemistry, physics, biology and economics while in maths I already have an A at AS which I will continue. I had serious anemia problems but I want to take responsibility for my grades. I want to get into imperial college in medical and was wondering that if I got a good personal statement and BMAT Score, could that make up for my poor grades at GCSE, my D grade was in German which is irrelevant to my chosen course.
Thanks

You're fine, Imperial doesn't consider GCSEs AT ALL, for medicine; it's all focused on meeting the BMAT cutoff (which most applicants fail to do, so be weary).
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Except that Imperial Medicine doesn't look at GCSEs....

There's a difference between 'not a huge emphasis' and 'looking'; it's most definitely in the list of things to look for when shortlisting candidates and as far as I know, 'The GCSE requirements are that all applicants must have the following subjects at GCSE level, at grades AAABB or above (in any order):
Biology (or Human Biology)
Chemistry
English Language
Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics) Physics The Science double award or Science plus Additional Science may substitute all sciences at GCSE' was at least how it was in 2015/16.

I do actually go to Imperial and know Medics/have talked to Medics about their applications and the admissions process!
Original post by yl95
There's a difference between 'not a huge emphasis' and 'looking'; it's most definitely in the list of things to look for when shortlisting candidates and as far as I know, 'The GCSE requirements are that all applicants must have the following subjects at GCSE level, at grades AAABB or above (in any order):
Biology (or Human Biology)
Chemistry
English Language
Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics) Physics The Science double award or Science plus Additional Science may substitute all sciences at GCSE' was at least how it was in 2015/16.

I do actually go to Imperial and know Medics/have talked to Medics about their applications and the admissions process!

Outdated information
Outdated information

Would be interested to know how it changed from 2015/16 to 2016/17 (I got my info from the FoI request website in March 2016)
Original post by yl95
Would be interested to know how it changed from 2015/16 to 2016/17 (I got my info from the FoI request website in March 2016)

Everything remained the same, just GCSEs were removed from the selection process.
Standard offer also increased to A*AA from AAA
Everything remained the same, just GCSEs were removed from the selection process.
Standard offer also increased to A*AA from AAA

Ah, thanks, that's interesting to know. I feel bad for applicants from next year especially since they've increased their grade requirements to very high levels, higher than anywhere in the country except for Cambridge Maths!
Original post by yl95
Ah, thanks, that's interesting to know. I feel bad for applicants from next year especially since they've increased their grade requirements to very high levels, higher than anywhere in the country except for Cambridge Maths!

Imperial's Chem Eng course has a 3A* requirement now. Its probably going to be in adjustment every year, because even good students are going to struggle to get 3A*

Did Cambridge up their maths? Seems the same
Imperial's Chem Eng course has a 3A* requirement now. Its probably going to be in adjustment every year, because even good students are going to struggle to get 3A*

Did Cambridge up their maths? Seems the same

That's their typical offer for chemeng, hasn't changed since last year they've just put that there instead the minimum entry requirements
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
That's their typical offer for chemeng, hasn't changed since last year they've just put that there instead the minimum entry requirements

I see, so they were essentially false advertising for years :biggrin:
I see, so they were essentially false advertising for years :biggrin:

No, they had the typical offers in the entry requirements section before. Now it's the first thing you see.

Latest

Trending

Trending