The Student Room Group

Rubbish gcse want to do medicine

I got 6 A's and 6 B's. Yes, I know I did really bad for someone wanting to persue medicine. I want to know if there is hope and any universities out there that would let me in if i got my 1 A* and an 2 A's at A level (if there are please tell me). To 'back' my case my parents divorced when i was 6 and lived with my mum who works minimum wage and have no contact with my dad (so no money for tutoring). I recently found out i live in one of most deprived boroughs in the UK. Lastly, the school i went to do my gcses was below the national average (43% 5A*-C). So would unis care about this? And even if they didnt is there hope?
Original post by OculusBoreus
I got 6 A's and 6 B's. Yes, I know I did really bad for someone wanting to persue medicine. I want to know if there is hope and any universities out there that would let me in if i got my 1 A* and an 2 A's at A level (if there are please tell me). To 'back' my case my parents divorced when i was 6 and lived with my mum who works minimum wage and have no contact with my dad (so no money for tutoring). I recently found out i live in one of most deprived boroughs in the UK. Lastly, the school i went to do my gcses was below the national average (43% 5A*-C). So would unis care about this? And even if they didnt is there hope?

Well bad news is that universities do care about GCSE results. However good news is that they care way more about A Level results. Most universities accept students starting from 5As and above for GCSEs. Most medical courses require English and Math at a minimum grade of B. As long as you have those grades, you'd be well on your way to being accepted for medical school.
You are actually crazy. Those are great grades, even for medicine.
(this is taken from when I was applying 6 years ago)

A lot of universities's criteria could say they want minimum 5/6 As or something of that nature but when you look at the reality of the situation that a lot (around 85/90%) of students are applying with all A*s so unless you get near 750- 800 in your UKCAT and amazing work experience/ personal statement, then unfortunately even getting an interview with those GCSE grades is a highly unlikely.

1. 1st option is to smash the other parts of the application and hope for the best

2. or apply to somewhere like Clinical Sciences in Bradford where you would fall under Widening Participation Criteria and could transfer to Leeds Med school after 1st year

Get a good UKCAT score ~660-670
And apply To universities that are moderately UKCAT heavy. They look to see if you've achieved the minimum requirements and then rank soley based on UKCAT, getting the score above would get you a interview at places like Sheffield, St George's, Plymouth, Southampton etc.

Alternatively, do the BMAT and apply to Lancaster, BSMS, Imperial or Leeds. (Leeds will consider the best out of your AS and GCSEs, so as long as your GCSEs meet the minimum, only your ASs will be considered for the academic score.

GCSEs for medicine are so extremely overrated, the biggest advantage nowadays is a high UKCAT score and nearly every applicant will grow to know this
Those are fine.
Apply to unis that don't put much emphasis on gcses, as long as you pass the minimum requirements (which you do).
Imperial has no gcse requirements last time I checked (not 100% sure about this though).
Original post by YourGoddamnRight
You are actually crazy. Those are great grades, even for medicine.

They aren't competitive but not bad. Wouldn't describe them as great?

Just avoid Oxford, Cardiff, Bham, QUB for sure, probably also KCL, UCL, Leicester, UEA, St Andrews and maybe a few others who score GCSE's.

If you get a UKCAT of over 700 then you can be sure of some interviews at places like Newcastle, Sheffield,Southampton, getting great predictions (A*A*A*) will give you a good shot at Exeter and if you have a good PS then Bristol is a good shout. There's plenty of options left, focus on getting good work experience and high predictions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending