The Student Room Group

Fed up of being shafted by SFE

Right, started Uni in September, absolutely loving it! Going really well, loving the course, loving the uni life, its amazing!

However there's one big old issue! My student loan. After paying for accommodation, im left with £104............. for the whole year!!!!

Like yeah, i understand the means testing, but what about if your parents cannot afford to give you any money? Literally they have so many bills to be paying for they cannot afford to give me any money....

Literally, in the 40 something week term, i get just over £2 a week to live off of. It was ok through Freshers and the first Semester as i was living off of my earnings from selling all my possessions that i had worked for a paid off since i was 16, but now i'm more than £1000 in the negative.
My weekly shop is around £10, i'm hungry all the time, i can barely afford to do any social events now. To wash your clothes its near on £5 a week.

Does anyone else live like this? Is there any bursarys out there? I know students are meant to be poor, but this is ridiculous. And when you see some people getting the full loan and spending out on the most stupid things, whats the point?

"Get a job"... I already have one, working a couple of nights a week, but thats going to have to stop as we come closer to exams.
Bursaries are based on household income.

Your uni might have a learner support fund.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Bursaries are based on household income.

Your uni might have a learner support fund.

Okay thank you

Is there anything that i can do regarding this household income? Yes, my parents have been doing ok, but with the amount of money going back out of their accounts to pay off spending over previous years, i dont get to see any of it.

Did they miss something out on the student loan application, or do SFE just assume that because of what they earn, they can afford to pay for my living expenses.
Original post by noeyedeer
Okay thank you

Is there anything that i can do regarding this household income? Yes, my parents have been doing ok, but with the amount of money going back out of their accounts to pay off spending over previous years, i dont get to see any of it.

Did they miss something out on the student loan application, or do SFE just assume that because of what they earn, they can afford to pay for my living expenses.

No there isn't. SFE doesn't take bills or debt into account.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
No there isn't. SFE doesn't take bills or debt into account.

That's good then!

Its nice to see everyone with their 8k loans living like kings

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending