Original post by Steliata
Ooh which college did you get for Durham? :smile:

Grey College!
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Grey College!

Ah nice, have you visited it? :smile:
Grey College!

Ahahaha I got it too and Murray Edwards is extremely close to Churchill so it's likely that we will end up seeing each other irl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xphoenix
Ahahaha I got it too and Murray Edwards is extremely close to Churchill so it's likely that we will end up seeing each other irl

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woo! :') Unless you get into Cambridge and I miss my grades, which is likely :lol:
Woo! :':wink: Unless you get into Cambridge and I miss my grades, which is likely :lol:

Ahaha I have the same offer for you too... so it's also likely for me to miss- the margins are so close between A* and an A for some of my subjects.
Anyone else have a Durham offer with the same grade requirements as their Cambridge offer? Will firm Cambridge, of course, but makes Durham a less than ideal insurance.
Is it within the range of possibility to change from a course in the Arts to Psychological and Behavioural Sciences before the start of Tripos (I know that it depends on the college, but is there precedent for something like this?). If not, is it possible to change from Arts to PBS after Part I of Tripos(I assume the course would have to be started from scratch in this case)
Original post by princepandaxvii
Is it within the range of possibility to change from a course in the Arts to Psychological and Behavioural Sciences before the start of Tripos (I know that it depends on the college, but is there precedent for something like this?). If not, is it possible to change from Arts to PBS after Part I of Tripos(I assume the course would have to be started from scratch in this case)

It's not just colleges but would depend more on what sort of academic qualification you have (whether you have good enough base to read PBS) and if both departments agree for the switch.
What subjects are you doing in A-levels/IB/etc. and what are the grades (achieved/predicted)?

If you're thinking of possible change, I strongly suggest you contact your college asap to discuss, even before you make up your mind. They need to know that.

Edit:
As for a possibility of switching after having finished part I of Tripos of your first course, how/whether you can switch would very much depend on what the course is and how your academic performance is. And, again, it will depend on agreements between all concerned = your college and both departments.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by crablet
Anyone else have a Durham offer with the same grade requirements as their Cambridge offer? Will firm Cambridge, of course, but makes Durham a less than ideal insurance.

I did, so put York as my insurance instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it strange that having got an offer I've lost all confidence in myself and am now debating taking an offer which is unconditional if I firm elsewhere?? Or is someone else out there having a confidence crisis too? Chemistry revision yesterday evening turned into me sitting and crying in a classroom with my two chemistry teachers and several other teachers in the office next door (and it's not like they didn't know what was going on as one teacher in the classroom went and got the tissues out of the office).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayofsunshine98
Is it strange that having got an offer I've lost all confidence in myself and am now debating taking an offer which is unconditional if I firm elsewhere?? Or is someone else out there having a confidence crisis too? Chemistry revision yesterday evening turned into me sitting and crying in a classroom with my two chemistry teachers and several other teachers in the office next door (and it's not like they didn't know what was going on as one teacher in the classroom went and got the tissues out of the office).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've lost all confidence too! Especially in English Literature. Earlier in the year I was getting As, and even if I got a very high B I wasn't too worried. Now I'm worrying that I can't do the subject well enough to get an A grade at A2 and it's dragging my grade down. Same thing happening in English Language, to a lesser extent however.

Really happy to have gotten an offer and really want to meet it... just worrying about not making it haha :redface: My English Lit teacher keeps hugging me and giving me chocolate, so I spent hours on an essay to try and prove to myself I can still do the subject. Then I worry that, because I did it outside of timed conditions and used my notes, even if I get a good grade it won't mean anything. (Even though I'll obviously prep for the real exams and do more practise)

Ugghhh :frown: I'm never gonna get A*A*A
(edited 7 years ago)
I've lost all confidence too! Especially in English Literature. Earlier in the year I was getting As, and even if I got a very high B I wasn't too worried. Now I'm worrying that I can't do the subject well enough to get an A grade at A2 and it's dragging my grade down. Same thing happening in English Language, to a lesser extent however.

Really happy to have gotten an offer and really want to meet it... just worrying about not making it haha :redface: My English Lit teacher keeps hugging me and giving me chocolate, so I spent hours on an essay to try and prove to myself I can still do the subject. Then I worry that, because I did it outside of timed conditions and used my notes, even if I get a good grade it won't mean anything. (Even though I'll obviously prep for the real exams and do more practise)

Ugghhh :frown: I'm never gonna get A*A*A

It's nice to know I'm not alone but it seriously sucks and I know what you mean about worrying about not making it. My tutor made some comment this morning about student finance and how he expected I'd already sent mine off, but I haven't even firmed and insured yet and I made some comment about possibly not taking the Cambridge offer and he literally flipped so much, I got a 10 minute lecture off of him. At least you were getting As at the start of the year - I haven't seen one of those since results day last summer. I'm seriously debating talking to one of my teachers to see if we could come up with some sort of contingency plan for the next time I burst into tears at school because it's getting embarrassing in the middle of the common room. One of my chem teachers gave me a hug yesterday when I was crying on her, and then my old tutor from year 11 stuck her head around the door and came and gave me a hug too, I must admit that's one of the few times I've liked being in a class on my own. And I know what you mean about spending hours on stuff with notes (or in my case, the textbook) to prove I can do stuff. I do the same thing but then almost feel like I've cheated, even if I've only got 75% with the book (still not an A). I seriously think worrying we won't get there is making things worse though.

I made a collage of photos from Cambridge and also several of queens college (that's where my offer is from) to put up at home to try and keep me focused but I now feel like it's taunting me with what I'll never have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vincrows
It's not just colleges but would depend more on what sort of academic qualification you have (whether you have good enough base to read PBS) and if both departments agree for the switch.
What subjects are you doing in A-levels/IB/etc. and what are the grades (achieved/predicted)?

If you're thinking of possible change, I strongly suggest you contact your college asap to discuss, even before you make up your mind. They need to know that.

Edit:
As for a possibility of switching after having finished part I of Tripos of your first course, how/whether you can switch would very much depend on what the course is and how your academic performance is. And, again, it will depend on agreements between all concerned = your college and both departments.

Thanks for your response,
I already took my IB exams last year. My grades were as follows: Psychology (6), History (7) and English (7) at Higher Level, and Biology (7), Math Studies (7), and Spanish (7) at Standard Level. I would think that is a fairly solid base for PBS?

I hope the 6 in Psychology would not stand out, given the top mark in every other subject and the fact that PBS applicants are not even expected to have taken this subject at IB.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1755
Original post by crablet

And just be aware that Durham is notoriously slow/unhelpful if you miss their offer on results day. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by princepandaxvii
Thanks for your response,
I already took my IB exams last year. My grades were as follows: Psychology (6), History (7) and English (7) at Higher Level, and Biology (7), Math Studies (7), and Spanish (7) at Standard Level. I would think that is a fairly solid base for PBS?

I hope the 6 in Psychology would not stand out, given the top mark in every other subject and the fact that PBS applicants are not even expected to have taken this subject at IB.

I'd repeat my suggestion that you speak with your college at earliest possible time. It's not unusual at all an offer holder has a change of mind or trepidation about a course they have offer for before they start. I'm sure they'll be able to give you valuable advice and info. Million times better than asking such a question in a forum online. :wink:
Reply 1757

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah I've been feeling like that recently too. A couple of weeks ago I was confident I was gonna make my offer but this week I've been really unmotivated so I've done barely any work since (basically did a step paper and flopped it).

Now I feel like I'm behind in everything:frown:
Original post by solC
Nah I've been feeling like that recently too. A couple of weeks ago I was confident I was gonna make my offer but this week I've been really unmotivated so I've done barely any work since (basically did a step paper and flopped it).

Now I feel like I'm behind in everything:frown:

You're not alone! I was okay for probably the first day or so after I got my offer but then was left feeling massively overwhelmed. But then school put some support in place for me and everyone's being really encouraging and saying I'll get the grades but i just seem to have lost all of my confidence. I'm so behind on homework it's slightly ridiculous. I just wish one of my teachers would give me a bit of validation that how i'm feeling is okay, instead of which im near the point of declining Cambridge. One of my teachers has literally made me promise to firm Cambridge so i had to to shut her up but i actually don't think I can put myself through this. But every time she sees me she is going to ask me if ive done it yet and then if i decline Cambridge and she finds out she'll actually kill me! And it's been my dream for so long.

Is anyone else just randomly crying all of the time - including quietly in the back of large group lessons (well, supervised study but who cares)??
Reply 1759
You're not alone! I was okay for probably the first day or so after I got my offer but then was left feeling massively overwhelmed. But then school put some support in place for me and everyone's being really encouraging and saying I'll get the grades but i just seem to have lost all of my confidence. I'm so behind on homework it's slightly ridiculous. I just wish one of my teachers would give me a bit of validation that how i'm feeling is okay, instead of which im near the point of declining Cambridge. One of my teachers has literally made me promise to firm Cambridge so i had to to shut her up but i actually don't think I can put myself through this. But every time she sees me she is going to ask me if ive done it yet and then if i decline Cambridge and she finds out she'll actually kill me! And it's been my dream for so long.

Is anyone else just randomly crying all of the time - including quietly in the back of large group lessons (well, supervised study but who cares)??

Why are your teachers pressuring you to firm Cambridge so much? They should know that it's your choice...
Don't choose Cambridge because your teacher wants you too, that's silly. You still have a while yet to choose anyway:smile:

I haven't even been to school for the last few days lol. My school is completely useless anyway, I wish I could just drop out for the rest of the year.

Latest

Trending

Trending