St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theftse1999
Course Applying: History
AS/A2 subjects: History, economics, psychology, German
GCSE grades: 4A*6A
AS predicted: AAAA
AS grades: (when the time comes!)
Supra-curriculars: taster day at KCL, contributor to history website, wider reading
Other unis considering/applying to: Durham, Bristol, Exeter, Warwick, Edinburgh

What website do you contribute to?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by amygracebroad
I know the feeling Lauren :frown: I really wanted to go too, absolutely had my heart set on it and I think I'm more upset than I was about my Oxford rejection because I genuinely loved it more.
My grades are pretty decent and to be honest the issue was probably that I got a C in AS History (but As in everything else) which is kinda annoying, as even Oxford managed to overlook that enough to interview me. Planning on reapplying so hopefully once I prove that C was just a fluke I might fare a bit better. Don't rush into any decisions but also don't give up on your dream and compromise because in the end you're there for at least three years and you're spending money on accommodation as well - that's definitely why I'm taking a gap year, because I know that I won't enjoy the places I have offers from and I think it's worth another shot at the places I really do love.
Good luck with LSE and with whatever you decide to do! :smile:

So sorry to hear about that. Just thought I'd let you know that when I've been speaking with the admissions department at St Andrews, they told me that they do not look at AS grades, only predicted A2 grades and GCSE's. They also put a massive emphasis on personal statements, references, and interviews (if you have one for your subject).
Original post by clucky_chick
So sorry to hear about that. Just thought I'd let you know that when I've been speaking with the admissions department at St Andrews, they told me that they do not look at AS grades, only predicted A2 grades and GCSE's. They also put a massive emphasis on personal statements, references, and interviews (if you have one for your subject).

Thank you! Ooh that's quite interesting, guess it must've been my personal statement then because I'm predicted A*A*A and got 10 A* 2 A at GCSE, and they don't interview for my course (applied to study History). I'll definitely take that info into account if I decide to reapply.
Thank you! Ooh that's quite interesting, guess it must've been my personal statement then because I'm predicted A*A*A and got 10 A* 2 A at GCSE, and they don't interview for my course (applied to study History). I'll definitely take that info into account if I decide to reapply.

Wow, those are amazing grades! I've applied too, but my grades are a lot lower than yours, so I doubt they'll accept me. Yeah, I was concerned about my AS grades affecting my application, and they told me that they don't look at them. :smile:
I just received an offer for MA Psychology :smile: I'm and EU if you're wondering, and I am predicted 44 IB points. I'm guessing this means they've started giving out Psych offers, best of luck to you all!
(edited 7 years ago)
Just been rejected for Philosophy and Psychology. Feeling a little **** now, but oh well...
Original post by clucky_chick
Just been rejected for Philosophy and Psychology. Feeling a little **** now, but oh well...

I'm so sorry to hear that :frown:
I'm so sorry to hear that :frown:

I'm just trying to keep positive now. My philosophy teacher said that he was rejected by St Andrews, and went to Durham instead, and is now doing really well for himself. We just have to keep positive.
My Daughter received an offer for MA Psychology today but she has turned this down and has chosen Stirling University instead. (Scottish applicant).
Original post by Ocean121
My Daughter received an offer for MA Psychology today but she has turned this down and has chosen Stirling University instead. (Scottish applicant).

Hi. I'm probably going to firm St Andrews for Psychology. How come your daughter chose Stirling instead?. Is it closer to home or did she simply prefer the university?
Course Applying: Physics and Mathematics MPhys
AS/A2 subjects: AS Chemistry, Physics, Maths
GCSE grades: 2A* 3A 4B C (btw those 3A were one or two mark off XD)
AS predicted:AAA
AS grades: (when the time comes!)
Supra-curriculars: SMF manchester, work experience, Heart Start Programme, Numeracy mentoring
Other unis considering/applying to: manchester, dundee, need to think
Sorry to hear about your rejection :frown:

I emailed for feedback (applied for Modern History) and got exactly the same response. Pretty disappointing, as I'm considering reapplying next year and would have liked some better advice. Though looking at your grades I'm not sure I'll have much more luck next year!!!

Sorry to hear about both of your rejections.

I also heard back yesterday with a rejection for English and Modern History, and I'm gutted - St Andrews was always my 1st choice and leagues ahead of the other universities I'd applied to, so I'm not sure if I'll take a gap year and reapply for 2018 entry or not. I don't want to sound self-righteous, but I'm just a bit baffled, I more than met the minimum requirements, and I've got unconditionals for my other choices, so my PS couldn't be that bad. It sounds stupid, I could just settle and go to Edinburgh, but St Andrews has always been my dream uni, and I don't think I'd enjoy the course nearly as much. Really scared about a gap year though, I'd be terrified of wasting it, or not being able to find relevant work experience etc.
It is indeed closer to home but it too has a good reputation.
She really loved the feel of the place and as she will be spending 4 years minimum there, needed to feel totally comfortable.
She loved St Andrews too but Stirling had the edge.
Original post by calumstewart
Sorry to hear about both of your rejections.

I also heard back yesterday with a rejection for English and Modern History, and I'm gutted - St Andrews was always my 1st choice and leagues ahead of the other universities I'd applied to, so I'm not sure if I'll take a gap year and reapply for 2018 entry or not. I don't want to sound self-righteous, but I'm just a bit baffled, I more than met the minimum requirements, and I've got unconditionals for my other choices, so my PS couldn't be that bad. It sounds stupid, I could just settle and go to Edinburgh, but St Andrews has always been my dream uni, and I don't think I'd enjoy the course nearly as much. Really scared about a gap year though, I'd be terrified of wasting it, or not being able to find relevant work experience etc.

Sorry to hear that :frown:

I understand, technically Oxford was my first choice but I think St Andrews always really was, absolutely love the place and on the train home from the open day I just kept thinking 'I can't wait to hopefully go back there'. I think it's worth a second shot, at least for me, as I just didn't think I'd enjoy the places I have offers from as much and it's three or four years of my life and a lot of money, so I need to be sure. Don't feel like you have to just settle! The thought of a gap year is terrifying me, but hopefully I can make it worthwhile. I more than met the minimum requirements too, and thought I had a really good chance, but just guess they didn't think I fit the course. It was my favourite course out of all the ones I applied to - I'm such a modernist and the chance to study history from 1485 was just gold, which is probably why I'm so gutted.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it'll work out for the best! :smile:
Sorry to hear that :frown:

I understand, technically Oxford was my first choice but I think St Andrews always really was, absolutely love the place and on the train home from the open day I just kept thinking 'I can't wait to hopefully go back there'. I think it's worth a second shot, at least for me, as I just didn't think I'd enjoy the places I have offers from as much and it's three or four years of my life and a lot of money, so I need to be sure. Don't feel like you have to just settle! The thought of a gap year is terrifying me, but hopefully I can make it worthwhile. I more than met the minimum requirements too, and thought I had a really good chance, but just guess they didn't think I fit the course. It was my favourite course out of all the ones I applied to - I'm such a modernist and the chance to study history from 1485 was just gold, which is probably why I'm so gutted.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it'll work out for the best! :smile:

Is anybody (like me) still waiting for an offer/rejection? I am EU.
Reply 1515
Is there a Facebook group chat for St Andrews? I can't seem to find anyone who is in it! >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nalle
Is there a Facebook group chat for St Andrews? I can't seem to find anyone who is in it! >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile

Send me a friend request and I'll add you to it :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/ombtom
Reply 1517
Original post by ombtom
Send me a friend request and I'll add you to it :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/ombtom

Okay, thank you very much! :biggrin:
Reply 1518
Original post by AGATHELB
Is anybody (like me) still waiting for an offer/rejection? I am EU.

Yes, still waiting, from the US. Applied in October for computer science.
Just got rejected for chemistry with medicinal chemistry, I am EU. I am going to study in Germany now, I don't quite know what to do because I really was hoping for St Andrews.

Nevertheless, good luck to all of you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending