Skengdo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So i have been offered the chance to gain the CIMA qualification working at GSK. Alternatively, i can gain the ACA working at a top 10 accountancy firm. Which is better and why.

In terms of global influence, GSK is massive, operating in over 100 countries and its in the top 5 FTSE 100. However, the accountancy firm also has somewhat of a global prescence with offices in close to a 100 countries as well, although not as large in scale as GSK.
I've read that ACA qualified earn more than CIMA/ACCA, however, would the fact that GSK is such a big company offset that perceived lower salary? The offer from GSK also highlights 6 month performance based reviews which increase salary, yearly bonuses and other benefits however i assume alot of companies offer this?
Any thoughts?
Yaboi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ACA is far more valuable
Skengdo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yaboi)
ACA is far more valuable
And what are you basing that statement off if i may ask
Yaboi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Skengdo)
And what are you basing that statement off if i may ask
You can basically do everything with it, imo ACA auditting at a top 10 firm is far more valuable than a CIMA/Finance at a large industry firm.
Skengdo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yaboi)
You can basically do everything with it, imo ACA auditting at a top 10 firm is far more valuable than a CIMA/Finance at a large industry firm.
Are you aca/cima qualified or do you work in finance by any chance?
Yaboi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you aca/cima qualified or do you work in finance by any chance?
No, useto work in tax but not anymore.

Your best bet is doing some more research on your own and deciding for yourself.
Skengdo
Rep:
?
Ive tried researching but everything seems subjective, people doing ACA are saying its better for prospects whilst those doing CIMA are saying it makes no difference. The situation im in is slightly different as GSK are a massive company, the monetary and non monetary benefits of working for them could potentially offset any perceived wage difference as opposed to being ACA qualified at a top 10 firm.

The problem is what i could be saying might be totally incorrect, which is why im looking for a second opinion, preferably a professional one who has either qualification or any knowledge in the real world about differences in wages and prospects.
Tbx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ive tried researching but everything seems subjective, people doing ACA are saying its better for prospects whilst those doing CIMA are saying it makes no difference. The situation im in is slightly different as GSK are a massive company, the monetary and non monetary benefits of working for them could potentially offset any perceived wage difference as opposed to being ACA qualified at a top 10 firm.

The problem is what i could be saying might be totally incorrect, which is why im looking for a second opinion, preferably a professional one who has either qualification or any knowledge in the real world about differences in wages and prospects.
The qualifications are completely different, one is financial accounting, the other is management accounting.
Skengdo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tbx)
The qualifications are completely different, one is financial accounting, the other is management accounting.
Do you know of any noticeable differences which would prevent progression career wise and salary wise?
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you know of any noticeable differences which would prevent progression career wise and salary wise?
If you qualify in public practice at a decent firm you'll be able to move into industry at a higher level than you would be at the same point in your career starting in industry. Though if you really love costing by all means take the GSK job. You can go nearly all CIMA jobs as an AcA but not necessarily the other way round. The ACA is tougher though, I'm about to start professional level and the volume is quite intense.
gingerwizard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So i have been offered the chance to gain the CIMA qualification working at GSK. Alternatively, i can gain the ACA working at a top 10 accountancy firm. Which is better and why.

In terms of global influence, GSK is massive, operating in over 100 countries and its in the top 5 FTSE 100. However, the accountancy firm also has somewhat of a global prescence with offices in close to a 100 countries as well, although not as large in scale as GSK.
I've read that ACA qualified earn more than CIMA/ACCA, however, would the fact that GSK is such a big company offset that perceived lower salary? The offer from GSK also highlights 6 month performance based reviews which increase salary, yearly bonuses and other benefits however i assume alot of companies offer this?
Any thoughts?
What was the application process for gsk like and where is the positon based?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Skengdo
Rep:
?
(Original post by gingerwizard)
What was the application process for gsk like and where is the positon based?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The application process varies according to scheme and level of entry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (20)
28.17%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.86%
No I am happy with my choice (40)
56.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.63%

Watched Threads