The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Chemistry offer holder, would like to switch to Chemical Engineering?

Hi,

First a bit about me, I think i'm counted as a 'mature' student after dropping out of Middlesex University and also returning from a scholarship from the USA. I returned from the US in the summer and due to a injury couldn't go back out and complete my studies as it was a sports scholarship. I re-enrolled at Middlesex, where I was for one year prior to leaving for the USA but quickly realized I couldn't deal with the environment there. Wanted something more challenging with better prospects.

So I dropped out, started to resit some A-Level modules. First sitting I got ABD in Chem, Biology and Math. My results were affected as again got injured right around Easter time and was bed bound for eight weeks so missed all the C4, M1 and some C3 teaching. Also didn't help for Bio5. My school didn't enter me for any mitigating circumstances and so I went to Middlesex, without thinking to resit then. STUPID ME!! At the time I wasn't sure about how university rankings worked and the importance of a good degree from a good university.

So I am currently resitting S1. M1, C3, C4 and Biology unit 1. My predicted grades are AAA and I managed to get an offer (SOOO SURPRISED FOR SUCH AN AMAZING OFFER) from Imperial for Chemistry with Management. I also applied for the Bsc Chemistry and got the same offer. Did the same to UCL to both courses and got an AAB which im super pleased about. Wasn't aware at the time, I just wanted to maximize my chances of getting in, but with hindsight I shouldn't have applied twice to each course.

I have started to love my math now as I understand the material whereas before I hated it because I didn't understand it. I've even started trying to learn some uni level math online to get a slight head start for university. For quite some time now I've wanted to change the Bsc Chemistry at Imperial to Chemical Engineering (but keeping Chem with Management), the more I read into the subject the more I like it. I think my new found affinity for maths is pushing it. I have stalked so many threads on here so I know it isn't just 'Applied Chemistry'. Would want to change my Chemistry offer at UCL to ChemE also but I've heard bad things about the department.

Do you think I have a shot? The maximum I can get in my exams is A*AA because that's all I can sit because I still have to work now to get an income to live on and find time to study. I was hoping to achieve A*AA and call Imperial up on results day and check if I can make the switch. Would it be better to email admissions now and see? Little stuck as what to do here. I know how competitive ChemE is at Imperial and how they've thrown 3A* offers this year so don't particularly like my chances. Any advice?

Sorry for the long winded message, just wanted to get the full picture across. Wish I had the opportunity to apply to Oxbridge :frown:.
P.S. I graduated in the USA with Summa *** Laude Honors with an AA in Liberal Arts (Not the most challenging but at the time I was focused on pro sports).
Original post by AJA1994
Hi,

First a bit about me, I think i'm counted as a 'mature' student after dropping out of Middlesex University and also returning from a scholarship from the USA. I returned from the US in the summer and due to a injury couldn't go back out and complete my studies as it was a sports scholarship. I re-enrolled at Middlesex, where I was for one year prior to leaving for the USA but quickly realized I couldn't deal with the environment there. Wanted something more challenging with better prospects.

So I dropped out, started to resit some A-Level modules. First sitting I got ABD in Chem, Biology and Math. My results were affected as again got injured right around Easter time and was bed bound for eight weeks so missed all the C4, M1 and some C3 teaching. Also didn't help for Bio5. My school didn't enter me for any mitigating circumstances and so I went to Middlesex, without thinking to resit then. STUPID ME!! At the time I wasn't sure about how university rankings worked and the importance of a good degree from a good university.

So I am currently resitting S1. M1, C3, C4 and Biology unit 1. My predicted grades are AAA and I managed to get an offer (SOOO SURPRISED FOR SUCH AN AMAZING OFFER) from Imperial for Chemistry with Management. I also applied for the Bsc Chemistry and got the same offer. Did the same to UCL to both courses and got an AAB which im super pleased about. Wasn't aware at the time, I just wanted to maximize my chances of getting in, but with hindsight I shouldn't have applied twice to each course.

I have started to love my math now as I understand the material whereas before I hated it because I didn't understand it. I've even started trying to learn some uni level math online to get a slight head start for university. For quite some time now I've wanted to change the Bsc Chemistry at Imperial to Chemical Engineering (but keeping Chem with Management), the more I read into the subject the more I like it. I think my new found affinity for maths is pushing it. I have stalked so many threads on here so I know it isn't just 'Applied Chemistry'. Would want to change my Chemistry offer at UCL to ChemE also but I've heard bad things about the department.

Do you think I have a shot? The maximum I can get in my exams is A*AA because that's all I can sit because I still have to work now to get an income to live on and find time to study. I was hoping to achieve A*AA and call Imperial up on results day and check if I can make the switch. Would it be better to email admissions now and see? Little stuck as what to do here. I know how competitive ChemE is at Imperial and how they've thrown 3A* offers this year so don't particularly like my chances. Any advice?

Sorry for the long winded message, just wanted to get the full picture across. Wish I had the opportunity to apply to Oxbridge :frown:.
P.S. I graduated in the USA with Summa *** Laude Honors with an AA in Liberal Arts (Not the most challenging but at the time I was focused on pro sports).

No offense but I think you shouldn't even bother contacting them.... as you said they have been giving out 3A* offers.... your predicted grades are just 3As.... on top of that you are resitting.... wait do they know you are resitting?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
No offense but I think you shouldn't even bother contacting them.... as you said they have been giving out 3A* offers.... your predicted grades are just 3As.... on top of that you are resitting.... wait do they know you are resitting?

Yeah mentioned dropping out of uni and why I did so and they were fine with it I presume? As I've got an offer for Chem
Original post by AJA1994
Yeah mentioned dropping out of uni and why I did so and they were fine with it I presume? As I've got an offer for Chem

I think you should be rather happy for even getting an offer.... that too from somewhere like Imperial... or you could decline their offer and apply this year for chemical engineering... i mean for 2018 entry.....
Reply 4
I think you should be rather happy for even getting an offer.... that too from somewhere like Imperial... or you could decline their offer and apply this year for chemical engineering... i mean for 2018 entry.....

Bit old to wait another year so not really an option unfortunately... Very grateful for the offer I must say, think it was the interview that secured it
Original post by AJA1994
Bit old to wait another year so not really an option unfortunately... Very grateful for the offer I must say, think it was the interview that secured it

Well, congrats on your offer! :smile:.... may i ask what GCSEs you had?...
Reply 6
Well, congrats on your offer! :smile:.... may i ask what GCSEs you had?...

Thanks!! 2A*s 6As, B and that double Distinction in ICT thing (Think that equates to practically nothing lol) State school too
A change to chemical engineering won't be possible due to you lacking both physics and further maths, as well as your lower predicted grades. You'd have to take these and reapply for even a basic shot.

As a current 1st year Imperial Chemist, I can tell you now it's a fantastic department. I've had a fantastic time and highly encourage you to go here. Any questions, feel free to ask.
Reply 8
Original post by longsightdon
A change to chemical engineering won't be possible due to you lacking both physics and further maths, as well as your lower predicted grades. You'd have to take these and reapply for even a basic shot.

As a current 1st year Imperial Chemist, I can tell you now it's a fantastic department. I've had a fantastic time and highly encourage you to go here. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Hey thanks for the reply, would you prefer a private message or can we talk here? I was hoping you could shed some light on the social life you've experienced there and how the teaching and support is?
Original post by AJA1994
Hey thanks for the reply, would you prefer a private message or can we talk here? I was hoping you could shed some light on the social life you've experienced there and how the teaching and support is?

send me a pm with your questions :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending