The Student Room Group

If You Want To Further Trans Rights Stop Making Enemies Of Allies

The whole alphabet soup abbreviation debate is nothing more than an indulgence that alienates would-be allies. It is even used to demonise those who are not aware of the current invention from the self-appointed "leaders" at LGBTTIQQ2SA HQ.

At best this is self-sabotage, at worst it's indulgent sanctimony set up to allow the most disingenuous activists a platform to peacock their nauseating righteousness from.

http://thesatedire.com/news/world-news/alphabetti-spaghetti-vomit-man-praised-for-trans-rights-message/
Reply 1
Original post by Mathemagicien
And despite this "self-sabotage", the future is looking increasingly hopeful for transgenders, and others in the LGBTABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ community, in the UK and US at least (because the youth in these countries are much more liberal, even if current governments are not transfriendly).

I agree on both accounts, but how is naming it LGBTQQIAAP helpful in anyway to the cause? It only arms the enemy and such tactics are constantly used to shame those who refuse to join in with the absurdity or who have not receieved the messaged from LGBTQQIAAP HQ.

If society is going to change you have to engage society, this alienates the ignorant rather than educates them.
Original post by Damien96
LGBTQQIAAP

Lesbian gay bi trans queer queer arms arms penis?

I am confused.
LGBT are the only meaningful parts of the alphabet soup. Queer just means "very gay", or maybe "trans but doesn't know it yet". Intersex means "dodgy genitals", so doesn't really need to be in the acronym. Pansexual is the same as bisexual, as there are two genders. I don't know or care what the other letters mean, but they're irrelevant anyway.

As for transpeople, they'd be liked a whole lot more if they simply transitioned and lived their life (which a lot do), there's no need to be an activist as transpeople have all the rights they need. Acting like cis and/or straight people are the devil is just pointless.

Oh, and the whole "genderless" thing is stupid.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MildredMalone
LGBT are the only meaningful parts of the alphabet soup. Queer just means "very gay", or maybe "trans but doesn't know it yet". Intersex means "dodgy genitals", so doesn't really need to be in the acronym. Pansexual is the same as bisexual, as there are two genders. I don't know or care what the other letters mean, but they're irrelevant anyway.

As for transpeople, they'd be liked a whole lot more if they simply transitioned and lived their life (which a lot do), there's no need to be an activist as transpeople have all the rights they need. Acting like cis and/or straight people are the devil is just pointless.

Oh, and the whole "genderless" thing is stupid.

I almost entirely disagree with your dismissing of people's sexuality and categorisation, I don't care how people live their lives or what might make them "liked".

But I agree with LGBT being as precise a term as is necessary.
Reply 5
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Lesbian gay bi trans queer queer arms arms penis?

I am confused.

You are legophobic! (I mean you didn't mention legs, not that you are afraid of lego).
Most people just say LGBT+. How did this turn into making enemies out of allies again???
Reply 7
Original post by prazzyjazzy
Most people just say LGBT+. How did this turn into making enemies out of allies again???

Take the silly glasses off and read the OP? Feel free to disagree but it would help if you explained why you disagree.

PS - I like the glasses really.
Reply 8
That is farcical, yes.
Allies that can be 'alienated' were never allies in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending