The Student Room Group

EU student finance

Hello, I am currently living in Hungary and I am planning to study in England in University of Sussex from September 2017. Could you help me on the following questions?: As an EU student can I guarantely get the full tution fee loan in all 3 or 4 years until my course ends or it depends on my parents' income? They cannot support my study, so I would need loan for the living costs too. Under what circumstances are we eligible for loan for living costs including my parents' HH income? If I have to withdraw from the course earlier because of financial reasons, when will I have to start to repay the loans? Immidiately or after starting to work. If I apply for accomodation now, is there any commitment to the school, for example that I have to pay the accomondation even if I cannot go.
Reply 1
Original post by asri
Hello, I am currently living in Hungary and I am planning to study in England in University of Sussex from September 2017. Could you help me on the following questions?: As an EU student can I guarantely get the full tution fee loan in all 3 or 4 years until my course ends or it depends on my parents' income? They cannot support my study, so I would need loan for the living costs too. Under what circumstances are we eligible for loan for living costs including my parents' HH income? If I have to withdraw from the course earlier because of financial reasons, when will I have to start to repay the loans? Immidiately or after starting to work. If I apply for accomodation now, is there any commitment to the school, for example that I have to pay the accomondation even if I cannot go.

You are not eligible for the maintenance loan. Unfortunately, you can only get a tuition fee loan.
Original post by asri

The only way an EU national can be eligible for a maintenance loan is if:
1. They are a migrant worker- this means being resident and working in the UK on or before the 1st September and continuing to work for the duration of the course.
2. They are a child of a migrant worker- i.e. a parent works in the UK
3. They have been resident in the UK for 5 years or more prio to the start of the course for reasons other than education

Afraid you should really have thought about finance before you applied to universities here.
Reply 3
Original post by asri
As an EU student can I guarantely get the full tution fee loan in all 3 or 4 years until my course ends or it depends on my parents' income?

As per the other replies but note the tuition fee loan is not means tested. You can get it no matter what your parents income is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
As others said, you can apply and get full tuition loan which you would start paying off in tiny amount once you earn 21k or more.

You won't be eligible for maintenance loan which is the money you get for living costs. I suggest you check if the government in Hungary has some sort of loan for people wanting to study in a different country or if the university has any scholarships or bursaries to cover your costs.
Reply 5
Hey guys does anyone know when it will be possible to sent the application (I am EU full time student) for starting my studies sept2017 because each time I login into SFE it says "There are currently no undergraduate applications available."
Many thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by Sally_A
Hey guys does anyone know when it will be possible to sent the application (I am EU full time student) for starting my studies sept2017 because each time I login into SFE it says "There are currently no undergraduate applications available."
Many thanks!

EU applications are paper based last time I checked. So unless you are EU national who's been in UK for 5 years and is considered a home student, you'll have to download and print off the paper application
Edit.
Seems like paper applications have not been opened yet for EU students
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Devify
EU applications are paper based last time I checked. So unless you are EU national who's been in UK for 5 years and is considered a home student, you'll have to download and print off the paper application

Yes its true, however there is still no form after the last step it says "EU full-time studentYou can’t apply for the 2017 to 2018 academic year yet." Do you have any idea when they download this year form??
Many thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Sally_A
Yes its true, however there is still no form after the last step it says "EU full-time studentYou can’t apply for the 2017 to 2018 academic year yet." Do you have any idea when they download this year form??
Many thanks!

Sorry, I don't know. You can follow a different thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4574888

It should be updated once EU applications are open
Reply 9
Hey guys, are those the paper application that EU students need to fill if they have not been living in the UK before?
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/eu-full-time/year-1718/new-student
Original post by jelly1000
The only way an EU national can be eligible for a maintenance loan is if:
1. They are a migrant worker- this means being resident and working in the UK on or before the 1st September and continuing to work for the duration of the course.
2. They are a child of a migrant worker- i.e. a parent works in the UK
3. They have been resident in the UK for 5 years or more prio to the start of the course for reasons other than education

Afraid you should really have thought about finance before you applied to universities here.

My mother has been working in the UK since 22nd March 2014 and my course starts on 16th September 2017. Does that mean I am eligible for a maintenance loan? :confused: Because as far as I knew, I am not eligible for it since I did not live in the UK for five years.
Original post by Michiyo
My mother has been working in the UK since 22nd March 2014 and my course starts on 16th September 2017. Does that mean I am eligible for a maintenance loan? :confused: Because as far as I knew, I am not eligible for it since I did not live in the UK for five years.

I'm afraid I'm not finding a clear answer on that, one uni website says you must have been living in the UK for 3 years with your parent, another says you just need to be living in the UK from the 1 September in the year your course starts.
Original post by jelly1000
I'm afraid I'm not finding a clear answer on that, one uni website says you must have been living in the UK for 3 years with your parent, another says you just need to be living in the UK from the 1 September in the year your course starts.

I knew the living in the UK with the parent rule, so that means just having a migrant worker as a parent is not enough to get a maintenance loan; the child must have lived there too. :h:

Then again, I will go to Exeter, which I do not find to be the best for student finance, so I know I am not eligible for anything other than the tuition fee loan :laugh:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending