The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Edit out the swearing to make it totally halal thread :tongue:
I remember checking on iSOC @HAnwar talking about jalebi. it got me thinking, what is your fav asian /middle easter dessert &, if you make it, you know any recipes for it.
Original post by IdeasForLife
Edit out the swearing to make it totally halal thread :tongue:

technically saying the term f***n isnt swearing, it is me just using the letters f & n :tongue: (shame on you for thinking I was swearing :biggrin:)
Anyone else get asked "what happens if you eat gelatine/pork?" Like what do you expect to happen :rofl:
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
Anyone else get asked "what happens if you eat gelatine/pork?" Like what do you expect to happen :rofl:

havent really been asked that tbh as I know a lot of veggies (by choice / religion)

the one which confuses a lot of people is the no alcohol rule. you tell people you dont drink and they look at you like some kinda ghost :lol:
Reply 6
Original post by quasa
I remember checking on iSOC @HAnwar talking about jalebi. it got me thinking, what is your fav asian /middle easter dessert &, if you make it, you know any recipes for it.

Don't think that was me bro.
I like them all tbh. Kheer, seviyan, halwa, rasmalai.
I can post some links another day. Saves me from typing up recipes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who likes Firni (rice flour based dessert)?

Its so easy to make and so yum!

Also made karahi lamb today :biggrin:

I could do with some new recipes tbh!
Original post by HAnwar
Don't think that was me bro.
I like them all tbh. Kheer, seviyan, halwa, rasmalai.
I can post some links another day. Saves me from typing up recipes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

fair enough

never heard of seviyan (is that shew (vermicelli in latin-derived languages))?
Original post by quasa
havent really been asked that tbh as I know a lot of veggies (by choice / religion)

the one which confuses a lot of people is the no alcohol rule. you tell people you dont drink and they look at you like some kinda ghost :lol:

Yeah I get that too it's like nobody can believe that you've never drank alcohol
Someone actually has a good explanation for no pork?
Answers I get from muslims are: Its a dirty animal.
Me: explain further
Muslim: Idk? Its just a dirty animal
Me: -.- ok?

Random stranger: Why dont you eat sea cucumber?
Me: its look gross as fk
Me show picture
Random stranger: Yeah I get it now, good explanation

Reply 11
Original post by quasa
fair enough

never heard of seviyan (is that shew (vermicelli in latin-derived languages))?

Idk what that means.

It's known by a lot of names tho. It's basically this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by LotusBlue

Omd that is like firni/phirni, Afghans main dessert. We use corn flour.

I love lamb meat.

Original post by quasa

That was me lol.
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
Yeah I get that too it's like nobody can believe that you've never drank alcohol

but the annoying thing about alcohol is you have to be careful about what foods contain certain ingredients.

more or less all extracts, essences of flavours (e.g. vanilla, almond, pistachio etc) are dissolved in alcohol as they denature in water (the irony is that the moors are the people who invented this method of flavour preservation /enhancement).

virtually most desserts that are shop brought contain vanilla extract, which is haram by virtue of being dissolved in ethanol.
Original post by Somepersonhere
Someone actually has a good explanation for no pork?
Answers I get from muslims are: Its a dirty animal.
Me: explain further
Muslim: Idk? Its just a dirty animal
Me: -.- ok?

Random stranger: Why dont you eat sea cucumber?
Me: its look gross as fk
Me show picture
Random stranger: Yeah I get it now, good explanation

is sea cucumber (chitchumber in marathi) a veg or animal. if veg, I wouldnt mind trying tbh. if animal - no way
Original post by HAnwar
Idk what that means.

It's known by a lot of names tho. It's basically this

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh, tis vermicelli / shew (the one in tonnes of milk in marathi is known as shurkurmo - or something like that).
Original post by LotusBlue

firni is lush (shame i have problems with rice but love firni and kheer). im considering trying to, inshallah, make a kheer / firni recipe with squash. apparently in india, u can get kheer which is made with bophlo (squash/gourd), as well as gazar (carrot).

personally I want to see if almond milk can be used as a substitute for cream / whole milk in a lot of dishes.
Original post by quasa
is sea cucumber (chitchumber in marathi) a veg or animal. if veg, I wouldnt mind trying tbh. if animal - no way

Sea cucumbers are echinoderms from the class Holothuroidea. They are marine animals with a leathery skin and an elongated body containing a single, branched gonad. Sea cucumbers are found on the sea floor worldwide

- Copied from wikipedia
Original post by Somepersonhere
Sea cucumbers are echinoderms from the class Holothuroidea. They are marine animals with a leathery skin and an elongated body containing a single, branched gonad. Sea cucumbers are found on the sea floor worldwide

- Copied from wikipedia

yikes. definately aint touching that
Reply 19
Original post by quasa
yh, tis vermicelli / shew (the one in tonnes of milk in marathi is known as shurkurmo - or something like that).

Ah didn't know the names. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest