The Student Room Group

Clubs & societies

How many clubs and societies is best to join during the first year of uni? I want to go to Brunel and study a language, join 2 clubs (skydiving and scuba diving), and 2 societies (musical theatre and the wildlife and environmental conservation). All of this would be on top of a Creative Writing bachelors degree. Then in my second year I would love to study abroad for a term.

How much of this do you reckon is actually achievable? I'm not planning on going out drinking every night or anything like that, so my social life is pretty much free. That being said, I don't want to overload myself too much either.
Reply 1
Original post by lotthamm
How many clubs and societies is best to join during the first year of uni? I want to go to Brunel and study a language, join 2 clubs (skydiving and scuba diving), and 2 societies (musical theatre and the wildlife and environmental conservation). All of this would be on top of a Creative Writing bachelors degree. Then in my second year I would love to study abroad for a term.

How much of this do you reckon is actually achievable? I'm not planning on going out drinking every night or anything like that, so my social life is pretty much free. That being said, I don't want to overload myself too much either.

It's not necessarily about how many you join but you do need to be realistic. It's not really practical to be joining 20 societies, paying for the membership and only attending 2 societies in the whole year or spending all your time trying to attend all 20 society events throughout the year. It must also be noted that it's something you do as a part of university life, you ideally want something to balance between your studies and social life. Don't join for the sake of joining, you've named 2 clubs and 2 societies which you are interested in and I think is reasonable. You're not obligated to go to their events every time anyway, it's entirely at your leisure so it would be fine if you know how to manage your time.
Original post by lotthamm

Hi,

I wouldn’t advise coming to university and joining lots of societies and clubs straight away, maybe start out with one and see how you cope with that in balance with your course. I found it useful here at Derby to just spend my first weeks getting used to the course and settling into halls as it is a big adjustment and it takes a while to figure out even how to just have a dinner sorted for every night when you get back from uni. Then start joining more if you feel you have the time to spare for them. Bear in mind that depending on how your course is structured, the amount of work you need to do for your course may increase when it gets nearer to deadlines and exams so don’t do loads of societies in the first few weeks as you’ll realise later on in the year, that although you weren’t timetabled for many hours in the week, the rest of those free hours you may need for studying.

Hope this helps,

Molly

Quick Reply

Latest