The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I agree, there are many mature students in my year, many of them graduate entry. Most of them are in a better place mentally and experience wise to study medicine imo.

go for it!
Reply 2
Original post by squeak
I agree, there are many mature students in my year, many of them graduate entry. Most of them are in a better place mentally and experience wise to study medicine imo.

go for it!

Thank you for you're positive words squeak. What year are you in and which Medical School? I hope you are enjoying you're experience
I think there is an age limit - i think starting training at 60 would just be wasting resources. But also that real world experience does add to your ability as a clinician too. Some med schools seem to take age more strictly than others - i think the oldest student in my med school was 33 on starting (from the three year groups I'm aware of), but i hear that at others you sometimes get people in their 50s.
Reply 4
I started in Sept and I am 33-I'm the oldest in my year.It is the best decision I
ever made.There is about 60 mature/grads on my course out of 250.If it's what you want to do then go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Lpo
I started in Sept and I am 33-I'm the oldest in my year.It is the best decision I
ever made.There is about 60 mature/grads on my course out of 250.If it's what you want to do then go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for you're encouragement
Reply 6
Original post by nexttime
I think there is an age limit - i think starting training at 60 would just be wasting resources. But also that real world experience does add to your ability as a clinician too. Some med schools seem to take age more strictly than others - i think the oldest student in my med school was 33 on starting (from the three year groups I'm aware of), but i hear that at others you sometimes get people in their 50s.

I hear that they state, that they don't discriminate but as you said, somebody starting medical school at aged 60 would be a waste of resources . I'm very surprised and inspired by people in their 50s are still applying. They must still have that zest for learning and working towards their unfulfilled dreams. There is nothing worse than having regrets and living an unfulfilled life. Good for them I say!
Reply 7
Original post by swarovski
I hear that they state, that they don't discriminate but as you said, somebody starting medical school at aged 60 would be a waste of resources . I'm very surprised and inspired by people in their 50s are still applying. They must still have that zest for learning and working towards their unfulfilled dreams. There is nothing worse than having regrets and living an unfulfilled life. Good for them I say!

Attending open days for the graduate entry medicine at Nottingham was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the day. I attended Twice in fact. It was so interesting to meet potential applicants from different professions, who could definitely bring an added bonus to the profession and also talking with students, who were in the process of finishing non- healthcare undergraduate degrees and listening to their motivations as to why they wanted to apply. It was an awe inspiring eye opener for me.
Reply 8
Nottingham medic here.
The oldest person on the GEM course (2015 cohort) is 50. But most of them are in their late 20s
Reply 9
Original post by Nottie
Nottingham medic here.
The oldest person on the GEM course (2015 cohort) is 50. But most of them are in their late 20s

When I attended the open day, there were people of various ages. Hope you are enjoying you're experience at Nottingham. My feeling of the GEM at Nottingham, was very nurturing and supportive?
There were probably about 30 graduate students in my cohort (at Sheffield University), but only about ten of us were 25+ when we started. The oldest was 35 at the start of first year. It's pretty common for med students not to come to the degree fresh out of secondary school. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending