The Student Room Group

Where have you been in the USA/where would you like to?

I've never been but decided I'm going to visit this summer. I love nightlife, beaches and culture. However I also prefer to avoid overly touristic places (New York can wait).

So where have you been and what did you think?
Original post by Uni Kid
I've never been but decided I'm going to visit this summer. I love nightlife, beaches and culture. However I also prefer to avoid overly touristic places (New York can wait).

Oh gosh, it's such a gigantic country you could pick so many! From what you've said you like, California is the obvious choice. But I like Seattle as a city, which is rather different! What about elsewhere on the eastern seaboard apart from New York - culture abounds!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Oh gosh, it's such a gigantic country you could pick so many! From what you've said you like, California is the obvious choice. But I like Seattle as a
city, which is rather different! What about elsewhere on the eastern seaboard apart from New York - culture abounds!

Hey, thanks for the info! Am I right in thinking Seattle is less caked in Brits relative to California? Seattle does sound interesting!
Florida. Would love to visit Alaska
Original post by Uni Kid
Am I right in thinking Seattle is less caked in Brits relative to California?

Yes, that was my experience of it - and it's a really interesting, vibrant city. If you do go, allow far more time to get anywhere you need to than you think you'll need - the traffic is truly, truly awful! But that's just a minor downside for a non-resident visitor - there's a huge amount to see, do and experience.
Never been to the US and I can't say it's near the top of my bucket list, but I think it would be fun to do a road trip from Maine to California. I'd like to see if Iowa really is as flat and boring as Bill Bryson makes out.
I am super obsessed with US, I love to live in Los Angles/California
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, that was my experience of it - and it's a really interesting, vibrant city. If you do go, allow far more time to get anywhere you need to than you think you'll need - the traffic is truly, truly awful! But that's just a minor downside for a non-resident visitor - there's a huge amount to see, do and experience.

Thanks! I will note the traffic. I'm going for 2 weeks so hopefully it'll be at least enough time to have a good time!

Is the stereotype of many people being fascinated by the English accent really a thing in either California or Seattle? Part of me thinks it'll initially be cool, and end up a bit tedious.
I had a friend who visited Chicago and apparently it wasn't rare for people to squeel "OMG are you British??"
(edited 7 years ago)
Not sure where to, but yeah I'd like to go.

Of course this is providing that they let me in.
Original post by HamzahPatel
Not sure where to, but yeah I'd like to go.

Of course this is providing that they let me in.

What do you mean providing? Lol the ban?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Habina786xx
What do you mean providing? Lol the ban?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm not under their ban conditions, but you know, I'm brown and muslim.
And there have been many other brown/muslim people stopped for no apparent reason
I have an auntie who lives in Savannah, Georgia and she always mentions how amazing it is #biased

I dont blame her though, the place has such beautiful historic buildings and it is also a coastal town too (So theres a Beach too), and best of all its not a touristy place unlike Atlanta, GA.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HamzahPatel
Well I'm not under their ban conditions, but you know, I'm brown and muslim.
And there have been many other brown/muslim people stopped for no apparent reason

Yeah same, but I wouldn't say they check like deliberately it's only if they're suspicious. Amir Khan was sent back to the UK A few years ago cause they were suspicious.. even though his wife has an American nationality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Uni Kid

I've been to NYC, it's a taller London with a dreadful underground system. I've also been to LA which I loved and one day I hope to move there, I've also been to Vegas where a lost a lot of money but the experience is one I'll never forget.

I'd like to go to Miami at some point but I wouldn't go back to NYC, I prefer the warmer climates.
I've been to Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia. Extraordinarily friendly people - as long as you're white. Also been to DC and NYC.

I want to go to Colorado or the pacific coast - fantastic long-distance hiking.

Original post by Uni Kid
Is the stereotype of many people being fascinated by the English accent really a thing in either California or Seattle? Part of me thinks it'll initially be cool, and end up a bit tedious.
I had a friend who visited Chicago and apparently it wasn't rare for people to squeel "OMG are you British??"

This happens a lot in the Deep South. Its more sweet than tedious.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest