The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology 2017 Scientific Article - *NEW SPECIFICATION* (9BN0/03)

Hi guys,

Didn't find a thread based on this topic, so I thought I'd start one. This is for the *NEW* specification Biology A (SNAB) (Unit/Paper 3) Scientific article 2017.

Will be posting it once its released/or I find a link of it. I do think it's out but not on the website yet. If people do have it, what do you guys think of it?

*UPDATE*
Hey guys, just as an update. I can't find the edexcel exam style copy of the article but I did find the actual article - each paragraph corresponds to each paragraph in the edexcel version (believe me, I checked). The pictures with the captions are also in the edexcel version!

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/41990/title/The-Energy-of-Life/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Bahcaci
Hi guys,

Didn't find a thread based on this topic, so I thought I'd start one. This is for the *NEW* specification Biology A (SNAB) (Unit/Paper 3) Scientific article 2017.

Will be posting it once its released/or I find a link of it. I do think it's out but not on the website yet. If people do have it, what do you guys think of it?

*UPDATE*
Hey guys, just as an update. I can't find the edexcel exam style copy of the article but I did find the actual article - each paragraph corresponds to each paragraph in the edexcel version (believe me, I checked). The pictures with the captions are also in the edexcel version!

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/41990/title/The-Energy-of-Life/

My class received the scientific article for paper 3 and we went through it today. Apparently its much shorter than usual so that's good news. Overall I found it okay. How did you find it? Hopefully everyone that does the new Edexcel Biology A (SNAB) will discuss the questions that may come up and analyse the article on this thread.
Reply 2
Original post by Tima.H
My class received the scientific article for paper 3 and we went through it today. Apparently its much shorter than usual so that's good news. Overall I found it okay. How did you find it? Hopefully everyone that does the new Edexcel Biology A (SNAB) will discuss the questions that may come up and analyse the article on this thread.

I found it ok tbh. Its quite straightforward but there's a lot of ways I reckon Edexcel can twist the questions but overall not that bad. And yes, didn't find a thread based on this specification & article so i thought it'll be useful to start one and share some ideas and revision 😊
i got the article yesterday and have had a quick read over it and found that they have included alot of topics, we haven't been through it in class yet but will b going over it soon predicting questions as we go along.
im hoping to make some of my own questions as i go though it.
if anyone has any predictions on the article please share, it would be a great help.
someone save me tho ini.. this is just bs to me lol. My teachers are as useless as the end slice of a bread... there's nothing else online that can aid in my revision so this is quite literally my last resort. Please guys help me. To help me please donate to.. loool. im kidding btw - not about my :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:y teachers or about how i'm thinking of dying tho. So please guys help me in my quest for a good grade by discussing the paragraphs and thinking what might come up etc. God bless ya'll
Reply 5
So guys I've basically tried to analyse the article and made notes on all of the topics that could potentially come up, here they are: (!!! = one that's come up more than once ~ high importance topics)

!!! Enzymes (Adaptations of Enzymes) ~ Shapes/3D Structure
Respiration (Aerobic & Anaerobic) ~ Cofactors
Rate of Reactions
Photosynthesis / Photolysis / Light Dependent Reactions
Niche
!!! Productivity (NPP = GPP - R)
!!! Evolution (& Co-evolution/symbiosis)
Synthesis of molecules/enzymes
Antibiotics
ATP (& uses)

Hope that helps!! - anyone feel like they can make some practice questions so we can practice and revise with those topics? ~ feel free to add also!!
Reply 6
Original post by Bahcaci
So guys I've basically tried to analyse the article and made notes on all of the topics that could potentially come up, here they are: (!!! = one that's come up more than once ~ high importance topics)

Rate of Reactions
Niche
Antibiotics
ATP (& uses)

Hope that helps!! - anyone feel like they can make some practice questions so we can practice and revise with those topics? ~ feel free to add also!!

Paragraph 1 synoptic links are: Adaptations(topic 1), Sampling of habitats (topic 5), Definitions of ecosystem, community, population, habitat (topic 5), carbon cycle (topic 5)
Paragraph 2; Global warming (topic 5) & structure of bacteria (topic 6)
Paragraph 3: Sampling of habitats (topic 5), Definitions of ecosystem, community, population, habitat (topic 5)
Paragraph 4: Mass transport (topic 1), adaptations for exchange surface area to volume ratio (topic 2), endemisim (topic 4), Photosynthesis and niche (topic 4)
I'm just gonna list the topics cos the way i'm doing it now is taking ages so here goes:
photosynthesis (v.important to know it)
NPP/GPP
Anaerobic respiration (v.important to know it)
Cancer
3 domain theory
species def.
classification and evolution
electron transport chain and chemiosmosis
homeostasis
energy losses in food chain
carbohydrates, lipids, proteins
ATP
Enzymes
Mitosis-cell division
Antibiotics
These are from my teacher
How is biology going? I'm so stressed
is this edexcel A or B?
Reply 8
Original post by siggystardust
is this edexcel A or B?

It's Edexcel A Siggy!
Original post by Bahcaci

Rate of Reactions
Niche
Antibiotics
ATP (& uses)

Hi, please can you explain what you mean by the co factors in respiration,
thanks in advance
Reply 10
Original post by peekabooshan
Hi, please can you explain what you mean by the co factors in respiration,
thanks in advance

I think I meant coenzymes :wink:
tbh bless you for this
Reply 12
Original post by thegoddess
tbh bless you for this

No worries - hope it helps.

Lets meet up on here after to discuss - or just watch my rant tweets @ali_bahcaci (cheeky plug sorry.)
Reply 13
Original post by AlexFagg
anyone done the october 2015 specimen paper 2 and know where i can find it

Best place to look for exam papers and mark schemes is either Physicsandmathstutor.com or the exam board website!

Quick Reply