The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No doubt the roman gonazalez fight was a robbery, have a feeling al haymon was behind the robbery although this means that floyd will return to boxing to reach the undefeated record.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have got the GGG fight recorded. Awesome that Boxnation is now included in the BT sport package.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
Have got the GGG fight recorded. Awesome that Boxnation is now included in the BT sport package.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They showed the Thurman fight and are gonna show the Loma fight in a couple weeks.

BT now the place to watch UFC and boxing.
Any murmurings on the AJ Wlad undercard front yet?
GGG didn't look amazing against Jacobs, but Jacobs missed the 3-day weigh in requirement (thus forfeited his right to challenge for the IBF title (irrelevant anyway because he lost)), I think he came into the fight 180lb+, GGG probably around 170.

Jacobs also got the height and reach advantage, and is peaking, so for GGG to drop him and beat him is still pretty impressive.

I think Jacobs beats Canelo, not sure why people are using that fight to argue that Canelo beats GGG...

On another note, Spence-Brook will be an amazing fight and I really hope Brook wins.
Original post by Palmyra
GGG didn't look amazing against Jacobs, but Jacobs missed the 3-day weigh in requirement (thus forfeited his right to challenge for the IBF title (irrelevant anyway because he lost)), I think he came into the fight 180lb+, GGG probably around 170.

Jacobs also got the height and reach advantage, and is peaking, so for GGG to drop him and beat him is still pretty impressive.

I think Jacobs beats Canelo, not sure why people are using that fight to argue that Canelo beats GGG...

On another note, Spence-Brook will be an amazing fight and I really hope Brook wins.

I agree that GGG didn't look his best that was because he fought an elite fighter in Danny Jacobs.
I honestly thought that Jacobs would get KO'd within 6 rounds as he seems to have a suspect chin. He proved me wrong in this fight as he took all GGG had to give and he landed a lot in return.

I don't know why everyone's hating on Jacobs coming in 180+, he has to use everything to his advantage. It was a part of his game plan to come in heavier which I think was smart as it almost paid off.

I agree that Jacobs would beat Canelo as he's far too big, has good hand/foot speed also he possess great power.

Yh I hope brook beats Spence as we're both from Sheffield.
Probably because Jacobs is a superior boxer to GGG and Canelo's a top boxer in the division.
Reach played a big part in Jacob's ability to use the jab and stay clear of any big shots. GGG also couldn't physically dominate his opponent like he'd done previously.

But we all know how devastating Canelo is on the inside, especially his body work (which GGG has trouble dealing with) so it does make for an interesting match up. He'd probably turn up a cruiserweight too.

Its definitely not a given Canelo would win, but GGG showed he might not be the indestructible monster we all thought.
The big issue for GGG is that his resume doesn't scream pound-for-pound number one. Look at who he has beaten: a narrow win over Jacobs, an undersized and under-strength Brook, and then the likes of Lemieux, Macklin, Murray and Geale.
Original post by ALYAMAANI

I don't know why everyone's hating on Jacobs coming in 180+, he has to use everything to his advantage. It was a part of his game plan to come in heavier which I think was smart as it almost paid off.

If GGG was a pussy like Canelo he would have inserted a clause into the contract about how every pound over 170 Jacobs comes in at he loses $1m of his purse lol.

Rk2k14

Probably because Jacobs is a superior boxer to GGG. Reach played a big part in Jacob's ability to use the jab and stay clear of any big shots. GGG also couldn't physically dominate his opponent like he'd done previously.

Not really; GGG out-jabbed Jacobs in every single round:

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 20.48.43.png

But we all know how devastating Canelo is on the inside, especially his body work (which GGG has trouble dealing with) so it does make for an interesting match up. He'd probably turn up a cruiserweight too.

Its definitely not a given Canelo would win, but GGG showed he might not be the indestructible monster we all thought.

Hopefully Canelo is now as convinced as you are about how vulnerable GGG is that he stops ducking him...

Original post by Mackay
The big issue for GGG is that his resume doesn't scream pound-for-pound number one. Look at who he has beaten: a narrow win over Jacobs, an undersized and under-strength Brook, and then the likes of Lemieux, Macklin, Murray and Geale.

The problem is that the MW division is pretty weak, I think GGG agrees with that tbf, which is why he has emphasised how important a year 2017 is for him. Now he has beaten the #2 MW in the world if he finishes the year with wins over BJS and Canelo (if Canelo stops ducking him) then his resume starts looking P4P #1 level.
(edited 7 years ago)
BJS in the summer and Canelo in the fall makes complete sense for GGG
I thought Jacobs did really well but he's a good boxer and fought a really good game plan, GGG fought quite a poor fight by comparison. The reach advantage was massive, and you heard Jacobs trainer every single round emphasising the importance of the jab. GGG did quite a poor job of working around that jab, but you did see with the 4th round knockdown, poor range control by Jacobs and before he knows it he's in trouble and once that happens GGG does the damage.

I do feel GGG perhaps was not in the mood for a demolition job because despite not really having the eat anything, he seemed unwilling to turn ask how much of a fighter Jacobs was. I mean an alternate way to look at the fight is GGG got into the right with a good boxer, was happy to box, and still won without really showcasing any of his headline skill set, which he undoubtedly possesses.

GGG is on the older side, I do hope the Canelo fight happens before we start to see a decline.
Canelo-GGG will be just like Toney-Jirov. Hopefully. I see it happening in May 2018.

I had Jacobs winning by a point btw. Golovkin respected his power too much, and Jacobs looked like a super-middleweight next to GGG.
Original post by Mackay
BJS in the summer and Canelo in the fall makes complete sense for GGG

I doubt GGG will fight in the summer he just had a tough fight with Jacobs. He'll probably right again at the end of the year.
I doubt GGG will fight in the summer he just had a tough fight with Jacobs. He'll probably right again at the end of the year.

He and Abel have said they want to fight 4 times this year and want to fight next in June. He's not like Canelo who only fights twice a year! :wink:
Original post by Palmyra
He and Abel have said they want to fight 4 times this year and want to fight next in June. He's not like Canelo who only fights twice a year! :wink:

If i was GGG I'll take a rest and probably come back in September. GGG is getting up there in age so he needs the big money fights.

I like Canelo he's a good fighter but he'll get beat my golovkin.
If i was GGG I'll take a rest and probably come back in September. GGG is getting up there in age so he needs the big money fights.

I like Canelo he's a good fighter but he'll get beat by golovkin.

I think he wants the final MW belt to boost his hand in negotiations with Canelo.

BJS is also very rusty and was **** against Akavov so whilst GGG shouldn't underestimate him, I think it could be a much easier fight for him than Jacobs (even though I did rate BJS very highly, but he needs more fights before he fights GGG to have a chance).
Original post by Palmyra

So, Palmyra, how many times did Golovkin fight last year?
Original post by Kenan and Kel
So, Palmyra, how many times did Golovkin fight last year?

That was an anomaly; GGG has fought 9 times in the last 3 years (compared to 6 for Canelo).
Well if you're continually fighting pub guys then you're gonna have the higher number. Easy wins.
Original post by Rk2k14
Well if you're continually fighting pub guys then you're gonna have the higher number. Easy wins.

The best guy Canelo has fought since he lost to Floyd was Lara, and Lara clearly beat Canelo (gotta love the Mexican judge giving it to Canelo 117-111).

Latest