The Student Room Group

Wrestling with Islam.

!.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There's nothing wrong with you at all :smile:
Original post by Kyou
I guess. I've always been taught that it's okay to have doubts about Islam. But if I said some of my doubts I've been having towards some Muslims (some of my best friends actually), they'd look at me like I'm crazy.

If they really were your friends, they'd accept you regardless of religion.
Not knowledgeable at ALL on this so refrain from hating on me, but isn't people losing or questioning their faith a sign of the "day of judgement" getting closer?
I'm not Muslim - I'm Roman Catholic - but I've long felt that having doubts is a healthy part of one's religious faith, regardless of whether it's Christianity or Islam or Hinduism or whatever! There's something a bit wrong/slightly suspect if someone believes everything blindly and never wonders about/questions anything at all, imho :tongue:

I think the best thing to do is to search for potential answers to your question, from both within your faith and outside with it. Read up on answers that have been given to these questions, from leaders in your faith and your holy text, as well as what science and the secular world says. Search as hard as you can and see what answers make most sense to you. Ultimately you can only believe what makes sense to you and what seems to speak the truth to you.

I hope you find answers to the questions that are bugging you. Good luck :smile:
I think with any religion you're allowed to have doubts and question yourself about your faith, it's normal and I find it's fundamental. You're in two minds about this, whether or not you choose to stay in Islam or not, having doubts and questions is relatively normal.

Your friends and family can't judge you for this, try not to take their opinions to heart.

Best of luck
Original post by Kyou
I hate to admit this, but I'd much rather get it out then keep it locked in.

Islam plays a daily role in my life. However, over the past few months I've been having more and more doubts as to if Islam is actually true. Now, I can't fathom Islam not being true and the religion I take pride in being false. However in the back of my mind, there always seems to be things which I simply just can't explain away. Things like babies being born with cancer, kind people I know being put in hell forever, etc.

I just don't know what to do or think anymore. The thoughts I have shake my very core. I've always thought I had unwavering faith in Allah, his might, his mercy.

What should I do? Should I go and talk to other muslims? What can I do to quell these doubts?

I'm not an ex-Muslim but I do reject a lot of traditional teachings of Islam, such as the infallibility of the prophet and the Quran. Who says you have to be Muslim to believe in a God? You don't need religion to believe in the concept of a higher being.

Do not go to other Muslims. You will just end up having Quran verses quoted at you and then being told to go to a imam. If your parents are religious do not tell them either. It will just upset them. It doesn't hurt you to carry on letting your family believe you are Muslim.

The question is do you really want to carry on being Muslim when you have doubts? Things will just seem ten times more unbelievable to you. If you are still unsure then maybe read books and articles on the matter that will help you decide what to believe.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm not Muslim - I'm Roman Catholic - but I've long felt that having doubts is a healthy part of one's religious faith, regardless of whether it's Christianity or Islam or Hinduism or whatever! There's something a bit wrong/slightly suspect if someone believes everything blindly and never wonders about/questions anything at all, imho :tongue:

I think the best thing to do is to search for potential answers to your question, from both within your faith and outside with it. Read up on answers that have been given to these questions, from leaders in your faith and your holy text, as well as what science and the secular world says. Search as hard as you can and see what answers make most sense to you. Ultimately you can only believe what makes sense to you and what seems to speak the truth to you.

I hope you find answers to the questions that are bugging you. Good luck :smile:

This. This is also very much the case for atheists too. To have doubts and question your beliefs is natural. I'm always reminded of this quote by Malcolm Galdwell:

"That’s your responsibility as a person, as a human being to constantly be updating your positions on as many things as possible. And if you don’t contradict yourself on a regular basis, then you’re not thinking"
I'd encourage, however painful it may be, to truly scrutinise and look at the concepts you're finding it difficult to accept. Look at both sides of the argument and admit to yourself honestly whether Islam provides an answer that makes total logical sense. If Islam can't do this for you then it may truly be the beginning of a major shift in your worldview. Don't worry though, many of us have been through this kind of thing and even though the potential collapse of your faith may seem terrifying at this point, one day it will no longer faze you, if that is indeed the route you choose to take.
Imagine a guy that creates the world creates people creates everything then forces people to worship him build shrines for him to murder and shun for him to fast and make your own life worse, he allows innocent chidren to get cancer he does nothing against terrorism he let millions die in the world wars.

These are gods and if they do exist why would you want to follow them, they are clearly horrible people
Original post by fapple
oh my goodness i can't believe how stupid the comments are on this site. i can't believe how retarded some people are. XD
dude, why would you go to non-muslims for advice about feeling the sweetness of faith again? obviously these uneducated chavs and low-lives are gonna try dissuade you from Islam. trust me, the best thing is to speak to a person of knowledge i.e. an imam. contrary to popular dumb**se belief, they're not gonna tell you to hate on gays and christians and will instead aim to address any doubts you have.

Retarded because they have a different view to you?

Pff you clearly haven't been on tsr if you're calling people on here uneducated. Have you seen how many people on here apply for Oxbridge?
Reply 11
Sometimes that happens, it's happened to me too but I'm very blessed to have met someone very well educated who has clarified some of my doubts.

But in general, if you're having doubts in my opinion I always think back to the fact that (ATLEAST TO ME) it is clear that a creator exists - even though people may disagree. This being must be all knowing since there looks as if there is intelligence in design and in terms of law. Therefore when looking at these doubts and issues, just because it seems irrational to me that a loving God would allow these things to happen that doesn't mean he doesn't exist. By nature I am limited in my rationality and intelligence, therefore how can I expect God's rationality to match with mine. If God exists then there is a possibility of a greater plan behind this and if so, we have drawn the short straw if children born with such horrific illnesses are guaranteed heaven when I am not.

I know and agree that some of these things are just sad but I try to humble myself because I know I am limited like all humans and maybe there's things I just wont understand. But what I find worse is that whether an innocent child dies or a murderer dies, from an atheistic point of view what happens after they die is irrelevant since there is no afterlife. So what is the point of being good, maybe it may help society for a mere few years but out of the 14 billion years of the universe's existence, technically your good actions are insignificant- unless God exists. It's sad to think at the end of the day, looking at the wider perspective what you do in life is irrelevant, your existence is a mere pixel in terms of the life of the universe.
Original post by Kyou
I hate to admit this, but I'd much rather get it out then keep it locked in.

Islam plays a daily role in my life. However, over the past few months I've been having more and more doubts as to if Islam is actually true. Now, I can't fathom Islam not being true and the religion I take pride in being false. However in the back of my mind, there always seems to be things which I simply just can't explain away. Things like babies being born with cancer, kind people I know being put in hell forever, etc.

I just don't know what to do or think anymore. The thoughts I have shake my very core. I've always thought I had unwavering faith in Allah, his might, his mercy.

What should I do? Should I go and talk to other muslims? What can I do to quell these doubts?

Keep questioning and keep looking for answers until you are comfortable with making a decision. You should talk to other Muslims and other non muslims. What are your thoughts on the Quran? Try reading it again and maybe take a more open minded approach.
Original post by uniguru101
Islam is a poisonous violent religion. Your mosques teach you about how gays should be killed. Leave the religion.

Please stop using the LGBT community to promote hate.

How on Earth is that going to stop OP's doubts?
Reply 16
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Retarded because they have a different view to you?

Pff you clearly haven't been on tsr if you're calling people on here uneducated. Have you seen how many people on here apply for Oxbridge?

ah yes, because oxbridge students have far superior brains in every way right?
anyway, i'm not calling everyone uneducated, just the LGBTQ soldiers coming here to insult something they barely know about
(edited 7 years ago)
It's good to be sceptical about your faith, you were given curiosity for a reason.

I'm not going to act like an expert in the region because I'm not a scholar ( or anywhere near :lol: )
But my girlfriend and I have had similar thoughts before.

What you have to do is think realistically as well though;
What do other religions say on the same matters? Do they provide answers?
The question of why does evil or suffering exist to those who are innocent, is a common question, amongst any Theist, not just Muslims.

My understanding again, is limited, but from what I've gathered:

1. Allah/God knows best and we physically cannot process all of his wisdom, only God fully knows his will.
(I understand this comes across as a very bs-y statement and I sound like a religious fanatic but it makes sense when you look into it deeper)
God created cause and effect, yin and yang. For every time we don't look after our health, sickness occurs.
(Again, I understand how this doesn't answer why babies suffer).

2. As Muslims/Theists the problem is we've become submerged and in love with the dunya (materialistic assets of this world).
Nothing in this world is permanent, no good will last on this earth, nor will any bad or pain.
If it helps how you feel, Innocent ones, who suffer for no reason, including babies, are those that are closest to God in Jannah (heaven).

3. Suffering can be a test for some people, truuuuuuuust me when I say I say I've had my faith challenged too.
The amount of crap we get because so psychos in the middle of the desert want to blow up everyone (including people within the faith)
The amount of times I've suffered or felt challenged for no reason, but I think I'm at a good place, I totally understand how everything happens for a reason and how it's built on my resilience.

4. Similarly, sometimes people suffer to test others, their patience, their charity, their faith, their good-heartedness.
(Jesus said something similar to this too)

I don't know how well I answered your questions, because these are really tough questions that really, no faith or science for that matter will give you a satisfying answer.
I would recommend going to your local imam providing he's someone you can trust and possesses strong knowledge and interpretation.

Again though, do not feel scared for having thoughts against a set of rules, they are there to be challenged!
Challenge them within the religion, but also outside too.
Knowledge is a huge part of Islam, and providing your friends are also proper adherents of Islam, they should support your any decision, not judge you.
Original post by fapple
ah yes, because oxbridge students have far superior brains in every way right?

You said "uneducated" chavs. You made no reference to intelligence outside academics. :smile:
Original post by constantine2016
Please stop using the LGBT community to promote hate.

so when many islamic countries opress gay people and in many circumstances gay people have been killed or harshly punished but no please think of the poor muslims

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending