The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 10LFC10
The highest I got was 687, lowest 620 (that was as an undergrad)

Really depends on where you apply tbh, next week I will be emailing everywhere for their cut offs this year. Some places you can work out roughly what you would need because of scoring system such as Leicester.

There's a few places that would take low and some high. Just apply to your strengths and there are places for each

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any cheeky recommendations for someone with ABC a levels, mediocre GCSE's and a 2:1 in tropical disease biology, with copious amounts of work experience :colondollar: (who is also divvy and unlucky to smash UKCAT out the water). Don't know whether to start considering GAMSAT unis
Original post by 10LFC10
I think a lot of the 5 year want BBB but you'd have to check that one out. I can't say otherwise I am afraid as my A levels are OK for most.

When I start looking properly next week I will bare you in mind though and if I see anything I'll let you know :smile:

I have gamsat on Saturday (third time sitting it lol) otherwise I'd look for you now

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so nice of you! I think I'm going to do Leicester, Glasgow, Southampton 5yr and Warwick 4 year as I seem ok for those. GAMSAT looks horrid however something thats easier to improve at than UKCAT,
best of luck with it!! i'm sure you'll do great.
Original post by eilidhchambe
Any cheeky recommendations for someone with ABC a levels, mediocre GCSE's and a 2:1 in tropical disease biology, with copious amounts of work experience :colondollar: (who is also divvy and unlucky to smash UKCAT out the water). Don't know whether to start considering GAMSAT unis

I'd definitely do the GAMSAT if I was you.. I never did well enough in UKCAT to get considered for interview (you need >700) but got a few interviews for GAMSAT unis.

Don't get me wrong, the GAMSAT is a massive pain in the arse but is very revisable at least more so than the UKCAT in my opinion!

All the best!
Original post by 10LFC10
I am also looking at Leicester and Glasgow, although I want to confirm with Glasgow what a level grades they want as they only state if it isn't a science degree. Unless you know otherwise?

Ukcat is all to do with practice! Just don't give up on it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did a science degree, but on their site it says you'd need AB in Bio and Chem A levels if you didn't, you're right though, they're not too clear on it. I'm almost certain that there are no A level requirements as long as you have the degree requirement. My boyfriend is a Glasgow medic and says there's lots of graduates there! I really like it. I think they're quite strong on UKCAT and don't put too much weighting on A levels as long as you have the other requirements.

You can take the UKCAT before GAMSAT registration closes and about 2 months before the actual exam. If you get 750+, you'll probably be okay applying to 4 year GEM courses that require UKCAT. Any lower and I would recommend doing the GAMSAT.

I ended up getting 670 on the UKCAT so I wrote it off for GEM and just focused on the GAMSAT. Got 65 which means 3 GEM interviews at SGUL, Notts and Swansea.

Also, with that academic background, you'd be hard pressed to reach the Leicester score cutoff unless you did unrealistically well on the UKCAT.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2845
What UKCAT have you been getting if you dont mind my asking?
what do you think is necessary for 5 year courses as a grad?

Like the OP said it depends on which unis you apply to. One of my friends got two offers this year for undergrad as a grad with a UKCAT ~640 whereas most grad courses will want 700+ so undergrad is definitely easier to get into in that respect. It just comes down to applying strategically so if you don't do well in your UKCAT then apply to unis that value work experience more like UEA or Keele. You could do the GAMSAT as a backup however it's notoriously hard and only a few unis use it so it's whether or not you even want to consider those unis. I personally didn't want to go to any of the GAMSAT unis except SGUL but I didn't see the point in doing GAMSAT and risking a choice on it seeing as I was working over summer so didn't have much time to revise and every choice counts when you've only got four. I think the key is to do your UKCAT and see what you get then research the unis and apply to the ones that play to your strengths. Good luck!
Original post by Nav43
Like the OP said it depends on which unis you apply to. One of my friends got two offers this year for undergrad as a grad with a UKCAT ~640 whereas most grad courses will want 700+ so undergrad is definitely easier to get into in that respect. It just comes down to applying strategically so if you don't do well in your UKCAT then apply to unis that value work experience more like UEA or Keele. You could do the GAMSAT as a backup however it's notoriously hard and only a few unis use it so it's whether or not you even want to consider those unis. I personally didn't want to go to any of the GAMSAT unis except SGUL but I didn't see the point in doing GAMSAT and risking a choice on it seeing as I was working over summer so didn't have much time to revise and every choice counts when you've only got four. I think the key is to do your UKCAT and see what you get then research the unis and apply to the ones that play to your strengths. Good luck!

Where did your friend get into with 640? big problemo is can't apply UEA due to a levels, and Keele due to A levels would have to do GAMSAT instead of UKCAT

Original post by Sapje321
You can take the UKCAT before GAMSAT registration closes and about 2 months before the actual exam. If you get 750+, you'll probably be okay applying to 4 year GEM courses that require UKCAT. Any lower and I would recommend doing the GAMSAT.

I ended up getting 670 on the UKCAT so I wrote it off for GEM and just focused on the GAMSAT. Got 65 which means 3 GEM interviews at SGUL, Notts and Swansea.

Also, with that academic background, you'd be hard pressed to reach the Leicester score cutoff unless you did unrealistically well on the UKCAT.

Potentially looking at a score of 39 which isn't very strong. I'm considering Notts actually. Do those all not look at A levels?
Where did your friend get into with 640? big problemo is can't apply UEA due to a levels, and Keele due to A levels would have to do GAMSAT instead of UKCAT

Potentially looking at a score of 39 which isn't very strong. I'm considering Notts actually. Do those all not look at A levels?

Yep, all three of those only consider that you have at least a 2.1 in any degree and then use GAMSAT scores to determine interviews. This year they were uncharacteristically low cutoffs too (56, 57 and 58). After that, offers are based on interview performance only, more or less.
Hey guys,

I am in my final year at uni doing biomedical science and I didn't manage to get any offers in the 2017 entry application cycle. I can't think of myself doing anything other than medicine. I am considering applying to be a recruitment consultant during my gap year to earn some money and help my family out while I apply for the 2018 entry. Is this a good idea? Does anybody know how the work is like and what the requirements are? What would you guys do differently if you were in my position?

Many thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tsar101
Hey guys,

I am in my final year at uni doing biomedical science and I didn't manage to get any offers in the 2017 entry application cycle. I can't think of myself doing anything other than medicine. I am considering applying to be a recruitment consultant during my gap year to earn some money and help my family out while I apply for the 2018 entry. Is this a good idea? Does anybody know how the work is like and what the requirements are? What would you guys do differently if you were in my position?

Many thanks in advance :smile:

Can you detail what it entails/can you not use your degree to work in a clinical setting/can you apply for HCA jobs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blofeldz
Just so you know you can't get a student loan for the 5 year medicine degree if you are a graduate. That is why it is too expensive for most people.

Hello,

Yes, I am very well aware of that :-).

Personally i think GAMSAT universities are your best choice, as long as you reach the cut off for intewrview - they tend to only look at your degree then
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
How are you going to afford the £36000?

No I've had rejections though but that's not really the same thing.

I have some saving and I have friends and family who will invest in me, and I will repay them as and when. They know how much this means to me.
Will manage one way or the other, work alongside study for the 1st few clinical years. I know this is difficult towards the end.

I just hope some miracle happens and I get a high UKCAT score so could apply to 4yr courses.

You waiting on any responses? Good luck :-)
Hello :smile:

I applied this year (in my final year of undergraduate degree, predicted 1st/high 2:1) to GEM at Warwick, Southanpton and Cambridge, and 5 year Cambridge. I got an interview at Cambridge but none of the others, partly because of my UKCAT score I think.

I will be applying again this October, hoping that having my degree may give me a better chance! I'll do UKCAT again and depending on the scores, maybe do GAMSAT.

I was wondering about Oxford though - I have heard that they give preference to/more people with a MSc or PhD get interviews and places. Does anyone know how true this is, or if there is any way we can find out the stats?

Thankyouu!! :smile:
Can I ask, did anyone here get any offer from medical school and did not have a 1st or upper second class degree?
I am currently overall on 64% but I am hoping to push my grades to a 1st this year.

Those of you who did get it without lower upper class etc, what do you think gave you the boost? Your GAMSAT results?
Also, do you think universities will look at the exact percentage of those whom got 1st and base their offers on that? For example someone may have a 1st with 71% and another student has 85%. Or don't you know that would matter that much?
Original post by Mr Optimist
Can I ask, did anyone here get any offer from medical school and did not have a 1st or upper second class degree?
I am currently overall on 64% but I am hoping to push my grades to a 1st this year.

Those of you who did get it without lower upper class etc, what do you think gave you the boost? Your GAMSAT results?
Also, do you think universities will look at the exact percentage of those whom got 1st and base their offers on that? For example someone may have a 1st with 71% and another student has 85%. Or don't you know that would matter that much?

As long as you get a 2.1 it won't make a huge difference for the gamsat uni's. GAMSAT will make up the majority of the decision to interview you as long as you make the minimum requirements and have respectable work experience

Hi! I applied this year with a 2.2, and a merit at masters. Worth noting that no medical school is taking people with just a 2.2 anymore, as far as I'm aware? Might be wrong....

For the gamsat universities, all you need to do is tick the academic box and the gamsat box, and then it doesn't really matter! I did get a high gamsat, but I would have still been invited to interview if it were lower, as long as I met the cut off.
Original post by puddleduck
Hi! I applied this year with a 2.2, and a merit at masters. Worth noting that no medical school is taking people with just a 2.2 anymore, as far as I'm aware? Might be wrong....

For the gamsat universities, all you need to do is tick the academic box and the gamsat box, and then it doesn't really matter! I did get a high gamsat, but I would have still been invited to interview if it were lower, as long as I met the cut off.

You have been given an offer?

I think Nottingham have stated they accept 2:2. However some universities ask for a minimum of a high 2:1.

Sadly I do not have good GCSE and A-levels thus this limits me to which unis I can apply to.

I am currently on a 64% average in my Mpharm masters degree, I am in my final year, fingers crossed I can boost myself to a first.
(edited 7 years ago)

Most GAMSAT unis if not all only send out interviews based on your GAMSAT cut off if you have a 2.1 in your degree. Nottingham accepted 2.2 but +5 the cut off score for those with a 2.2 degree. E.g. if the cut off is 60 for those with a 2.1, those with 2.2 are accepted for interview if they get 65. Exeter and Plymouth also send interview invites REGARDLESS of what you got in your degree (but these are 5 year degrees). (I remember you asking this very question previously.) If you are still unsure, I would seriously recommend that you check with the admissions offices and the relevant websites as it would put your doubts to rest.

By the time you get to the interview, the MMI (to remove any bias) is used to pick you solely based on your interview performance. Nothing else. The interviewers know nothing other than your name.

From the universities I spoke to, the GAMSAT score actually only becomes relevant again, if you are a borderline candidate. E.g. if the lowest interview score for the remaining spot on the course is 60, and if three people all got 60s in their MMI scores, admissions would refer back to the GAMSAT scores of these 3 candidates and pick them accordingly - however from the admissions officers I spoke to, they said that this was exceedingly rare. It ultimately means if you have a super high GAMSAT score (I worked hard thinking it would benefit me and got 82), it's practically irrelevant after you meet the cut off.:angry:

Last but not least, work experience is crucial for some of the universities e.g. Notts and St Georges....
(edited 7 years ago)
You have been given an offer?

I think Nottingham have stated they accept 2:2. However some universities ask for a minimum of a high 2:1.

Sadly I do not have good GCSE and A-levels thus this limits me to which unis I can apply to.

I am currently on a 64% average in my Mpharm masters degree, I am in my final year, fingers crossed I can boost myself to a first.

I've been waitlisted for St George's, and only interview score is relevant to get an offer at Swansea. As far as I know, gem doesn't looks at your GCSE or A level scores?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending