The Student Room Group

EU national but not been in the EU since 6 years. (Help)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by pisyco
I got an offer but they decided to take me as an international student what a decision !

Yeah all 4 I've heard back from are considering me as an international student.. I don't really think we have a chance. Let me know about any updates.
Reply 21
Original post by S4G4R
Yeah all 4 I've heard back from are considering me as an international student.. I don't really think we have a chance. Let me know about any updates.

have you heard about CAS ? i think it is for non-eu students for completing the visa processes but we do not need a visa.I am really confused.They asked me to pay deposit for CAS.
Reply 22
Original post by pisyco
have you heard about CAS ? i think it is for non-eu students for completing the visa processes but we do not need a visa.I am really confused.They asked me to pay deposit for CAS.

Who's asked you to pay a deposit for CAS? Just tell them you're an EU national and you don't need a visa. Don't pay anything, I don't think a CAS is even required in our case. It stands for Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies and it is indeed for non-EU students. So we're sort of a special case. How have you received this and I haven't? Have you accepted any offer? I'm still waiting on my last offer.
Reply 23
I have accepted the offer of The University Of Manchester Software Engineering MSC and after 2-3 days later they wanted from me 1000 pounds deposit . I have no idea what they are trying to do we do not need visa you know.Once you accept an offer ı think you will receive as same as mine.
Reply 24
Original post by pisyco
I got an offer but they decided to take me as an international student what a decision !

Same here. Are you applying for scholarships? Or what are you planning to do for the finance?
Reply 25
Heya,

Luckily i came across this, I'm an expert in this area and i have been looking into this for many years. I also managed to live in Sri Lanka all my life and still claim home fees with a British passport.

Basically the test for what fees you should get is based on residency rather than citizenship. You made a massive mistake by saying your permanent residency is India. There is no legal definition for permanent residency that strictly applies to UCAS and they don't define it properly themselves. So you could just assume it to mean the country you consider your home and put your grandparents address because you can argue you don't think India is your permanent home. Then it is up to them to look into it and challenge it. By putting India you have made them initially assume that you aren't a resident and it's up to you to challenge it.

It's up to the universities to decide on your case. Honestly speaking you have very little chance with good universities. However maybe reapply next year starting Portugal as your permanent residency. I know Manchester and Cardiff are quite lenient.
Reply 26
Also stay way from London universities such as LSE KCL and QMUL, they are quite strict. Put an address in Portugal, say your permanent residency is there and hope for the best. 3 out of 5 of my unis gave me home fees. It's quite a grey area
Reply 27
Original post by Hi1997
Also stay way from London universities such as LSE KCL and QMUL, they are quite strict. Put an address in Portugal, say your permanent residency is there and hope for the best. 3 out of 5 of my unis gave me home fees. It's quite a grey area

Is that allowed? They ask you to complete the fees assessment thing no? My choice of unis asked me to complete so they could asses.
Reply 28
Original post by Byun.B
Is that allowed? They ask you to complete the fees assessment thing no? My choice of unis asked me to complete so they could asses.

They only send a fee questionnaire if they are confused about your status and that also only depends on how deep the admissions at each university looks at it. QMUL and other London universities look quite deep. QMUL saw that I have a British passport, British address and declared Britain as my residency but my reference was from a Sri Lankan school so they sent me a form, which i didn't bother filling because I knew i had no case. Manchester on the other hand only looked at my citizenship and what country i declared my residency and didn't look at my school. So basically just try and make out as much as possible you lived in Portugal and hope for the best.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Hi1997
Heya,

Luckily i came across this, I'm an expert in this area and i have been looking into this for many years. I also managed to live in Sri Lanka all my life and still claim home fees with a British passport.

Basically the test for what fees you should get is based on residency rather than citizenship. You made a massive mistake by saying your permanent residency is India. There is no legal definition for permanent residency that strictly applies to UCAS and they don't define it properly themselves. So you could just assume it to mean the country you consider your home and put your grandparents address because you can argue you don't think India is your permanent home. Then it is up to them to look into it and challenge it. By putting India you have made them initially assume that you aren't a resident and it's up to you to challenge it.

It's up to the universities to decide on your case. Honestly speaking you have very little chance with good universities. However maybe reapply next year starting Portugal as your permanent residency. I know Manchester and Cardiff are quite lenient.

I couldn't lie like that.. As they ask for all sorts of proof. Where you go to school, utility bills etc. I couldn't lie about my schooling could I?
Reply 30
Original post by Byun.B
Same here. Are you applying for scholarships? Or what are you planning to do for the finance?

I'll probably get a loan from India. Apply to whatever scholarships I can.
Reply 31
Original post by S4G4R
I couldn't lie like that.. As they ask for all sorts of proof. Where you go to school, utility bills etc. I couldn't lie about my schooling could I?

That's what I was thinking. It's too risky!
Original post by Hi1997
Heya,

So basically you are telling the OP to lie and commit fraud?

You are claiming student finance when you arent entitled?
As a British parent whose British kids have attended British schools outside of the EU for many years, and having known the kids of many fellow Brits who have gone through the process of applying to UK Unis - it does tend to vary from Uni to Uni ( with London Unis tending to be more strict as Hi1997 said above) but it's always worth appealing. Things which have helped families I know get HOME status for their kids are:

Proving that the family have lived abroad temporarily by showing that the working parent's contract is a fixed term contract (e.g a 2 year contract - even if it renews every 2 years)
Proving that you are a temporary resident of the country you live in (does your India residency card have an expiration?)
Proving that you and your parents have ties to the UK (evidence of plane tickets travelling to and from the UK regularly - yearly seems to be enough)

The above evidence won't guarantee HOME status but it's worth appealing and sending copies of the above documents as evidence

Hope that helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by mathsinsider
As a British parent whose British kids have attended British schools outside of the EU for many years, and having known the kids of many fellow Brits who have gone through the process of applying to UK Unis - it does tend to vary from Uni to Uni ( with London Unis tending to be more strict as Hi1997 said above) but it's always worth appealing. Things which have helped families I know get HOME status for their kids are:

Proving that the family have lived abroad temporarily by showing that the working parent's contract is a fixed term contract (e.g a 2 year contract - even if it renews every 2 years)
Proving that you are a temporary resident of the country you live in (does your India residency card have an expiration?)
Proving that you and your parents have ties to the UK (evidence of plane tickets travelling to and from the UK regularly - yearly seems to be enough)

The above won't evidence won't guarantee HOME status but it's worth appealing and sending copies of the above documents as evidence

Hope that helps!

I have relatives frequently flying from the UK to India, but not parents.
I don't even have an Indian residency card, I've been struggling all these 6 years to maintain my Portuguese passport and citizenship card. They were both renewed recently, as a matter of fact I went to pickup my passport today. It's so expensive! I can't believe that keeping my citizenship for so long was of no use.
I've applied to Sheffield, Kent, Aston, Salford and Swansea. I've got 4 offers, still waiting for Aston. All 4 of them considered me as overseas for fee status.
What was the use in keeping my Portuguese citizenship for 6 YEARS, care to tell me? *sigh*
Reply 35
Okay be honest and pay 16k lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending