The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geog Unit 4 6GE04 01 - 9th June 2017 - Tectonic Hazards [Exam Discussion]

I have set up this thread for any revision material to be posted for the 2017 Unit 4 exam on tectonics.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joshy4922
I have set up this thread for any revision material to be posted for the 2017 Unit 4 exam on tectonics.

The year was 2014 that a similar pre-release came out, google edexcel a level geography 2014 and you'll get the mark scheme and examiners report. I'm using this to formulate a perfect response to a question on management as there's no curveballs you can throw😂It's a relatively simple area with many case studies so I'm thinking high grade boundaries
Reply 2
What case studies are people using. My initial case studies were:
The Boxing Day Tsunami and 2011 Tohoku Tsunami for Development
Montserrat and Mauna Loa, Hawaii for capacity to cope
2011 Haiti and 2007 Folkestone Earthquakes for Magnitude (Im from Folkestone so that's why Im writing about that one)
Original post by Ryan CS
What case studies are people using. My initial case studies were:
The Boxing Day Tsunami and 2011 Tohoku Tsunami for Development
Montserrat and Mauna Loa, Hawaii for capacity to cope
2011 Haiti and 2007 Folkestone Earthquakes for Magnitude (Im from Folkestone so that's why Im writing about that one)

(Haiti was 2010) And to add on Eyjafjallaokul 2010, Chile 2010/2015(despite being an LEDC effectively managed 2015 earthquake), New Zealand 2010/11 and Mount Ontake 2011 from the top of my head ... are those the only factors you're addressing? I'm writing up an example soon but I'll post a plan later :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Theawesomejem
(Haiti was 2010) And to add on Eyjafjallaokul 2010, Chile 2010/2015(despite being an LEDC effectively managed 2015 earthquake), New Zealand 2010/11 and Mount Ontake 2011 from the top of my head ... are those the only factors you're addressing? I'm writing up an example soon but I'll post a plan later :smile:

I was told that its best to focus on just 3 factors in detail but theyre not the ones Im definitely going to do in the exam. I might look into the other ones to see what I could write about them.
Original post by Ryan CS
I was told that its best to focus on just 3 factors in detail but theyre not the ones Im definitely going to do in the exam. I might look into the other ones to see what I could write about them.

Oh really? My geography teacher is a senior examiner and he said at least 3 human factors and 3 physical factors to show depth of understanding and complexity. So physical -magnitude, depth of focus and type of hazard, human-preparation, governance and level of development(off the top of my head I might switch to other factors) He also said that you need to be able to show anomalies in trends :smile: your analysis should be a mix of physical and human with subconclusions
CAN ANYONE GIVE AN INDEPTH STRUCTURE TO HOW THEY ARE GOING TO DO THEIR REPORT!? Our teacher is awful and has no clue and I need an A! HELPP
Original post by alicetemp
CAN ANYONE GIVE AN INDEPTH STRUCTURE TO HOW THEY ARE GOING TO DO THEIR REPORT!? Our teacher is awful and has no clue and I need an A! HELPP

Hiya, I'm in the same situation... I found this online and think it might be useful? What does everyone think? Willing to share ideas about this whole paper, I want to be as confident as I can be when I walk in there.

thanks, Jack :smile:
HI for the parks curve could you combine two examples for instance the Italy 2016 and then the Italy 2017 earthquake showed Italy had not fully recovered
Does anyone have an case studies they wouldn't mind sharing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Theawesomejem

Be careful using Chile, as it is an OECD country so I would class it as a MEDC
Original post by NickLycz

You can still argue it isn't as developed as the USA and Japan in terms of development, therefore doesn't have the same resources available
Original post by JMEisjames
You can still argue it isn't as developed as the USA and Japan in terms of development, therefore doesn't have the same resources available

Yes true, I can't think of a less developed country that has had a good response
Original post by NickLycz

True but the OECD is not the only method used to classify countries for level of development. For example the IMF define chile as "developing" so I would personally differentiate between developed and developing countries then nics, which may be easier than LEDC V MEDC. However,the CIA fact book (where I get all my definitions as it's really reliable) class Chile as an LDC/developing country? So I don't think you can jump to calling it an developed country
Here's the link
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/appendix/appendix-b.html
It doesn't really matter which category you put Chile in. The examiner will see plenty of scripts with Chile in both developed and developing, there isn't really a "right" answer as this is somewhat subjective (as we can see from this thread).
(edited 7 years ago)
This is what ive done so far on tectonics pre release
Original post by m_wharrier
This is what ive done so far on tectonics pre release

are you going to stucture your report based on hazard type or factor affecting management
does anyone have any A* model answers for management questions because my school hasn't really provided any
I have absolutely no clue how I will plan this, my school is awful and haven't given us any clear guidelines, HELP!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending