The Student Room Group

Caught with weed

So I live in halls and the other day my Residential Assisstants (RA) reported us for smoking weed and noise making. However, there isn't any evidence other than my RAA word against ours. I've already hidden my stash and all my smoking stuff.

My accomodation manager sent me a letter explaining my situation and that it will only go further, report it to uni, my guarantor and the police if they gather more evidence, which is impossible at this point.

I'm just getting paranoid that they might do a drug test and my results might get me in trouble because I'm an international student and on a student visa. Has anyone ever been in my situation before and how did the process go? Any tips?
Original post by Amantinho
So I live in halls and the other day my Residential Assisstants (RA) reported us for smoking weed and noise making. However, there isn't any evidence other than my RAA word against ours. I've already hidden my stash and all my smoking stuff.

My accomodation manager sent me a letter explaining my situation and that it will only go further, report it to uni, my guarantor and the police if they gather more evidence, which is impossible at this point.

I'm just getting paranoid that they might do a drug test and my results might get me in trouble because I'm an international student and on a student visa. Has anyone ever been in my situation before and how did the process go? Any tips?

Consider it a warning - if you're on a Tier 4 visa, you could quite easily find yourself packing your bags and returning to your country of origin because it's been revoked if you are convicted of a criminal offence in this country or receive certain cautions.
At my uni, you just have a meeting with the Residents officer and they ask you about what went on that night and that's it. You also get a fine, but I'm not sure if it's the same where you are.
I have been in this situation at school.
I have a large group of friends and someone asked me for weed. Somehow someone found out and the teachers found out too that a little child wanted to buy weed off me. Even when I don't even smoke weed or do that ****. I don't even hangout with those type of people.

So yeah the girl was like "set me some weed pleaseeee ". I was like go to that boy over there. And out of no where I was in trouble and I was accused of smoking. I was sniffed and I had to be expelled for 2 days and they rang home which I thought was pathetic. My parents didn't really care as they trust me enough and know I don't smoke weed. But I won't ever forget that moment and how **** I felt.

But I've been a noticed kid by the teachers like I've had a lot of family problems and everything and the teachers know the reason. They just ask me every morning and call me besides them and they just ask questions about my personal home life.
It's because one day in PE I was wearing a short sleeved shirt in year 8 and the my arm had serious slits and scars and I was taken out. Since that day I've always been asked 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moment of truth
At my uni, you just have a meeting with the Residents officer and they ask you about what went on that night and that's it. You also get a fine, but I'm not sure if it's the same where you are.

Are you based in Scotland, England or Wales?
Original post by Reality Check
Consider it a warning - if you're on a Tier 4 visa, you could quite easily find yourself packing your bags and returning to your country of origin because it's been revoked if you are convicted of a criminal offence in this country or receive certain cautions.

I've done a bit of research and according to my uni, it isn't labeled a criminal offence.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I've done a bit of research and according to my uni, it isn't labeled a criminal offence.

The law is not dictated by your uni.

It is a criminal offence as it is Schedule 1 and Class B drug.
Original post by moment of truth

Well that's annoying. Was looking forward to that.
Are you based in Scotland, England or Wales?

England.

Original post by Cherub012
Well that's annoying. Was looking forward to that.

That shouldn't stop you from smoking in your room if you really want to :lol:
Original post by Zwartble
The law is not dictated by your uni.

It is a criminal offence as it is Schedule 1 and Class B drug.

True but no evidence other than word of mouth so I'm going to deny it.

Your uni is wrong then.
Your uni is wrong then.

I agree with you but I wasn't actually caught with it
Your uni is wrong then.

There is evidence other than word of my RAA.
Reply 13
They probably won't drug test you, you have to agree to drug tests prior to them taking it. They can't force you to take a test, unless you've signed a document/ contract that says you will oblige to any drug test at any time.

My work contract says they have to give me prior notice before doing a test, if they sprung it on me that wouldn't be allowed.

Have a read through of all your uni paper work, read the small print

If it's small, the police more than likely won't care. But if your uni find it they may take a different approach. Possession is illegal at the end of the day in the UK and your uni knows this
Original post by Erik28
They probably won't drug test you, you have to agree to drug tests prior to them taking it. They can't force you to take a test, unless you've signed a document/ contract that says you will oblige to any drug test at any time.

My work contract says they have to give me prior notice before doing a test, if they sprung it on me that wouldn't be allowed.

Have a read through of all your uni paper work, read the small print

If it's small, the police more than likely won't care. But if your uni find it they may take a different approach. Possession is illegal at the end of the day in the UK and your uni knows this

Cheers bud. I honestly think I'm being paranoid. My RA just reported it smelt like weed but she didn't confiscate the joint or the weed; which was probably her biggest mistake.

I'm going to stick to my tobacco story, I just wasn't sure because I thought I might be forced to do a drug test.
They can't force you to take a drugs test but for gods sake stop smoking weed/making lots of noise in your flat or you could find yourself in serious trouble. It's unlikely to go further this time as they have evidence but they will take it further if they get more complaints about you. And seriously - it's just not a nice thing to do to fill the flat with weed so all your flatmates/surrounding flats have to breathe it in.
No one will care if you're smoking weed as long as you don't have enough that it looks like your selling it. It'll just be "don't do that again" and they'll confiscate what they find

It wasnt very good research.
Original post by Amantinho

The thing with weed is that unless you are selling it then the police generally wont be bothered. I wouldnt be worried about them.

Uni accommodation breaches will be covered in your tenancy. they will probably investigate and if they fine you in breach, then will fine you, increase the fine or evict you as a last resort.

Depending how the rules work then you could also fall under general uni disciplinary rules, where the uni gets involved as well. The rules will be on the website.

I expect you will be ok and a fine at most. If you repeat though the fines and sanctions will get more severe. In my experience the trouble wth weed is that it smells and permeates the walls. Its hard to get rid of or disguise, so of you have been smoking then the whole block is likely to know, so even if you have hidden your stash the smell will be almost impossible to disguise. People know what it smells like, so it isnt dependent on locating your stash.

If the smell is severe then you are more likely to get people reporting you. If you start denying when its obvious you have been that sets you up for more severe sanctions eventually. Up to you whether you smoke or not, but you just have to be ok with the risks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending