The Student Room Group

References for PhD

Hi everyone :smile:
Quite recently I found a topic (+supervisor) I would really like to do research in. I have a Bachelor's from uni A, now on an MSc at uni B.
Also, without being too specific, I have an upcoming publication with a certain journal soon, having presented in at a conference a couple of months ago.
So, I have a degree from A, did an undergrad project there and my supervisor was one of my references for uni B.
Now at uni B I have my summer project (topic conveniently relates to the above) only coming up, so realistically right now I can only manage maybe one reference from uni B - module lecturer where I had a big project over the autumn term, which was marked on a level similar to the final dissertation. Then there's my personal tutor, who will hopefully be my summer supervisor, but I haven't exactly worked with him yet.
I know for the PhD you need 2 referees... the deadlines are very soon for Sept entry, but I don't mind January entry. Asking my undergrad supervisor for an almost identical reference seems a bit... uh, I'm worried it will come across like I haven't progressed. Can I ask a reference from the journal...? I took part in a competition and was selected as top 3, so they must have something nice to say :P on the other hand, the mere fact of publication and giving a talk shows some kind of merit..? or shall I just wait to get into my summer project and delay the above process for a few months?
Sorry if this is a bit of a silly question

edit: I understand lots of PhD deadlines have either already gone or are very soon closing, yet I haven't taken a casual approach to this. I was supposed to move abroad, but plans change.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ananas222

No harm in asking your undergrad Supervisor, and tell them the additional info about publication and conferences. If they are willing, they will tweak their reference to make it more PhD focussed. You aren't in a unique situation, and everyone will understand the options you have for Referees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending