The Student Room Group

Any mature students on here who have gone back to study A-levels??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Philip-flop
I have a feeling that AQA might be the preferred exam board for Biology too since many tutors and schools have made that switch! :frown:

I find that with Edexcel past papers there is more data analysis questions and questions that test your improvisation as a Biologist than the AQA past papers that I've quickly skimmed through! Although I've only looked at 2 papers from that exam board :tongue:

What other subjects are you studying btw?

That's rather interesting.

Maths (Edexcel) and Psychology (AQA).
Original post by tripplea
That's rather interesting.

Maths (Edexcel) and Psychology (AQA).

Oh yeah I remember now, you're doing AS at the moment at college, right?
Another day of hard work for us mature students! :h:
Reply 343
I don't understand why they don't just have one exam board. I'm having decision paralysis here! Right now I'm leaning toward AQA and Edexcel purely because they both have a decent website and resources. There's also Cambridge International but I'm not sure if they are open to private candidates? :eek3:

Edit: Yep, CIE does accept private candidates, provided you can find a local centre to accept you. I see that my local (Hills Road) does accept it. But the question is, does it confer any advantage?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mvictor
I don't understand why they don't just have one exam board. I'm having decision paralysis here! Right now I'm leaning toward AQA and Edexcel purely because they both have a decent website and resources. There's also Cambridge International but I'm not sure if they are open to private candidates? :eek3:

Edit: Yep, CIE does accept private candidates, provided you can find a local centre to accept you. I see that my local (Hills Road) does accept it. But the question is, does it confer any advantage?

Unfortunately I know very little about the Cambridge International qualifications :frown:

Just go with your gut instinct and try to stick it out to the end :smile:
Oh yeah I remember now, you're doing AS at the moment at college, right?

Yes I am and I have mocks next week :frown:
Yes I am and I have mocks next week :frown:

Don't panic, just do what you can! I'm sure you'll be ok if you do some revision this weekend 😊
Don't panic, just do what you can! I'm sure you'll be ok if you do some revision this weekend 😊

Thanks. I've dedicated the whole weekend to revising so fingers crossed.
Thanks. I've dedicated the whole weekend to revising so fingers crossed.

How's the studying/revision going so far? :smile:
So today the anxiety is kicking in again and I'm randomly having periods of self-doubt on whether I can achieve decent grades when I sit my A-level exams in the summer. :frown: Anyone have any success stories of studying as a mature student/private candidate?
How are the A levels or Access courses going everyone?
I'm nearly classed as a mature student :smile: Im 20, currently doing A level Biology in one year then going on to study Wildlife Conservation
Original post by Sarah.Hunter96
I'm nearly classed as a mature student :smile: Im 20, currently doing A level Biology in one year then going on to study Wildlife Conservation

Oh wow. You wouldn't happen to be doing the new Edexcel Biology (Salters Nuffield) A level would you???

Are you studying at a college?
Oh wow. You wouldn't happen to be doing the new Edexcel Biology (Salters Nuffield) A level would you???

Are you studying at a college?

No I'm doing OCR biology, and yes I've gone to a local college to do the course :smile:
No I'm doing OCR biology, and yes I've gone to a local college to do the course :smile:

Amazing! Have you covered all the content yet? How are you finding it?

Also does OCR provide you with a pre-released article to be used in conjunction with one of your papers like the Edexcel board does?
Amazing! Have you covered all the content yet? How are you finding it?

Also does OCR provide you with a pre-released article to be used in conjunction with one of your papers like the Edexcel board does?

Not yet but we're nearing the end of it :smile: It's pretty tough going in regards to the sheer amount you have to cover. As for the pre released article I'm not sure about that. I wasn't even aware that was thing XD
Not yet but we're nearing the end of it :smile: It's pretty tough going in regards to the sheer amount you have to cover. As for the pre released article I'm not sure about that. I wasn't even aware that was thing XD

Yeah Biology is a very intensive course which requires you to be able to recall almost anything! As long as you have been keeping up with the work and making notes as you've been going along you'll be fine!

Oh I see, perhaps the layout of the OCR exam board is different from Edexcel so you probably don't get given such a thing! So please don't panic, I'm sure your teacher/s would have told you by now if you need it for the exams anyway.
Yeah Biology is a very intensive course which requires you to be able to recall almost anything! As long as you have been keeping up with the work and making notes as you've been going along you'll be fine!

Oh I see, perhaps the layout of the OCR exam board is different from Edexcel so you probably don't get given such a thing! So please don't panic, I'm sure your teacher/s would have told you by now if you need it for the exams anyway.

Yeah you definitely need a good memory :smile: Hopefully I'll be ok, we've been doing practice test all throughout the year for revision. Also, you'd think they would've told us but my college isn't best known for being organised so you never know XD
Yeah you definitely need a good memory :smile: Hopefully I'll be ok, we've been doing practice test all throughout the year for revision. Also, you'd think they would've told us but my college isn't best known for being organised so you never know XD

So is it just A-level Biology you're studying then? What made you decide to study?
Hey everyone.

I'm 25, currently considering taking up AS Biology, Chemistry and Physics next year.
I already have three A-Levels from 2010 (Business (A), French (A) and Politics (C)), and a degree from 2014 in BA French (2:1), but have now decided to take my life on a different trajectory after a bit of life experience.

It's surprising and reassuring to see so many other people taking A-Levels later in life.
For all those of you studying Sciences, are any of you entirely self-teaching? I've considered this option but I don't quite understand how it would work with the practical elements you need to get signed off.

If possible I'd prefer to self-teach so that I can work part-time at the same time (to pay rent), but if this isn't an option I will begrudgingly go back to college full-time.

Also, I thought the option of doing both AS & A2 in the same year was no longer possible due to the elimination of the January exam sitting, is this not the case?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending