The Student Room Group

Which Medical School do I choose?!

I have been blessed. Receiving 3 medicine offers so far, and it is something I wasn't expecting at all.
So I am writing asking for advice/opinions on which Medical School I should choose?

Manchester, Birmingham, or Cardiff. (Also waiting to hear back from Liverpool)

Any advice or opinion would be much appreciated!!
Thanks
Original post by Twm2
I have been blessed. Receiving 3 medicine offers so far, and it is something I wasn't expecting at all.
So I am writing asking for advice/opinions on which Medical School I should choose?

Thanks

Birmingham has a very nice medical school, the campus is gorgeous (Edgbaston for med) and Birmingham has a lot that you can do compared to most cities where it's mostly clubbing >imo<
Original post by Twm2

Thanks

Congratulations!

Manchester is pure pbl whereas bham is more lecture-based and Cardiff has its own course called case-based learning. I think looking into these will help you refine your choices

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I would go with whatever course you find would be best for you. Some people learn better through sitting in lectures whilst others learn better through more independent courses etc., so really it all comes down to what suits you.

I'm in Cardiff now and it's case-based learning so whilst we still have the self-directed, independent learning part of the course we still get a lot of guidance through lectures, practicals and so on.

I am really enjoying my time in Cardiff. It's a great medical school and the course is really interesting so I would definitely recommend it, but go with the medical school you think would most suit you :smile:

Good luck and congratulations on the offers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Twm2

Thanks

Hi there!

Congratulations on receiving those offers!

You might find it useful to look at our pages and case studies for Cardiff and Birmingham, where a student at each school discusses their experiences:

- Case Study: Cardiff
- Case Study: Birmingham

It's also important to consider:
- Is the idea of Case-Based Learning (CBL) at Cardiff appealing to you?
- Which course do you prefer the sound of?
- Which city do you prefer?
- Do you want to be close to home?
- Does the school have a good student union and extra-curriculars?

Before making your decisions, it might help to visit any offer holder days that each school has so you can revisit them and make your decision from there - this will give you chance to speak to current students there too.

You might also be interested in a blog we published yesterday, Got An Offer? 5 Things To Do Next.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending