The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steliata
Tbh I'm just really bored of A levels... We're finishing up most of the content now so from now on its just revision. I hate not learning new things, although I'm very very glad there's no more content than atm to revise lol. It's just annoying that I don't have time or the opportunity to study Japanese until I get to uni in the autumn, which is what I really want to be doing 😭

Also have that same niggling doubt that I'm not doing enough revision, but it's early days yet and I'm fairly confident that consistently going over it all will mean it's cemented in my mind come exams. Have faith in yourselves guys 😊

In the end I visited Sheffield on Wednesday and it was amazing and the degree sounds fab, so if I don't meet the Cambridge offer it's not the end of the world (Sheffield is ABB... stuff would have to go seriously wrong for me to miss that)

Same, I'm so over a levels, I keep looking at the course content for the natsci modules I want to do and they all look so interesting! I want to get to it asap! Something to look forward to while exams loom over our heads I suppose haha
Reply 1801
Original post by JackedMath4
is there a way to do a math ba degree from oxbridge in two years? since part 1 & 2 are the materials that everybody do , while year 3 is more elective. have you seen people graduate after finishing just year 1 &2 , or taking the electives required to graduate in year 2 and finishing it in two years?

Only as an Associate Student doing a second degree. And you would do years 2 & 3.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/why-cambridge/support/mature-students/second-undergraduate-degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liziepie
Same, I'm so over a levels, I keep looking at the course content for the natsci modules I want to do and they all look so interesting! I want to get to it asap! Something to look forward to while exams loom over our heads I suppose haha

Me with History :'( I feel like I am wasting time there's so much History to know and I want to learn it all and going over old stuff for months feels like a waste of time but I need to do it so I can go to a good Uni and learn even more History :')
Original post by Doonesbury

Plus there'd be precious little funding as an affiliated student doing a second undergraduate degree - also need to find the college fee as well as the university tuition fee!
Original post by Reality Check
Plus there'd be precious little funding as an affiliated student doing a second undergraduate degree - also need to find the college fee as well as the university tuition fee!

Just make the Mexicans pay for it :wink:
Reply 1805
Original post by Reality Check

Yup!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick question: why is it that publicly funded undergrads don't have to pay a college fee?
Original post by liziepie

Me too!! What college is your offer from and what modules are you interested in?? I might see you in the autumn!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quick question: why is it that publicly funded undergrads don't have to pay a college fee?

Presumably something to do with the cap on fees that the government imposes but I'm not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is paid as part of the overall student support package for students studying a first undergraduate degree.
Original post by JackedMath4
is there a way to do a math ba degree from oxbridge in two years? since part 1 & 2 are the materials that everybody do , while year 3 is more elective. have you seen people graduate after finishing just year 1 &2 , or taking the electives required to graduate in year 2 and finishing it in two years?

No, it's a graduation requirement that you be at Cambridge for three years in order to be eligible to graduate. In some cases, people skip first year and do part IB, II and III. But it still has to be three years.

What you're suggesting, in terms of 'electives' or what not, doesn't really make sense. You could reasonably construe every course in IB as an 'elective' as well. Basically, 'elective' isn't a suitable word for the Cambridge course.
(edited 7 years ago)
I just did a History essay in like 20 minutes? I wrote up a detailed plan using my notes this morning, went out, came back and I timed myself for 45 minutes using only my plan and when I finished it's only been 20 minutes and usually I struggle for time? Something doesn't feel right... :P
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I just did a History essay in like 20 minutes? I wrote up a detailed plan using my notes this morning, went out, came back and I timed myself for 45 minutes using only my plan and when I finished it's only been 20 minutes and usually I struggle for time? Something doesn't feel right... :P

Ask your teacher to have a look, maybe something just really worked on that essay and you did it quicker. Is it a similar length to others you've done??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has everyone else here actually firmed Cambridge yet or is there anyone else who hasn't firmed and isn't 100% sure they are going to? I mean, I've wanted to come to Cambridge for years but I've now lost all confidence since I've had an offer. I'm just trying to work out whether I might feel less conflicted once I've firmed and insured on UCAS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SteamboatMickey

Did you change all your clocks? 🤔
Reply 1815
Original post by Magnificat7

You win British Summer Time with that reply :smile:
Original post by Magnificat7

Indeed :lol:

Original post by rayofsunshine98
Ask your teacher to have a look, maybe something just really worked on that essay and you did it quicker. Is it a similar length to others you've done??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps! I'm printing it off and my teacher is gonna mark it, after she marks everyone's coursework, so I probably won't get it back until like after Easter. :tongue:
Has everyone else here actually firmed Cambridge yet or is there anyone else who hasn't firmed and isn't 100% sure they are going to? I mean, I've wanted to come to Cambridge for years but I've now lost all confidence since I've had an offer. I'm just trying to work out whether I might feel less conflicted once I've firmed and insured on UCAS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know I am firming it, even though I haven't the confidence that I'll get the grades, but I haven't been able to decide an insurance so I haven't done much yet. Think I am definitely insuring Durham though so I'm gonna do it soon!
Reply 1818
I'm definitely firming Cambridge.
Even though I'll have to wait until 2018. Wish there was a way to be accepted from this year... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I firmed it ASAP because I knew as time went on I'd come to doubt myself. If you want to go there, firm it, and stop worrying about whether you'll get in. If they gave you an offer they believe in you, so you should definitely believe in yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending