The Student Room Group

Parents send children to school with cold Macdonalds Happy Meal for lunch

Full story here via Huffington Post

Yikes, a cold maccies for lunch.... gross right?

Worse still the Happy Meal was purchased the night before.....

This story comes from a primary school in Kent, the headteacher is unhappy about the number of unbalanced packed lunches being given to kids by their parents.

What did you you get given for your packed lunch? :cookie:

Scroll to see replies

That's gross.

We almost always got sandwiches or a roll or similar. Never got anything like a cold McDonalds, which is just wrong.
If it happened just once, I don't see the need to clutch pearls over it. I remember taking 2 slices of cold takeaway pizza once, because we had it left over from the evening before. (Cold takeaway pizza > reheated takeaway pizza).

Of course it's pretty bad if they're getting **** food everyday however, headmaster's advice sounds pretty good.
Meh, ive eaten worse from the school canteen.
Original post by She-Ra
Full story here via Huffington Post

Yikes, a cold maccies for lunch.... gross right?

Worse still the Happy Meal was purchased the night before.....

This story comes from a primary school in Kent, the headteacher is unhappy about the number of unbalanced packed lunches being given to kids by their parents.

Nothing coz I've got a half-day
Original post by Zargabaath
If it happened just once, I don't see the need to clutch pearls over it. I remember taking 2 slices of cold takeaway pizza once, because we had it left over from the evening before. (Cold takeaway pizza > reheated takeaway pizza).

Of course it's pretty bad if they're getting **** food everyday however, headmaster's advice sounds pretty good.

Cold pizza tastes good.....

But cold chips and chewy burger? :eek4::eek4::eek4:

Yeh I think the headmaster's advice is good and ultimately, the cost of school dinners there is cheaper than a Happy Meal....
Original post by She-Ra
Cold pizza tastes good.....

But cold chips and chewy burger? :eek4::eek4::eek4:

I think the fact they're eating McDonald's is more to worry over then the fact it's cold :afraid:

Original post by She-Ra
Yeh I think the headmaster's advice is good and ultimately, the cost of school dinners there is cheaper than a Happy Meal....

I'm unsure on the price of school dinners, but I think McDonald's is too cheap actually, it has a lot of calories for a low price, so people get it more often because it's cheap and fills them up more. :holmes:
When my sons were at school these things happened more as a protest than a regular meal. Most parents are well aware of how to provide a healthy lunch and, more importantly, that their children will eat
School meals are provided to under 8s.
My nieces junior school has strict rules on what can be included. Anything banned is confiscated. For example, buns and muffins are strictly not allowed. Guess what school serves for pudding? Muffin
The nanny state can go too far. Parents have the right to feed their children what they choose, wether you like it or not
We've all been out of food/cash and struggled to fill a packed lunch, but cold day old macdonalds is just wrong! :shock:

I used to get a sandwich/roll (usually cheese or plastic ham), a banana or apple, something sweet and a wee thing like raisins or a cereal bar or these vile, gag-inducing monstrosities that I haven't seen in the shops in years (hopefully because they've been banned for being an affront to both decency and humanity itself :tongue:).

When it was really cold I'd get a small flask of soup if we had any too. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sammylou40
When my sons were at school these things happened more as a protest than a regular meal. Most parents are well aware of how to provide a healthy lunch and, more importantly, that their children will eat
School meals are provided to under 8s.
My nieces junior school has strict rules on what can be included. Anything banned is confiscated. For example, buns and muffins are strictly not allowed. Guess what school serves for pudding? Muffin
The nanny state can go too far. Parents have the right to feed their children what they choose, wether you like it or not

I appreciate this story nicely creates a 'newstory' for the media, but it is pretty outrageous all the same. I didn't realise some food was confiscated, that feels a bit passive-aggressive and could be handled in a different way, especially given the school is serving pudding of that kind.

But I think packing a cold old macdonalds is not far off abuse IMO. There is nothing nourishing in it, it's full of empty calories... it's going to be chewy and unpleasant to eat. I know parents are busy but that's not acceptable.

Children have the right to be fed healthy, energising food.
Original post by She-Ra
I appreciate this story nicely creates a 'newstory' for the media, but it is pretty outrageous all the same. I didn't realise some food was confiscated, that feels a bit passive-aggressive and could be handled in a different way, especially given the school is serving pudding of that kind.

But I think packing a cold old macdonalds is not far off abuse IMO. There is nothing nourishing in it, it's full of empty calories... it's going to be chewy and unpleasant to eat. I know parents are busy but that's not acceptable.

Children have the right to be fed healthy, energising food.

I agree. And it's got to be cheaper to get some bread, butter, cheese, a few pieces of fruit and something like a cereal bar than McDonalds?
Woah, schools can confiscate food out of packed lunches? :lolwut:
Original post by Tiger Rag
I agree. And it's got to be cheaper to get some bread, butter, cheese, a few pieces of fruit and something like a cereal bar than McDonalds?

Exactly, I think it was sheer laziness. :frown:

If you're an adult eating a nearly 24hour old cold happy meal then you're abusing yourself too.... but as an adult that's your choice. Kids don't have that level of autonomy when they're primary-school age.
They need to butt out of it. Either feed the kids for free or let parents do it as they see fit. It is none of the schools business what parents choose to give their kids.
Original post by Sternumator
They need to butt out of it. Either feed the kids for free or let parents do it as they see fit. It is none of the schools business what parents choose to give their kids.

Aside from when the kid has no energy because they're just being fed crap? Which means they can't do PE properly or focus on their work?
Original post by Sternumator

Disagree - they have a duty of care.

Kids are not going to be productive or energised when being fueled by utter rubbish....

Original post by Tiger Rag
Aside from when the kid has no energy because they're just being fed crap? Which means they can't do PE properly or focus on their work?

Completely agree! :colonhash:

Original post by sherbet_lemons7
We've all been out of food/cash and struggled to fill a packed lunch, but cold day old macdonalds is just wrong! :shock:

I used to get a sandwich/roll (usually cheese or plastic ham), a banana or apple, something sweet and a wee thing like raisins or a cereal bar or these vile, gag-inducing monstrosities that I haven't seen in the shops in years (hopefully because they've been banned for being an affront to both decency and humanity itself :tongue:).

When it was really cold I'd get a small flask of soup if we had any too. :smile:

That sounds decent :smile:

My mum used to make the best sandwiches, I'd have carrot and cucumber sticks.... maybe a small bag of mini cheddars, I felt like it was balanced... healthy stuff which a small treat. Would often have a cereal bar...
Reading all these. I agree. However school can take away anything on the banned list. Flasks aren't allowed. Health and safety. Not all schools allow cereal bars. Mini cheddars are a no no. It's a sandwich fruit and veg basically
Reply 17
As soon as I read "school in Kent" I knew it was going to be Medway area. :colonhash: It's chav central for the south east, so really not surprised when this sort of thing happens, sadly. Gotta feel sorry for the kids involved, hopefully the teachers can shame the parents into behaving a bit better, it at least sounds like they're trying to do the right thing.
I don't see why it's any of the schools business.They are there to teach not to control what the kids eat.They should stick to doing their job.
Reply 19
Original post by She-Ra

Rice.

I was that stereotypical Asian kid.

Quick Reply

Latest