The Student Room Group

Does uni really care for attendance? (1st year at Coventry Uni)

My friend has missed all lectures and tutorials for this semester yet the university hasn't sent him a warning or anything. We're both doing Mechanical Engineering and we've passed the exams and coursework (well I have one resit in summer) if that may have anything to do with it.

Or is the whole attendance check mainly for tier 4 students? Because tier 4 students have received emails regarding their attendance but my friend has not. Or it could also be that they're lenient on the first year students too I guess. I don't know.

I just thought that bad attendance would = a warning.

Scroll to see replies

What does it matter what the University thinks if you're the one paying £90 per lecture?
Reply 2
That's my mindset too, I dunno, I just heard lots of stories about how attendance is mandatory yet I've never seen anyone get in trouble about it
Reply 3
Attendance doesn't really matter. The university assumes that students are grown up enough to sort their life out and attend lectures. Attendance is only checked in one module for me, group design and that's just to ensure that the whole group is contributing. There's lots of people in uni who only show up to the exams but that's their choice and I'm guessing it doesn't turn out well on results day.
Original post by Tayranitar
My friend has missed all lectures and tutorials for this semester yet the university hasn't sent him a warning or anything. We're both doing Mechanical Engineering and we've passed the exams and coursework (well I have one resit in summer) if that may have anything to do with it.

Or is the whole attendance check mainly for tier 4 students? Because tier 4 students have received emails regarding their attendance but my friend has not. Or it could also be that they're lenient on the first year students too I guess. I don't know.

Are you a foreign student, or a home student?

Either way, this notion that the university doesn't care about attendance in the first year is nonsense. They do care about attendance, and monitor it. Have you got a card swipe system to monitor your attendance at lectures and classes? Or do you sign paper registers? Either way, non-attendance is not helping you. It's not going to maximise you chances of success - you've already got one re-sit, which suggests you're not doing as well as you should be. Moreover, if you fail again, or have a marginal case, then the university is going to look less kindly on it and be less inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt if you've got a poor attendance record. Most importantly, it's been shown time and time again that people who miss lectures and other timetabled teaching do less well that those who attend. It's not designed to be distance learning.

The notion that you've 'paid' for your course and therefore can pick and chose what you go to is rather childish. Just because you've paid a tuition fee doesn't mean you're now exempt from any of the course requirements regarding attendance and so forth. Things don't work like that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check

Either way, this notion that the university doesn't care about attendance in the first year is nonsense. They do care about attendance, and monitor it. Have you got a card swipe system to monitor your attendance at lectures and classes? Or do you sign paper registers? Either way, non-attendance is not helping you. It's not going to maximise you chances of success - you've already got one re-sit, which suggests you're not doing as well as you should be. Moreover, if you fail again, or have a marginal case, then the university is going to look less kindly on it and be less inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt if you've got a poor attendance record. Most importantly, it's been shown time and time again that people who miss lectures and other timetabled teaching do less well that those who attend. It's not designed to be distance learning.

The notion that you've 'paid' for your course and therefore can pick and chose what you go to is rather childish. Just because you've paid a tuition fee doesn't mean you're now exempt from any of the course requirements regarding attendance and so forth. Things don't work like that.

I'm a home student. I agree with what you're saying, my personal attendance hasn't been terrible but it can be better too, I've started to work on it lately. Missing lectures just makes me feel guilty so I could no longer keep doing it. We have a swipe system, but, we're at the second semester now and the people with terrible attendances haven't been warned, never mind told off. I'm starting to wonder why not, since I heard that most universities do warn students for poor attendance. All the foreign students have been warned though. Yeah I can't afford to mess up the retake.
I'm a home student. I agree with what you're saying, my personal attendance hasn't been terrible but it can be better too, I've started to work on it lately. Missing lectures just makes me feel guilty so I could no longer keep doing it. We have a swipe system, but, we're at the second semester now and the people with terrible attendances haven't been warned, never mind told off. I'm starting to wonder why not, since I heard that most universities do warn students for poor attendance. All the foreign students have been warned though. Yeah I can't afford to mess up the retake.

Good to hear. The foreign students will be warned because attendance is a key part of their Tier 4 visa - it can easily be revoked for non-attendance. They're more lenient with Home students, but it's still not acceptable. And, as you clearly understand from your post, it's not actually for the university's benefit that attendance is monitored - it's for your own benefit. No-one wants you to fail, but decent attendance is key to ensuring that this doesn't happen.

Best of luck with it, and the forthcoming examinations/re-sits.
Reply 7

It is possible that your mate may have provided your university with a reason as to why their attendances is so low, and don't feel like discussing it with you, so just pretends they haven't been warned. Also a chance they could have received that warning but have forgotten. Also worth noting that funding can be affected by a lack of attendance. Could always depend on how universities calculate their attendance, some might have a lower 'warning' rate than others. Always worth bringing it up with your teacher and/or mate if you think it'll negatively impact you in the long run. The international students are probably given a much smaller amount of absences they can take before they hit their warning limit, compared to home students. Remember to largely focus on your own attendance though, and not the people around you.

Student Attendance Monitoring - http://www.coventry.ac.uk/life-on-campus/the-university/key-information/registry/student-attendance-monitoring/
International Student Attendance - http://www.coventry.ac.uk/international-students-hub/current/living-in-the-uk/attendance-monitoring/

Your post is very broad though. Not all unis care. As long as you're averaging ok, they just ignore your low attendance. My friend went to 14% of his lectures last year. He averaged 79% and the uni didn't give a crap. Occasionally they sent emails encouraging him to go but that's it.

There's often no actual punishment. And to me, no repercussions is basically not caring.

Edit:

And I disagree with your quote too. There are also occasions where you learn faster at home with lecture notes. Personally I covered 4 weeks worth of lectures on a unit in 2 days at home. It was on mechanics. Sat the exam the day after and got a first in it.

Not everyone is blessed with great lecturers. And not everyone is studying units where not attending means you're screwed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pairofjeans
Your post is very broad though. Not all unis care. As long as you're averaging ok, they just ignore your low attendance. My friend went to 14% of his lectures last year. He averaged 79% and the uni didn't give a crap. Occasionally they sent emails encouraging him to go but that's it.

There's often no actual punishment. And to me, no repercussions is basically not caring.

No repercussions =/= not caring. And it's all fine and dandy until things start to go wrong. So your friend getting 79% with minimal attendance isn't going to be a huge issue, for obvious reasons. But if your friend then starts getting 39% in his next year with 14% attendance, then that low attendance is going to be a material consideration in whether or not he can progress. There's always going to be anecdotal cases of people doing tremendously well on zero attendance, but that doesn't detract from the general message that people with low attendance generally do less well than those with good attendance.

It's not a case of 'punishment' because university students aren't supposed to be children who need 'punishing'. It's about being responsible enough to go to the scheduled classes and lectures for the right reasons. No-one can force you, and no-one is particularly going to care when you fail the course. But that doesn't mean that they're not going to try to do everything they can to prevent that happening - and encouraging attendance is one such measure. It's also often the case that those students who are arrogant enough to think they can do the course 'using lecture notes' because of summary judgements on the quality of lecturers often do quite badly later on in their course because they suddenly find the material has got so much harder and they don't have the study skills or proper foundations to assimilate it.
(edited 7 years ago)
No repercussions =/= not caring. And it's all fine and dandy until things start to go wrong. So your friend getting 79% with minimal attendance isn't going to be a huge issue, for obvious reasons. But if your friend then starts getting 39% in his next year with 14% attendance, then that low attendance is going to be a material consideration in whether or not he can progress. There's always going to be anecdotal cases of people doing tremendously well on zero attendance, but that doesn't detract from the general message that people with low attendance generally do less well than those with good attendance.

It's not a case of 'punishment' because university students aren't supposed to be children who need 'punishing'. It's about being responsible enough to go to the scheduled classes and lectures for the right reasons. No-one can force you, and no-one is particularly going to care when you fail the course. But that doesn't mean that they're not going to try to do everything they can to prevent that happening - and encouraging attendance is one such measure.

But then you're incorrectly attributing things. It's not the actual attendance they give a crap about. It's how well the student is doing. If the student isn't doing well, they'll frantically look for reasons why. If attendance is one of those reasons then they'll address that too.

But to just say "universities care about attendance" on its own is wrong. Please tell me why there'd be no repercussions for poor attendance if they did indeed care? There's few universities that take actual action if you're missing lectures and still doing well.

Also I wasn't talking about punishing as in detention or something. It's uni afterall.I meant being kicked out of your course.
(edited 7 years ago)
But then you're incorrectly attributing things. It's not the actual attendance they give a crap about. It's how well the student is doing. If the student isn't doing well, they'll frantically look for reasons why. If attendance is one of those reasons then they'll address that too.

But to just say "universities care about attendance" on its own is wrong. Please tell me why there'd be no repercussions for poor attendance if they did indeed care? There's few universities that take actual action if you're missing lectures and still doing well.

No, you're misunderstanding the point. Attendance and progress are always two different things - good progress doesn't negate poor attendance. But obviously a university is going to be less worried about a poorly-attending student who has got satisfactory progress. This doesn't mean that the issue over poor attendance is entirely wiped out, but it has less of a focus. If a student progresses poorly and attendance is poor, then it's not a case of 'frantically looking for reasons' - the poor attendance will be cited as one of the reasons for poor progression.

You are not right to suggest that few universities would take action where a poorly-attending student was progressing well. There are plenty of universities who will take action if you're missing lectures and progressing well - in fact any university where attendance is a mandatory part of the course. This would include medicine and most allied health professional courses such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, dietetics, nursing, midwifery - where minimum attendance requirements are part and parcel of the course. Progression is irrelevant here where attendance is unsatisfactory.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
There's few universities that take actual action if you're missing lectures and still doing well.

One example is UCL, who have a mandatory 70% minimum attendance of lectures/seminars. If you fall below that attendance threshold - regardless of your results - you will be "ineligible for summative assessment". i.e. None of your work will be marked. So it doesn't matter how good your output is:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/srs/academic-manual/c1/taught-registration/attendance
One that clause is invoked, you'd have an uphill struggle convincing them that you're worth any more of their time.

As you will see from the Coventry Uni attendance policy linked in a post above, 100% attendance is expected and a 0-20% attendance record can lead to immediate withdrawal.

A friend of mine at Exeter narrowly avoided being withdrawn for lack of attendance, even with doctor's notes and Extenuating Circumstances granted. They had eventually missed so much teaching due to illness, that it was deemed unlikely that they would pass. Those without ECs in the same position weren't given the opportunity to discuss it - they were just withdrawn if two formal warnings were ignored.

My current uni will also withdraw students from a course for what the Code of Conduct terms "failure to engage with the course". That is mainly invoked for low/no attendance. Whilst attendance thresholds are not set, attendance is considered a key part of a university education. Maybe high-scoring students will be tolerated for longer, but they will by no means be immune.

Never underestimate the impact on a uni's stats, as these can affect league table ratings and reputation. From a stats point of view it looks better for the uni to withdraw a student that might fail, rather than keep them on and have them appear as a failure in the stats. Undergraduate withdrawals are seen as action which is taken against a student, where dropouts or failures are seen as at least partly the uni's fault.

So yes, there are plenty of unis who care about attendance and will take action regardless of results. A lack of attendance in the first year can have catastrophic knock-on consequences in subsequent years. To believe otherwise is quite wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi,

I’m in my first year at Derby and there have been people on my course that just never turn up but it isn’t a good idea. Your friend should really try to catch up as soon as possible, lecturers here at Derby will usually be open for 1-2-1s if someone is behind/wants extra help so talk to your lecturers and see if this is available to you. I would try not to worry about what other people are doing, it’s their own choice how they want to spend their time on a £9,000+ course, focus on making sure you attend lectures and get the most out of it that you can.

Molly
Reply 14
Original post by mollyanne98
Hi,

I’m in my first year at Derby and there have been people on my course that just never turn up but it isn’t a good idea. Your friend should really try to catch up as soon as possible, lecturers here at Derby will usually be open for 1-2-1s if someone is behind/wants extra help so talk to your lecturers and see if this is available to you. I would try not to worry about what other people are doing, it’s their own choice how they want to spend their time on a £9,000+ course, focus on making sure you attend lectures and get the most out of it that you can.

Molly

You might want to point your colleagues at Derby's academc regulations, which state that non-attendance can lead to termination/withdrawal at 14 days' notice:
https://www.derby.ac.uk/media/derbyacuk/contentassets/documents/academicregulations/201617/Part-E---Student-Particiption-2016-v1.pdf
Original post by 1c8e2
Attendance doesn't really matter. The university assumes that students are grown up enough to sort their life out and attend lectures. Attendance is only checked in one module for me, group design and that's just to ensure that the whole group is contributing. There's lots of people in uni who only show up to the exams but that's their choice and I'm guessing it doesn't turn out well on results day.

turns out pretty​ Gucci for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

some places will kick you out if you don't turn up but a your both passing i'd assume they're ok with it.
I attended lectures my first year and did okay. Second year I relaized how much of a waste of time they were, personally for me , as they may have been useful for others . I performed much better my second year . I find if the notes are accesible online and i can self teach it then that is much more efficient than sitting in a lecture scrolling through instagram , because I have yet to go to a lecture where the lecturer is actually good ! Lol . Again this is solely based on my experiences .
For the first 2 years of uni I never missed a lesson, but now I'm in my final year and I've skipped so many lectures and never been pulled up for it. Slowly realised this year that a lot of my actual lectures are a waste of time so don't see the point in attending when I could actually be doing work. I think if you're handing your work in and making good progress it is not seen as much of an issue.

At the end of the day you're the one ultimately paying the price for your education so...
3rd and 4th year combined I only went to less than 10% of teaching sessions; this was made up of those annoying 'you must attend as its registered' lectures; seminars; tutorials and labs, all which were compulsory. I don't learn by being spoken at and that's what the majority of my lecturers did. So I'd organised myself to stay ahead of the taught lessons by a week; I'd go over lecture notes in advance at my own pace and use journals and my peers to clarify concepts etc. I attended a lot in my 1st year, but again, the uni won't care unless your taught sessions are registered.

Latest

Trending

Trending