The Student Room Group

Got caught stealing from Tesco today

Today I got caught shoplifting at Tesco - £20 of groceries. When I got called to the back of the store I had to empty my bag and tell them why I stole etc. I am 17 but when they asked my age I said 16, gave a fake name but a real address. The man said he is going to add my name to their records. He didn't say whether the police were going to be informed or if my parents would be either. What's likely to happen after this? I was told to never enter that specific store again but I did pay for the groceries. I also confessed I had been doing this for about a month. What's going to happen? Are they just going to 'add my name to their system' or is something more likely to come about from this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxcy
Today I got caught shoplifting at Tesco - £20 of groceries. When I got called to the back of the store I had to empty my bag and tell them why I stole etc. I am 17 but when they asked my age I said 16, gave a fake name but a real address. The man said he is going to add my name to their records. He didn't say whether the police were going to be informed or if my parents would be either. What's likely to happen after this? I was told to never enter that specific store again but I did pay for the groceries. I also confessed I had been doing this for about a month. What's going to happen? Are they just going to 'add my name to their system' or is something more likely to come about from this?

Given you've been caught on CCTV stealing and caught by the security team then I'd imagine they'd show the footage to the police - the theory being that if you've been caught stealing from Tesco you've probably also been going around stealing from other shops. Retailers like to share information about thieves wherever possible so they can protect themselves from them.
Original post by Oxcy

I would think they will take it no further because you were allowed to pay for the items. If they were going to use the police they would have called them. Fingers crossed.
Were you stopped inside the store or outside? AFAIK it isn't a crime unless you've actually left the building with the goods...
Original post by Oxcy

You shouldn't have done that bruh! Getting your name in the police records at just 17 doesn't speak well of u...
Well.... now all you could do is request them not to take the matter to the police... BTW just to let you know.... when applying to uni they ask for this kinda police criminal record or something and if the university finds out they have all the rights to reject your application....
Original post by Anonymous
Were you stopped inside the store or outside? AFAIK it isn't a crime unless you've actually left the building with the goods...

Not really relevant - the OP admitted to the store security team that they'd been stealing from the store for a month or so.
Original post by Reality Check
Given you've been caught on CCTV stealing and caught by the security team then I'd imagine they'd show the footage to the police - the theory being that if you've been caught stealing from Tesco you've probably also been going around stealing from other shops. Retailers like to share information about thieves wherever possible so they can protect themselves from them.

Why would they waste their time? Why did they let the OP pay? Hardly the response against a serious criminal threat. They will get shoplifters all the time. The manager/ assistant just used their discretion.
Reply 7
I was about to walk out and I got stopped by a security guy. He was just like 'you know why I've stopped you don't you?' So I presume they've seen me on CCTV previously.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Why would they waste their time? Why did they let the OP pay? Hardly the response against a serious criminal threat. They will get shoplifters all the time. The manager/ assistant just used their discretion.

So you think the fact they let me pay suggests they're dropping it there?

Maybe the manager's got a social conscience and wants to protect other retailers in the vicinity from thieves like the OP? Yes, they will get shoplifters all the time but that doesn't mean they'll just ignore them and let them off scott free. Given the OP is highly likely to continue to steal, it makes economic sense to the shop to ensure he's dealt with appropriately. Maybe they've 'let him off', but there again, maybe they've informed the police and passed the CCTV footage on. Who knows? Any of our responses are guesswork.
(edited 7 years ago)
I hope the police are getting involved. Theft is one of the reasons for increasing food costs. You learn from your mistakes... but get a job, and pay for the goods instead of stealing.

This isnt quite correct. Once the OP moves beyond the tills, then they are avoiding the opportunity to pay, thats when it becomes theft. Anywhere before the tills you can ofc do as you wish (not opening and eating though). the manager wouldnt have taken the OP in unless they had clearly tried to leave without an intention to pay.
Reply 12
Original post by Reality Check
Maybe the manager's got a social conscience and wants to protect other retailers in the vicinity from thieves like the OP? Yes, they will get shoplifters all the time but that doesn't mean they'll just ignore them and let them off scott free. Given the OP is highly likely to continue to steal, it makes economic sense to the shop to ensure he's dealt with appropriately. Maybe they've 'let him off', but there again, maybe they've informed the police and passed the CCTV footage on. Who knows? Any of our responses are guesswork.

What happens when footage gets passed to the police?
Reply 13
This isnt quite correct. Once the OP moves beyond the tills, then they are avoiding the opportunity to pay, thats when it becomes theft. Anywhere before the tills you can ofc do as you wish (not opening and eating though). the manager wouldnt have taken the OP in unless they had clearly tried to leave without an intention to pay.

I was beyond the till...
Original post by Oxcy
I was beyond the till...

Thats what I assumed otherwise he wouldnt have banned you. the only sightly grey area is if it was before the tills and you had concealed items i.e zipped you bag up. Thats why they wait for you to pass the tills so it shows you have avoided the opportunity to pay.

Hopefully you looked very frightened and distressed so they took pity on you. Are you M or F? You are lucky he let you pay.
It's all guess work but my guess is that you won't hear about it again. From what I've seen on TV, neither security or the police are going to be too bothered about £20 worth for a first time offender.

There are people who shoplift thousands of pounds worth of stuff everyday. Obviously, they have to do something with them to try and put a stop to it.

The fact he got you to pay for it to me is an indication nothing else will happen. If you don't go back to the shop again, I don't think you will have a problem.
Reply 16
Thats what I assumed otherwise he wouldnt have banned you. the only sightly grey area is if it was before the tills and you had concealed items i.e zipped you bag up. Thats why they wait for you to pass the tills so it shows you have avoided the opportunity to pay.

Hopefully you looked very frightened and distressed so they took pity on you. Are you M or F? You are lucky he let you pay.

I am F. he took me to the back of the store and asked me why I stole. (this isnt true) but i said i was doing the world challenge in summer and i was struggling to raise money so when my mom would give me grocery money, i would keep it and steal the groceries instead. I told him my mom would be really disappointed if she knew i stole it because she expects me to buy the groceries with it. he seemed reasonably sympathetic and i also said 'ik its cliche but i am generally so sorry it was just a bad habit that spiralled out of control and that id never do it again'

he said he doesnt agree with stealing regardless but seen as it was only £20 hed let me pay and i can never come back

he just hasn't really clarified to me whats going to happen next

as i was about to leave i apologised again, and very genuinely

even as he was walking with me to pay for the 'stolen items' he left me with the box, a few feet away from the checkout and said 'here, i wont embarrass you, just make sure you pay'

obviously i paid

he just didnt specify what would happen. when he asked me to give my address, he said 'if you dont then i have to get the police here'
does that suggest hes not going to call the police now that ive been 'warned'?
Reply 17
Original post by Sternumator
It's all guess work but my guess is that you won't hear about it again. From what I've seen on TV, neither security or the police are going to be too bothered about £20 worth for a first time offender.

There are people who shoplift thousands of pounds worth of stuff everyday. Obviously, they have to do something with them to try and put a stop to it.

The fact he got you to pay for it to me is an indication nothing else will happen. If you don't go back to the shop again, I don't think you will have a problem.

yeah the guy made a point of telling me people steal thousands...im just scared because i think they've seen me on the CCTV before and i did admit ive been stealing from the shop for one month...
>Tesco
Literally the worst place ever.
You should went to co-op, or a smaller store, hell, even those crappy corner stores.
Always wear a cap and deny everything.
Original post by Oxcy
I am F. he took me to the back of the store and asked me why I stole. (this isnt true) but i said i was doing the world challenge in summer and i was struggling to raise money so when my mom would give me grocery money, i would keep it and steal the groceries instead. I told him my mom would be really disappointed if she knew i stole it because she expects me to buy the groceries with it. he seemed reasonably sympathetic and i also said 'ik its cliche but i am generally so sorry it was just a bad habit that spiralled out of control and that id never do it again'

he said he doesnt agree with stealing regardless but seen as it was only £20 hed let me pay and i can never come back

he just hasn't really clarified to me whats going to happen next

as i was about to leave i apologised again, and very genuinely

even as he was walking with me to pay for the 'stolen items' he left me with the box, a few feet away from the checkout and said 'here, i wont embarrass you, just make sure you pay'

obviously i paid

he just didnt specify what would happen. when he asked me to give my address, he said 'if you dont then i have to get the police here'
does that suggest hes not going to call the police now that ive been 'warned'?

Sounds like you will be fine- he used his discretion and let you off. Saves paperwork, hassle and a lot of grief. The police wont really want to deal with it either. Obviously no guarantee, but it all indicates youd be fine. If it were serious he wouldnt have let you pay, he also would have cared whether you were embarrassed or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending