The Student Room Group

Why aren't you Vegan?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thequickspark
Those are both carnivorous animals, who need meat in order to be healthy. I've heard that there are some vegan pet foods available, however, I've seen that their health tends to deteriorate on such diets. Be careful!

I only feed them the finest vegans, that I hand pick myself, their diets couldn't be any better than that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
I only feed them the finest vegans, that I hand pick myself, their diets couldn't be any better than that.

I hear vegans aren't great sources of B12, so you might want to try a more nutrient dense source, say, a child from the Americas? They tend to have higher fat to bone ratios, meaning you're getting substantially more for your money. :smile:
I hear vegans aren't great sources of B12, so you might want to try a more nutrient dense source, say, a child from the Americas? They tend to have higher fat to bone ratios, meaning you're getting substantially more for your money. :smile:

Perhaps you're right, not only would they be a better choice, they'd probably be easier to catch as well. :curious:
(edited 7 years ago)

However.

The idea of obtaining the milk in a manner that is "compassionate" is something that I have to question and is an area where I have great doubt. For a start, I doubt that the milk you consume is always "compassionately" obtained, and that your standards of compassion are going to vary from my own.

Cow's milk is meant for a calf. Cows only produce milk during lactation, meaning that a cow would have to be pregnant or have a calf in order to do so. This means that the cow either became pregnant naturally through insemination with a bull, or artificial insemination using a rape rack (a term founded by the industry, not myself.)

With this out of the way, then you have to consider what happens to the calf? Obviously, we want the milk for ourselves and the calf is only going to cut into our profit margin, especially, in terms of providing it with land and ample food. In most cases, the calf is either discarded for the vile industry, or bread into a fully sized cow in order to repeat the cycle of dairy production. By my standards, this is inherently cruel and unjustifiable.

The alternative, is that we keep all the calfs alive, which are produced by cows used for dairy consumption, and this will simply not be a cost-effective method of production.

Then you have the issue of the substantially reduced life expectancy caused by constantly having cows in a state of lactation. We're talking 20 years down to an average of 4 or 5.

Look, as I've already said, you're already doing a great job by eliminating most animal products from your diet and I'm not going to tell you that you have to go vegan. However, the idea of compassionate sourcing of milk is just unrealistic to me.

Thanks for your considerate response.

I should have clarified that I strictly don't consume cow's milk. I've been drinking soya milk for the last year or so, and I've found it to be a much better alternative. However, I do eat margherita pizza often (it's one of my favourite foods) and the mozzarella is made from cow's milk, so yeah, in that case I would be contributing to unnecessary suffering. I'm pretty much borderline vegan. I don't directly consume milk or eggs, however, they occasionally appear in some the foods I eat. I probably sound like a guy in denial to you, but I understand that. I don't really have any excuse.

I might go vegan in a few years.
Those are both carnivorous animals, who need meat in order to be healthy. I've heard that there are some vegan pet foods available, however, I've seen that their health tends to deteriorate on such diets. Be careful!

Actually, dogs can be classed as omnivores, since their intestinal length is slightly longer than the cat, and wolves eat grains as well. I hear that they can live on a vegetarian diet and still be healthy, though my family dogs are still fed meat anyway, so I don't have first-hand experience with that. But yeah, cats are strictly carnivorous.
I'd be more inclined to go vegan if the current vegans weren't so aggressive towards non-vegans.

I've seen posts on Facebook with vegans bullying non-vegans about the fact they have cow's milk in their diet, which is an extremely common ingredient in many foods. I get there are moral arguments against cow's milk, but vilifying someone for having it in their diet? You're hardly going to convince someone to change their whole diet by calling them stupid, immoral, or any other ad hominem attack or we would have cured many of live's ills by now using this "method".

How far does it go? By building roads and houses, we are displacing animals, insects etc. that used to live there, isn't that a non-vegan thing to do and by living in a town/city you are a hypocrite?

Vegans need to understand that they are entitled to live the way they do and give advice to non-vegans on their diets but it is tiresome when thy shove it down your throats all the time and resort to namecalling if you disagree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I'd be more inclined to go vegan if the current vegans weren't so aggressive towards non-vegans.

I've seen posts on Facebook with vegans bullying non-vegans about the fact they have cow's milk in their diet, which is an extremely common ingredient in many foods. I get there are moral arguments against cow's milk, but vilifying someone for having it in their diet? You're hardly going to convince someone to change their whole diet by calling them stupid, immoral, or any other ad hominem attack or we would have cured many of live's ills by now using this "method".

Don't take it the wrong way, but I think it's petty to choose to live a certain way based on the kindness/rudeness of the demographic. You should be making this decision based on compassion and morality. The truth is, you're going to find *******s in every group, and sure, there's militant vegans, but there's also militant atheists, militant liberals, militant conservatives... The inclination to go vegan should come from guilt and self-reflection.
Original post by Joel 96
Don't take it the wrong way, but I think it's petty to choose to live a certain way based on the kindness/rudeness of the demographic. You should be making this decision based on compassion and morality. The truth is, you're going to find *******s in every group, and sure, there's militant vegans, but there's also militant atheists, militant liberals, militant conservatives... The inclination to go vegan should come from guilt and self-reflection.

I get what you're saying, but by saying people should feel guilty for eating meat is exactly what I'm talking about. Why can't vegans just live their lives and get on with it without criticising people different to them saying they must feel guilty, immoral etc...

There are many reasons why I am not a vegan, the rudeness of the keyboard warrior vegans is one small reason that merely makes me less inclined to become one. Realistically I could become vegetarian but not vegan as I would struggle massively to cut out dairy. I don't have the time to be spending half my life reading ingredients labels.
For the people saying they don't want to give up meat, i've got to say as a non-vegan Quorn is pretty damn good and if it were cheaper i'd go for it.
I wanted to be vegi but the allergies made it a bit difficult
because i dont want to be
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I get what you're saying, but by saying people should feel guilty for eating meat is exactly what I'm talking about. Why can't vegans just live their lives and get on with it without criticising people different to them saying they must feel guilty, immoral etc...

I agree to some extent, this same perception put me off for a long time. It was meeting vegans in real life hat were nothing like the stereotype which planted the seed in my mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because it rules out millions of tasty dishes, and meat is a big part of my life I enjoy eating meat, I could not give up veal or fish.
Being vegan is even sillier than vegitarian, ruling out even more food.

You can stick your moralitiy where it belongs
If we stop eating other creatures then technically, we're disrupting the very important course of natural selection?
Because

A) If you have to supplement your diet with artificially made supplements and vitamins then that diet by definition isn't natural or good for you.

B) I already tried a vegetarian diet for a few months and I found that I felt weak and lethargic a lot so I quit it.

C) I see no reason to go veggie or even vegan as long as you source your meat/ dairy from free range sources
Vegan girls are harder to live with than vegatarian ones.
It's over Anakin, I have the moral high ground!
As I predicted, the majority of the reasons why people won't go vegan are because they don't want to give up the taste of meat/dairy. (Or it's too 'inconvenient.':wink:

Basically, you're saying "my taste buds take precedence over any sense of morality." That's fine if you can be honest about it.

Also, I imagine most vegans are angry because they are fighting against mass slaughter, torture, rape (if you consider the artificial, forced insemination of cows rape) and abuse. Vegans can't understand how people can smugly call themselves good people and still commit these insidious crimes against sentient beings. All for the taste.

I don't mean to come across as a nuisance, but I want to convey how thoroughly frustrating it is to be surrounded by people who don't care about the suffering of others.

There are some actual justifications to not be vegan, including certain allergies and conditions that make eliminating certain foods harder, being in a family that forces you to consume animal products, or simply not caring about your health or the welfare of our environment/the beings that co-inhabit our earth.

Any argument claiming that we must consume animals as part of the food chain is misled and somewhat ignorant. There's plenty of evidence suggesting that we are more herbivorous by nature, but can subsist on animal products at a cost to our health. Real omnivores/carnivores don't get atherosclerosis FYI. Also we are a prey species by nature. Only through developing tools did we gain the upper-hand.

A note on 'free-range'. In most places on Earth, the standards for considering an animal to be living in a 'free-range' environment are horrifically lenient. Most of your milk still contains antibiotics and millions of pustular cells. Furthermore, calfs still need to be bred and then discarded in order for the mother cow to lactate, which is something you cannot get around. A horrifying proportion of hens have been genetically manipulated to grow to sizes that their legs cannot support, meaning that they shatter and develop diseases from their surroundings. Additionally, the presence of salmonella should be enough to convince any sane person to avoid eggs, if the high amount of cholesterol, fat and the fact it came from a hen's rectum wasn't enough. Yes, eggs come from hen's rectums and not some form of a vagina as in the case of humans, meaning that they are covered in fecal matter, urine and 'juice' without being explicit.

As for the other animals used for meat, I don't think I need to explain any further. Unnecessary suffering is unnecessary suffering either way you slice it.

Edit: I just noticed the pun at the end. That really wasn't intentional.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't want to be. That's why
Excellent point.

lol at meat substitutes as well.

Quick Reply

Latest