The Student Room Group

I just had my first driving lesson AMA

^^^
So how was it?
I've done my fifth and I still feel as though I've only done one lesson.. how much did you do?
Reply 3
Original post by Miss.Unknow
So how was it?

Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
I've done my fifth and I still feel as though I've only done one lesson.. how much did you do?

It was alright tbh i wasn't too nervous. I've never ever driven a car before but my instructor said i did quite well for a first go. And I went through the basics like the controls of the car, mirrors etc. I got to drive but it was just starting off the car (biting point) using the accelerator lightly to maintain a slow, steady speed, and pulling over to the side and breaking.
How much did you pay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the driving instructor good and are you a quick learner?
Did it shock you when the car actually moved? For me it was such a shock that I'd actually made it move and I was somehow controlling the car :tongue: Almost as if I wasn't expecting to learn to drive haha!
Reply 7
Original post by My Moon <3
How much did you pay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by emerald7770
Is the driving instructor good and are you a quick learner?

I paid £42 as it was a 2 hour lesson so £21 p/h.
And yeah the driving instructor was pretty good at explaining stuff. The hard part was taking all of the new information in and applying it to physically driving the car. I would say from how I felt after todays lesson, and the feedback my instructor gave me, that I'm an average learner lol. I wasn't nervous or anything, it was just the fact that there was a lot to take in and get to grips with.
Reply 8
Original post by carrotstar
Did it shock you when the car actually moved? For me it was such a shock that I'd actually made it move and I was somehow controlling the car :tongue: Almost as if I wasn't expecting to learn to drive haha!

Yeah it did shock me a bit:biggrin: Also, when the instructor told me to press lightly on the accelerator, I pressed too hard and didn't think I would go as fast as I expected it to go. It's literally just a light tap and you're off:biggrin: And I felt like that too- even though I didn't feel fully in control, it was a relief that I'd managed to get to grips with the basics! At times I felt that driving was such a complex thing to learn, but then I remind myself that there are the thickest of people who have passed their test and I feel a little more optimistic lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dmy15
Yeah it did shock me a bit:biggrin: Also, when the instructor told me to press lightly on the accelerator, I pressed too hard and didn't think I would go as fast as I expected it to go. It's literally just a light tap and you're off:biggrin: And I felt like that too- even though I didn't feel fully in control, it was a relief that I'd managed to get to grips with the basics! At times I felt that driving was such a complex thing to learn, but then I remind myself that there are the thickest of people who have passed their test and I feel a little more optimistic lol.

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply!

Driving is seriously complicated! So many things to balance, too many directions to look in at once...

Something my Dad kept telling me running up to my test is that after you've passed the test and are on the road alone is when you really learn to drive, and he is completely right! When you pass your test, you will feel like you started driving yesterday, and like you shouldn't be trusted behind the wheel on your own, but only after months of day-in day-out driving in your own time will you develop your own driving style and routine and really start to trust your senses.

Good luck to you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending