The Student Room Group

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Yes thats me ! But i calculated it wrong it was 157 ums. However, i didn't want to do t again but my parents were keen on me doing so im doing it again. I'm not finding it that hard tbh!

I just have to over A2 1-9 and do past papers
And finish rest of AS
Reply 141
And im doing 2 a levels and a btec lol

I only have 4 exams and 2 of them are AS and A2 ICT and one is a Language speaking exam and the other one Language written
Original post by AA923
And im doing 2 a levels and a btec lol

I only have 4 exams and 2 of them are AS and A2 ICT and one is a Language speaking exam and the other one Language written

Ah I see. I'm doing Maths, Business and this. Doing the welsh bacc too which can be quite demanding so I wouldn't be able to resit and do as well as I would like. I think that was what motivated me more than anything, I didn't want to resit at all costs.
Reply 143
Original post by PedanticStudent
Ah I see. I'm doing Maths, Business and this. Doing the welsh bacc too which can be quite demanding so I wouldn't be able to resit and do as well as I would like. I think that was what motivated me more than anything, I didn't want to resit at all costs.

Niether did I but out of stress i messed up the soreadsheet like entered wrong formula and made really silly misakes which i shouldnt have made and didnt make when i was doing past papers
Reply 144
How many marks do I need to get an A in IT3

AS ums was 172
IT4 is full marks
Original post by adil7
How many marks do I need to get an A in IT3

AS ums was 172
IT4 is full marks

For an A overall in A Level ICT given that the information you have said is correct, 68UMS is needed in IT3 this year.

This would be anywhere between 55-62 out of 90 RAW marks depending on how badly us candidates do this summer.

So to be safe, you want about 65/90 in IT3. That's 25 RAW marks you can afford to drop which is a nice(ish) leeway for you.
Reply 146
For an A overall in A Level ICT given that the information you have said is correct, 68UMS is needed in IT3 this year.

This would be anywhere between 55-62 out of 90 RAW marks depending on how badly us candidates do this summer.

So to be safe, you want about 65/90 in IT3. That's 25 RAW marks you can afford to drop which is a nice(ish) leeway for you.

Thank you, I appreciate it.
I have attached both pages you uploaded here with comments on the side of each answer.

By and large, you have done a very good job and have done well in memorising a lot of the points.

My only concern would be with a couple of little things which might cost you marks in the exam as they are very harsh on the accuracy of definitions. I saw the principal examiner withdraw a mark just because somebody didn't say 'and processing' on the end of a definition.

However, many of your definitions are fine but I do urge you to learn the problem ones that I have pointed out more thoroughly to guarantee yourself the marks.

Good performance overall nonetheless.

Absolute legend mate, i cannot thank you enough for your help dude. I've made appropriate adjustments to my answers based on your feedback and will stick closer to the mark scheme from now on. (hopefully it's full marks now)

This week I've managed to complete all the questions for HCI, but I realised that I need to do at least 3 topics a week if i'm going to fit in enough time to do all the past papers too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 148
A system analyst has been employed by a council to produce a new computer based system to replace the system currently running their central lending library. Other than observation, describe two methods the analyst could use to investigate their current system. [2×3]

Hi , Can anyone give me a model answer for this question as i do not really undertsnad the mark scheme for this question an dhow to put it into an answer which is good enough. Thank you! ( have been dewelling on this for days :frown:)
Reply 149
Discuss 4 methods which could be used to prevent Deliberate destruction or misuse of data? I don't understand this question
Original post by adil7
Discuss 4 methods which could be used to prevent Deliberate destruction or misuse of data? I don't understand this question

This is a question from back in summer 2010. This particular paper probably has the worst, most poorly organised mark scheme out of all of them.

This question did not come up again for another six years, and came up as one of the optional questions as the alternative group to databases in section B in 2016's exam.

See the mark scheme I have attached below. You will see that the question is basically identical and is asking for the same thing.

The mark scheme for the 2016 appearance is much more thorough and useful than the tat thrown together for 2010.

Basically how it works is; you get one mark for stating the method itself (first column) - I would advise you to embed this into a well worded sentence for safety. The second mark then comes from the discussion of an extension ie: a more detailed description / example of the method.

Example of what I mean:

One methodology of protecting the loss of data due to deliberate crimes would be through the control of access to server rooms. An approach that could be taken to apply this method is by fitting retina scanning equipment which must be used by anyone wishing to access any room containing data; it could also be ensured that only authorised persons who have a genuine reason to be in the server room are allowed to do so ie: keeping it off limits to non-technical staff.

Another way of protecting the loss of data due to this type of misuse is by way of encryption. This process can essentially protect any transmitted data and makes it more difficult for an attacker to manipulate it or make any use of the data should it be stolen. There are many encryption algorithms in use and help organisations in this regard. eg: SHA1, SHA256, RSA etc etc....

You can see how I knead the points into a sentence. It just creates the illusion that you know what you are talking about and would satisfy the examiner that you are answering in sufficient detail in line with an A level exam paper.

Hope this helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 151
This is a question from back in summer 2010. This particular paper probably has the worst, most poorly organised mark scheme out of all of them.

This question did not come up again for another six years, and came up as one of the optional questions as the alternative group to databases in section B in 2016's exam.

See the mark scheme I have attached below. You will see that the question is basically identical and is asking for the same thing.

The mark scheme for the 2016 appearance is much more thorough and useful than the tat thrown together for 2010.

Basically how it works is; you get one mark for stating the method itself (first column) - I would advise you to embed this into a well worded sentence for safety. The second mark then comes from the discussion of an extension ie: a more detailed description / example of the method.

Example of what I mean:

One methodology of protecting the loss of data due to deliberate crimes would be through the control of access to server rooms. An approach that could be taken to apply this method is by fitting retina scanning equipment which must be used by anyone wishing to access any room containing data; it could also be ensured that only authorised persons who have a genuine reason to be in the server room are allowed to do so ie: keeping it off limits to non-technical staff.

Another way of protecting the loss of data due to this type of misuse is by way of encryption. This process can essentially protect any transmitted data and makes it more difficult for an attacker to manipulate it or make any use of the data should it be stolen. There are many encryption algorithms in use and help organisations in this regard. eg: SHA1, SHA256, RSA etc etc....

You can see how I knead the points into a sentence. It just creates the illusion that you know what you are talking about and would satisfy the examiner that you are answering in sufficient detail in line with an A level exam paper.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

For my AS paper , I never used sentences and only wrote like this

Encryption- protect any transmitted data
Original post by adil7
Thank you,

For my AS paper , I never used sentences and only wrote like this

Encryption- protect any transmitted data

What grade did you get if you don't mind me asking?

I can understand the approach of

Encryption (fine) - protect any transmitted data............................... (more detail) - But I would personally write a bit more than that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 153
What grade did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Grade A
Original post by adil7
Grade A

In that case it is entirely up to you whether you are to trust your gut and experience, but it can never hurt to add more detail and would stand in your favour if he decided one year to turn a 'state' into a 'describe' on a particular question for example - its two and a half hours long after all.

You may well be able to get away with something as succinct as you wrote, but I would feel paranoid writing that on an exam haha.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 155
In that case it is entirely up to you whether you are to trust your gut and experience, but it can never hurt to add more detail and would stand in your favour if he decided one year to turn a 'state' into a 'describe' on a particular question for example.

You may well be able to get away with something as succinct as you wrote, but I would feel paranoid writing that on an exam haha.

Haha, I am on topic 5 at the moment. I have been trying your method of learning the mark scheme. Hopefully I should be finished by Friday.
Reply 156
Original post by AA923
A system analyst has been employed by a council to produce a new computer based system to replace the system currently running their central lending library. Other than observation, describe two methods the analyst could use to investigate their current system. [2×3]

Hi , Can anyone give me a model answer for this question as i do not really undertsnad the mark scheme for this question an dhow to put it into an answer which is good enough. Thank you! ( have been dewelling on this for days :frown:)

Pedantic Student, Do you have a model answer for this ??
Original post by AA923
Pedantic Student, Do you have a model answer for this ??

Hi.

I will get one to you this evening.
Original post by hehexd
Absolute legend mate, i cannot thank you enough for your help dude. I've made appropriate adjustments to my answers based on your feedback and will stick closer to the mark scheme from now on. (hopefully it's full marks now)

This week I've managed to complete all the questions for HCI, but I realised that I need to do at least 3 topics a week if i'm going to fit in enough time to do all the past papers too.

No problems at all really. Well done.
Reply 159
Hi, How many marks would this one get :

Q-
Discuss the needs of a disabled user and describe how they meet these needs when designing a HCI (4marks)

A-
For people who are visually impaired they can have their screens configured using large fonts, this would make it easier to read for them and open the programs which they would like it as they are better able to see the name of the programs.

Another way which could be used to help a disabled user use a computer is to have visual messages on screen instead of sound for the deaf. This would help the user use a computer because they would be able to see and read what they have done wrong however if it was in terms of sound they wouldn’t be able to know if they had an error or not.

Furthermore, a way which could help a disabled user use a computer are that controlling devices can be used for people who cannot use their arms. For example, using an Eye typer for entering text.

One last feature of a human computer interface which would help a disabled user use a computer is to magnify areas of the screen for people with poor eye sight as this would help them see different areas of the screen in closer view making it easier for the user to carry out different tasks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending