The Student Room Group

MSc Clinical Embryology

Scroll to see replies

@Otago_2017 and @mzem
Hey guys , I just recieved an e-mail yesterday and my interview is on Friday the 27th , u'll probably hear from them in the next few days.
Good luck guys , fingers crossed we could be classmates soon :-)
@Yomma mokhtar

Good luck to you too! My interview will be on Wednesday the 25th, hopefully we can be classmates!! :biggrin:
Hey everyone, I have an interview for the MSc in Clinical Embryology on the 1st Feb for 2017 entry! How is/did everyone prepare for their interview? Hopefully see some of you in October! :smile:
Reply 103
I was part of the second intake (2009-10)... The interview is very relaxed (I had mine over Skype as I was abroad)... They will obviously touch upon your CV. Read up on IVF, current developments in the news (ovarian cryopreservation for example), the role of the HTA/HFEA, ESHRE, ASRM. Join ivf.net. Familiarise yourself with the profile of those that will be interviewing you. Read up about Oxford and the University. Also look up programs at other universities and make comparisons. Also, please do think how this MSc fits in with your future plans so as to justify your interest in it. Good luck!
Original post by vinpooh
I was part of the second intake (2009-10)... The interview is very relaxed (I had mine over Skype as I was abroad)... They will obviously touch upon your CV. Read up on IVF, current developments in the news (ovarian cryopreservation for example), the role of the HTA/HFEA, ESHRE, ASRM. Join ivf.net. Familiarise yourself with the profile of those that will be interviewing you. Read up about Oxford and the University. Also look up programs at other universities and make comparisons. Also, please do think how this MSc fits in with your future plans so as to justify your interest in it. Good luck!

Thank you so much! That is really helpful :smile: Do you mind me asking what you currently do and how the MSc fits into it?
Reply 105
Original post by Treacle_000
Thank you so much! That is really helpful :smile: Do you mind me asking what you currently do and how the MSc fits into it?

Hi everyone,
My name's Louisa and Im studying Medicine at Birmingham uni right now. I'm thinking of applying for the MSc for 2017, applications are still open luckily! :smile: I just wondered if anyone knew whether you could get a job as a Clinical Embryologist after completing this course? Did any of you have previous experience in this field or manage to get work experience?
Reply 106
Original post by Treacle_000

I work as a Tissue Coordinator at NDCN, University of Oxford and love it! I wanted to go back to training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (I studied medicine) but immigration issues meant I had to find a Tier 2 General eligible job instead. I tried looking for a Clinical Embryologist training post in the UK but had no luck (the MSc without the work experience didn't take one far)... The MSc would certainly help me going forward but was of no use with regards to securing my present job.
Reply 107
Original post by louisaB
Hi everyone,
My name's Louisa and Im studying Medicine at Birmingham uni right now. I'm thinking of applying for the MSc for 2017, applications are still open luckily! :smile: I just wondered if anyone knew whether you could get a job as a Clinical Embryologist after completing this course? Did any of you have previous experience in this field or manage to get work experience?

STP training is VERY competitive. You would be lucky if you get shortlisted for an interview! Better opportunities abroad though.
Reply 108
Hello everyone!Does anybody know, when we will be informed if we are accepted in the programme?
Reply 109
Hey, ToniaS! I thought it was gonna be last week, but apparently we might have to wait a couple days more.
Reply 110
Original post by mzem
Hey, ToniaS! I thought it was gonna be last week, but apparently we might have to wait a couple days more.

Thank you for the immediate response! I hope we don't have to wait long!
Hey guys, I've ringed the course administrator, and apparently we might still have to wait for up to 2 weeks before we'll get the result for the interview :frown:
Reply 112
Got our offers today (in case people are still waiting)!
Reply 113
The Facebook group for our batch is called 'MSc Clinical Embryology Oxford 2017-2018', please feel free to join :smile:
Hi, go anywhere but don't go to Dundee. It's a very stressful course and students end up doing many unnecessary assessments and they also fail so many students. Very disorganized course. You can become everything else but not an embryologist by Dundee course.
Reply 115
Original post by mzem
The Facebook group for our batch is called 'MSc Clinical Embryology Oxford 2017-2018', please feel free to join :smile:

Hello!!! I tried to find this group, but nothing appeared on Facebook....
Hi there!

My interview is scheduled for day after- 31st of March. And I'm a tad bit nervous! You guys have any tips? And what kind of questions do they ask? Also, when did you get to hear on their final offer?

Thanks!
Reply 117
Original post by tanaya_nar
Hi there!

My interview is scheduled for day after- 31st of March. And I'm a tad bit nervous! You guys have any tips? And what kind of questions do they ask? Also, when did you get to hear on their final offer?

Thanks!

Hi!
My interview lasted approximately 20 minutes. It was comprised by Dr Kevin Coward, Associate Professor Christian Becker & Ms Pip Elphick. They were very friendly. In the beginning they asked me mostly about myself, what I have done so far, if I have any lab experience, and if I would like to investigate a topic, what that would be and why. Then they asked me about the legislation of IVF in my country and indications of IVF. Finally they asked me to describe the curriculum, asked me why I applied, how I heard about the programme, and if I have any questions. They replied to me one month afterwards.
Original post by ToniaS
Hi!
My interview lasted approximately 20 minutes. It was comprised by Dr Kevin Coward, Associate Professor Christian Becker & Ms Pip Elphick. They were very friendly. In the beginning they asked me mostly about myself, what I have done so far, if I have any lab experience, and if I would like to investigate a topic, what that would be and why. Then they asked me about the legislation of IVF in my country and indications of IVF. Finally they asked me to describe the curriculum, asked me why I applied, how I heard about the programme, and if I have any questions. They replied to me one month afterwards.

Thanks for taking out the time to write back Tonia! :smile:
So you've been accepted for the 2017-18 batch?
Reply 119
Original post by tanaya_nar
Thanks for taking out the time to write back Tonia! :smile:
So you've been accepted for the 2017-18 batch?

Yes, I have! I hope that we will be classmates next year! Good luck with your interview!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending