The Student Room Group

New sixth form advice please?

Hi,
I'm in Year 11. I've applied to three sixth forms (including my own school's) and I've been accepted to them all.

My teachers are encouraging me to stay on at my school, but in all honesty I've got my eyes set on another 6th form.

I really want to move, but I'm TERRIFIED (emphasis on TERRIFIED) of moving. I'm happy with my comfort zone, but I know I need to move out of it, so I think moving to a new 6th form will be good for me.

But I'm not the best at making friends. If somebody doesn't approach me first, then I won't talk to them.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE any advice on starting a new sixth form????

Thanks and sorry for the long post
(edited 7 years ago)
People are generally eager and friendly so will talk to you. Also there will probably be other people who are new to the 6th form in the same position as you they will definitely want to talk you.

Anyways to make friends you mostly just have to say hello if you aren't confident with random people then you can definitely make friends with people you sit next to.

Find common ground :smile:
Original post by SuperHuman98
People are generally eager and friendly so will talk to you. Also there will probably be other people who are new to the 6th form in the same position as you they will definitely want to talk you.

Anyways to make friends you mostly just have to say hello if you aren't confident with random people then you can definitely make friends with people you sit next to.

Find common ground :smile:

Thank you, I'll definitely take up this advice! x
Hi there, I'm an Introvert, so my advice may not be the best but i'll tell you how I made a friend.

I ended up being all alone after the only person who I knew ditched me. :colonhash:
Look for someone who is alone.
Do not approach a group of friends as they'll probably already know each other well and it will make things awkward for you and them. Unless they already know you.
Once you find someone who is alone, Say Hello and Your name (duhhh) and Find out What subjects they are doing, Which school they've come from, What Interests you have etc.
Hopefully You'll find more and more people.
Quite often, If you're sixth form isn't full of pretentious fools then A couple of people may approach you and say hi. The Teachers will often do activities in which you do form or class exercises
Gl so you get to know each other.
Original post by Bulletzone
Hi there, I'm an Introvert, so my advice may not be the best but i'll tell you how I made a friend.

I ended up being all alone after the only person who I knew ditched me. :colonhash:
Look for someone who is alone.
Do not approach a group of friends as they'll probably already know each other well and it will make things awkward for you and them. Unless they already know you.
Once you find someone who is alone, Say Hello and Your name (duhhh) and Find out What subjects they are doing, Which school they've come from, What Interests you have etc.
Hopefully You'll find more and more people.
Quite often, If you're sixth form isn't full of pretentious fools then A couple of people may approach you and say hi. The Teachers will often do activities in which you do form or class exercises
Gl so you get to know each other.

jeez, some friend. Thank you for the advice. I've asked around, it seems people don't have seating plans for sixth form (which now seems pretty obvious). do you have a seating plan for your lessons? if not, where did you sit in your lessons? who did you sit with?
Original post by RimshaM
jeez, some friend. Thank you for the advice. I've asked around, it seems people don't have seating plans for sixth form (which now seems pretty obvious). do you have a seating plan for your lessons? if not, where did you sit in your lessons? who did you sit with?

If I'm correct, You're school should place you in a few lessons with the same people on the basis that they're doing the same lessons as you so I sat near them so that they knew my presence. Let me sort of explain:

When I started D.T, I sat next to a lad who was also in the same boat as me and things just kicked off from there, he said hello and the first day was just a get to know each other day, luckily he was rather sociable so it made things very easy.

In Maths, The same Lad was in my Class so I sat near him and 2 other same people (who were also in DT) were in that class so they sat near me :redface:

In Physics, The same 3 people were in my class (From DT) so when It came to group work, They invited me to join the group and ever since then We've become great of friends and If I'm not mistaken I would say I know 87% of the Sixth form just by starting with "Hello"

Take things a step at a time, It took a week or so for people to start talking to new faces so Don't fret if things don't go well on you're first day.
Reply 6
Be smilely, and join lots of clubs. Most friendship groups re-form in the first half term, so even those staying on will likely drift. Chat with people you sit next to in classes, and join in discussions
Original post by Ghargr18
Be smilely, and join lots of clubs. Most friendship groups re-form in the first half term, so even those staying on will likely drift. Chat with people you sit next to in classes, and join in discussions

thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest