The Student Room Group

AS English Literature AQA (B) - Aspects of Tragedy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by georgiahjohnson
hey!

im studying Gatsby and Keats - does anyone have relevant critics for Keats which could fit into any given question?
I have some for Gatsby if anyone is after those :smile:

thanks!!

G x

I don't really know what you mean by critics but I'll send you my Keats&gatsby stuff if you send me yours too? :smile:
does anyone have any advice on how to write the prose essay? I'm doing Gatsby if anyone has anything in particular for that!

same goes for the poetry anthology - if anyone has any notes on it or advice on how to write it i'd be so grateful because my teacher was ill so we didn't go through it properly :eek:
Hey really struggling with DOAS and Tragedy. Has anyone been predicted an A?? Really need help with this because we haven't had a teacher for all of last year.
I haven't read Death of a Salesman but I know Willy commits suicide? Is that not an aspect of tragedy? How about for his family? That surely must be a tragedy for them?

Suicide is a huge dramatic technique for tragedy plays. Think of like that perhaps? if Willy does commit suicide, could it not be argued he is the villain for committing such an act for his family having to deal with the consequences of such an action?
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I haven't read Death of a Salesman but I know Willy commits suicide? Is that not an aspect of tragedy? How about for his family? That surely must be a tragedy for them?

Suicide is a huge dramatic technique for tragedy plays. Think of like that perhaps? if Willy does commit suicide, could it not be argued he is the villain for committing such an act for his family having to deal with the consequences of such an action?

I need help with sub claims for this essay question; " in tragedy there must be an opponent or villain who drives the action"
Original post by Sophwintsxoxo
I need help with sub claims for this essay question; " in tragedy there must be an opponent or villain who drives the action"

Is this for DSM? If so, think of who is the antithesis in the play? Who seems to aggravate the plot in a much worse way than other characters? From this standpoint, you can argue the opponent or villain in DSM.

However, that question is a little vague but if you wish to argue against that statement, it's not saying otherwise - if you're brave enough though!

You can say that Willy's own state of mind is what drives the action - his own conscience can be classed as an opponent against himself as well as others. You could even say character's consciousness is their biggest villain as they are often torn between their own feelings and thoughts. There's a bit of psychoanalysis for you!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Is this for DSM? If so, think of who is the antithesis in the play? Who seems to aggravate the plot in a much worse way than other characters? From this standpoint, you can argue the opponent or villain in DSM.

However, that question is a little vague but if you wish to argue against that statement, it's not saying otherwise - if you're brave enough though!

You can say that Willy's own state of mind is what drives the action - his own conscience can be classed as an opponent against himself as well as others. You could even say character's consciousness is their biggest villain as they are often torn between their own feelings and thoughts. There's a bit of psychoanalysis for you!

This is for Death of a salesman and Keat's poetry ( so Lamia, Eve of St Agnes, Belle dans sans merci)
Original post by Sophwintsxoxo
This is for Death of a salesman and Keat's poetry ( so Lamia, Eve of St Agnes, Belle dans sans merci)

hey, im also studying both those texts, however lacked a teacher last year - do you by any chance have any good revision notes on Keats? also, did you sit the AS exam in the summer of last year?
I'm doing Death of a Salesman, Othello, Gatsby and Keats
Reply 49
Has anyone got a list of Death of a Salesman essay questions to do?
As well as DOSM I'm doing Othello, Keats and Gatsby, so I'm happy to share notes etc with anyone who wants help
Original post by idcosta
Has anyone got a list of Death of a Salesman essay questions to do?
As well as DOSM I'm doing Othello, Keats and Gatsby, so I'm happy to share notes etc with anyone who wants help

I have a list of DOAS essay questions.. Can you please share me your notes/quote analysis on Keats? How are you revising English Lit?
Hi Guys I'm looking for an English lit revision buddy who I can share my English lit notes on King Lear, DOAS, Keats poetry. Really struggling with Lear the most, if anyone wants someone who will push them and send notes/essay plans/ analysed quotes please PM me for more details :')
Reply 52
If anyone could PM me with Keats help, I’ll trade you for a lifetime of servitude :smile:)
He hardly brought it on himself. He was a lost man consumed and spat out by the cruel capitalist society, in which the staging extending past the proscenium arch and onto the apron clearly states that we, the audience, are all cogs in this capitalist machine and thus, we are to blame. Willy is a brilliant combination of the tragic victim and hero, he is the common man, dying for his cause. In fact, in the requiem Happy is the perfect exemplification of the next common man to be polluted with the unreachable facade of the american dream. Just like Charley, our sage, states a salesman must dream. Death of a Salesman is definite modern tragedy filled with the dark reality and social strains and pressures of men in the late 1940s.
Reply 54
can someone do me a solid and pm me? I have a question. Notes would be v helpful too.
Original post by hoda13
can someone do me a solid and pm me? I have a question. Notes would be v helpful too.

does anyone have paper 1 and 2 questions for this year's AS English Literature B?
I am very late to this but I am currently doing Othello and Death of a Salesman in class and I am struggling with the aspects of tragedy? Would anyone be willing to help :')
You could argue the tragic villain is capitalism ? (If you was arguing Willy is a tragic protagonist) It would be a complex argument but interesting🤔

Quick Reply