The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Living at Dinwiddy

I shall attempt to give you an accurate account of Dinwiddy House as I have been staying here for a month now.

TRANSPORT
1) It is an 18-20 minute walk to SOAS (15-18 minutes if you don't have to stop at traffic lights and walk fast)
2) 3-5 minute walk to Kings Cross Station which you can use to get to Russell Square station then a 1 minute walk to SOAS. (This journey takes around 10-15 minutes due to lifts, ticket barriers, escalators etc) Useful when the weather is bad or you are in a rush.
3) There is also a bus which takes around 15-20 minutes but you might as well just walk

RENT
1) This is automatically taken out of your bank account after you give them your details but it is done in instalments, i.e after each student loan comes through
2) If your student loan is delayed or you face financial difficulties, if you let the staff know they can offer you an extension.(I know people who paid 2 weeks after rent was due)

FACILITIES-
1) There is a laundry service which costs £3.20 for one wash and around £2 for dryer (Can't remember exactly) It is best to wash in bulk rather than several small washes. Also you have to download an app/use laundry card to use the machines, there are no coin slots.
2)Kitchens- 2 ovens with grill each having 4 electric hobs and an electric fan. 2 small fridges and 1 freezer. Then there is a rectangle or circular table with chairs and 2 sinks with space for 1 cupboard per person and pots and pans can go in cupboards under sink.
3) Bedrooms- Decent size. Desk, WIFI modem, wardrobe with top shelf, bookshelf and 4 drawers attached to desk. Also a swivel chair. low storage under bed, mattress and mattress protector provided. 4-5 plug sockets and a telephone line socket. Electric radiator and a bin. Room sizes/layout do vary and so do kitchens so if you went on an accommodation tour don't expect that what you see is exactly what you get. (Hint- Avoid E block)
4) Bathrooms- Very small (You can swing you arms around and they almost hit the wall) It is a wet room so water just gets everywhere. Also to use the shower you need to a push a button and you have between 5 and 20 seconds before the water shuts off. (again timing depends on your individual bathroom) There is one face mirror and no full body mirror. Although if you get a disabled bathroom it is huge and has a full body mirror.
5) Receiving post- Letters automatically placed in your letterbox (which you share with your flat so around 7 people) For packages, they are first processed and labelled. When it is ready the staff will put a slip in your letterbox which you then show them and they will hand you your package after you show some photographic ID and sign for it. Sometimes packages go missing but they will appear in a few days. You can also get takeaway and groceries delivered, you just need to be sitting in reception ready to collect it.

SURROUNDING AREA-
1) Kings Cross Station- Access to whole of London
2) Several bus stops around you
3) Small sainsbury's and Co-op is a 2 minute walk and a Tesco Metro is around 4 minutes away which has a lot of products. There is also a Lidl in Camden which is a 30min walk or 10 minutes on bus. As well as a large popular sainsburys in Angel around 10 minutes away- So plenty of choice.
5)Huge choice of restaurants- Five Guys, Nandos, McDonalds, Honest Burgers etc and there is a halal meat restaurant right opposite dinwiddy
6) There is lots within walking distance and cheap bus access and tube service to pretty much all the tourist destinations

TIPS-
1) Wash in bulk
2) Avoid E and make sure you are put in a refurbished block such as B
3) If you have certain preferences for flatmates other than the obvious- All girls or mixed then Dinwiddy isn't for you because you will not know beforehand who you are sharing with. Also you can't swap rooms until after one month.
4) When you move in, you are given a sheet where you write down any problems with the room such as squeaky doors. Make sure you hand that sheet in within the first 2 days so everything is sorted ASAP.
5) Bring a mop because bathrooms can get very wet and takes ages to evaporate.

Extra-
If you don't like your flatmates etc, 4 weeks into your stay you have the option to move flats if there is availability as long as you tell reception and go on the transfer list.
If you have any complaints about fellow residents simply phone reception/visit them in person and tell them what the issue is and they will sort it. They will go down hard on anti social people (not shy people but the other kind) such as weed smokes, parties until 5am etc. If anything happens at night when reception is closed you can phone the security guard and they will sort it out.

Also if anyone wants pictures please just ask in the comments below ^_^

OVERALL-
Dinwiddy is good. It offers you what you need at an affordable price and isn't far from SOAS. Also, ignore the 2013 articles about cockroach infestations, they don't have any pests now. Dinwiddy is definitely a place for people who perhaps don't have parents who just throw money at them so although Dinwiddy doesn't look very glamorous it does the job at a good price. Obviously if you can spend more i.e 190-210+ then you may wish to move into halls that are closer to SOAS with better facilities.

I tried to include everything but if you have any more questions let me know :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
This is very helpful and answers many questions I had about Dinwiddy since that would be the place I'd try to get into should I attend SOAS so, thank you. I'm curious about rules regrading the accommodation though. Like, are posters, mini fridges etc. allowed?

Also, you said to avoid E block, can you elaborate as to why?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by 200462739264
This is very helpful and answers many questions I had about Dinwiddy since that would be the place I'd try to get into should I attend SOAS so, thank you. I'm curious about rules regrading the accommodation though. Like, are posters, mini fridges etc. allowed?

Also, you said to avoid E block, can you elaborate as to why?

In terms of E block, i'm probably being a bit dramatic and bitter. In all honesty, the only issue i have with it is the fact the kitchen is unrefurbished. I shall upload some pictures this week to show you the contrast between kitchens in E block and the other blocks. Essentially, it's like this- E block is like your grandmas kitchen with lots of old wooden cupboards and tables whereas the other blocks are straight out of IKEA. Oh and the lifts are a bit dodgy and super slow.

Rules are quite simple-
Do not smoke in your room and kitchen (There is a designated smoking area in the courtyard)
Sign all guests in and out
Do not prop open doors with fire extinguishers
That's it i think.

I have a mini-fridge and know several people who do so i don't think it is a problem if you bring one because i literally walked past several staff carrying a large box that said "Mini table fridge" and they didn't say anything. In terms of posters, yeah just bring it, be careful not to peel any paint off when you take the posters down though.
Original post by Zakriah
In terms of E block, i'm probably being a bit dramatic and bitter. In all honesty, the only issue i have with it is the fact the kitchen is unrefurbished. I shall upload some pictures this week to show you the contrast between kitchens in E block and the other blocks. Essentially, it's like this- E block is like your grandmas kitchen with lots of old wooden cupboards and tables whereas the other blocks are straight out of IKEA. Oh and the lifts are a bit dodgy and super slow.

Rules are quite simple-
Do not smoke in your room and kitchen (There is a designated smoking area in the courtyard)
Sign all guests in and out
Do not prop open doors with fire extinguishers
That's it i think.

I have a mini-fridge and know several people who do so i don't think it is a problem if you bring one because i literally walked past several staff carrying a large box that said "Mini table fridge" and they didn't say anything. In terms of posters, yeah just bring it, be careful not to peel any paint off when you take the posters down though.

Thank you for the fast reply, you've pretty much covered all the questions I wanted to ask regrading accommodation and was searching for recently. I appreciate it a lot. I understand your bitterness with the unrefurbished, I would probably feel the same way. Rules are simple enough and pictures will definitely help me make my mind up, I look forward to them.~~

SOAS is my first choice of universities and now all I have to do it wait,
Good luck with your studies and thank you once again for this post. ~~~
Reply 4
Hi,
I'm applying for international relations and development and jjust wanted to ask how the library is? I saw one post that said scholars from all over the world come to that library yet another post said its **** as books are always missing or put in the wrong place
Also, in terms of social life how's the Uni? Although I'm serious about doing well, I defwanna have a good time and party it up haha
Thanks
How easy it it to get a space at Dinwiddy if you're a not-living-in London first year? Currently in year 12 and like the look of SOAS but i worry pcking it might be rushed so i could apply and get into halls.
Reply 6
Original post by eviebrizzle
How easy it it to get a space at Dinwiddy if you're a not-living-in London first year? Currently in year 12 and like the look of SOAS but i worry pcking it might be rushed so i could apply and get into halls.

If you live outside London and a first year then you are pretty much guaranteed a place :smile:

Hi eviebrizzle,

We can't guarantee accommodation to first year students, however we do try and provide accommodation to as many students as possible and we have an accommodation adviser ([email protected]) who can provide you with information on other halls/ private options if you do not secure a place at Dinwiddy.

You can click on the following link to see the undergraduate accommodation pages on the SOAS website.

As you say priority is given to first year students coming from outside London but accommodation is also allocated on a first come first served basis and so it is best to apply as early as SOAS would need to be your firm choice in UCAS in order for you to be able to apply to accommodation.

Hope this helps.

Laura
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SOAS Student Helper
Hi eviebrizzle,

We can't guarantee accommodation to first year students, however we do try and provide accommodation to as many students as possible and we have an accommodation adviser ([email protected]) who can provide you with information on other halls/ private options if you do not secure a place at Dinwiddy.

As you say priority is given to first year students coming from outside London but accommodation is also allocated on a first come first served basis and so it is best to apply as early as SOAS would need to be your firm choice in UCAS in order for you to be able to apply to accommodation.

Hope this helps.

Laura

Thankyou, sounds like if i applied early (if i choose i'll definitely firm SOAS) i'm likely to get my first choice?! If i wanted to combine International Relations with Study of Religions is this a flexible degree structure or are there a lot of fixed modules? Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by SOAS Student Helper
Hi eviebrizzle,

Hope this helps.

Laura

Do students who have lived in London and put SOAS as their firm choice get accommodation and are coming as first year undergrads? Even if it's not Dinwiddy will I perhaps get the opportunity to live in inter-collegiate or is that as competitive with SOAS students?
Thanks
Thankyou, sounds like if i applied early (if i choose i'll definitely firm SOAS) i'm likely to get my first choice?! If i wanted to combine International Relations with Study of Religions is this a flexible degree structure or are there a lot of fixed modules? Thanks!

Hi eviebrizzle,

If you apply as soon as possible after accommodation opens, which is usually in March each year, you will give yourself the best chance of getting your first choice accommodation.

Combined degrees are less flexible than single subject degrees as you need to cover a certain number of core/compulsory modules in each of the two subjects. For a better idea of the units available in the course you can visit the BA International Relations and... page and the BA Study of Religions and... page and click on the 'structure' tab to view the modules taken.

Laura
Original post by ArianM
Do students who have lived in London and put SOAS as their firm choice get accommodation and are coming as first year undergrads? Even if it's not Dinwiddy will I perhaps get the opportunity to live in inter-collegiate or is that as competitive with SOAS students?
Thanks

Hi AdrianM,

We do prioritise students who are coming from outside London, although soon-to-be first year undergraduates living in London already are also welcome to apply to accommodation. For more information on how places are allocated I would advise you to contact the accommodation adviser at SOAS by emailing [email protected]

Intercollegiate halls do tend to be quite competitive as SOAS has 150 places in these halls per year. If you do wish to apply for intercollegiate halls you would need to do this as soon as possible.

There are also other halls options available. You can visit our undergraduate halls of residence page for further information.

Let me know if you have more questions I can help with.

Laura
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Wow how time has flown by.

Just some additional tips:
There are flat parties happening somewhere in Dinwiddy every single week, almost everyday, except during exam season, holiday season etc. You will be able to see one is taking place because all kitchen windows are visible from the courtyard and the kitchens are where people hang out.
If you are shy/want to meet a lot of people quickly, go to these parties. Even if you do not drink I would recommend going just to meet people, the chances of you being forcibly pressured to drink are very slim, you will only get "Oh go on have a sip", as long as you are firm people will stop pressuring you.
In such gatherings weed is common, again up to you if you want to take part. Many people who go to these flat parties form large friendship groups, so if you want that, go to parties.

There is also a gym right opposite Dinwiddy so you may wish to make the most of it, up to you.

Also get your doctors set up ASAP, I would recommend Gowar Street Practice because there is a walk in clinic without an appointment between 9am-11am, great for emergencies.

Last but not least, don't stress about moving into Halls. It's just about making new friends and learning to be independent. The quicker you make friends, and create a new support system away from home, the easier living away from home will be for you. And always be looking to meet new people, the last thing you want is to spend a whole month with the same group of people, because you become over reliant on them, and if the friendship dissolves it will be harder to enter other friendship groups which have formed. So spend time making lots of friends, acquaintances so you always have someone to fall back on- I cannot stress this enough. And don't be afraid to approach people, everyone is desperate to make friends, trust me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending