The Student Room Group

How to NOT copy the textbook

So I have this essay to do. However I'm struggling as I just keep copying stuff from the textbook. (Obviously it's referenced.) Theres just not many of my own words. I'm really stuck and I've left it last minute as well. Any tips?
run every single word through a thesaurus and in no time u will have the most interesting sounding essay
change the sentence structure
e.g Hitler became chancellor in 1933 and completed his ascent to power
becomes
and in 1933, hitlers ascent to power was complete as hed become chancellor
Original post by gabriellakhan
So I have this essay to do. However I'm struggling as I just keep copying stuff from the textbook. (Obviously it's referenced.) Theres just not many of my own words. I'm really stuck and I've left it last minute as well. Any tips?

Make notes in your own words, and base your essay from those notes. When taking notes from a book, read a paragraph or section which summaries the idea or argument you need, then close the textbook and summarise what you've just read in your own words. Resist the temptation to open the book whilst you're doing this 'just to check'.

This is a really difficult skill at first, but stick with it - it will pay dividends, And you'll be able to cure that problem of copying out of textbooks when writing essays etc.
Original post by CornOnTheJa-cob
run every single word through a thesaurus and in no time u will have the most interesting sounding essay

Yeah but I wouldn't get away with that. It'll still be like where did you get all that from.
Original post by Reality Check
Make notes in your own words, and base your essay from those notes. When taking notes from a book, read a paragraph or section which summaries the idea or argument you need, then close the textbook and summarise what you've just read in your own words. Resist the temptation to open the book whilst you're doing this 'just to check'.

This is a really difficult skill at first, but stick with it - it will pay dividends, And you'll be able to cure that problem of copying out of textbooks when writing essays etc.

Thanks so much I'm going to try and do this. It is really difficult I agree. It's annoyingly because I've just been copying everything. I wouldn't get done for plagiarism because I referenced it but I really wouldn't get a good mark. I'm going to try and start over and do it. Thanks a lot again for your advice. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by CornOnTheJa-cob

This is how people get caught.
Thanks so much I'm going to try and do this. It is really difficult I agree. It's annoyingly because I've just been copying everything. I wouldn't get done for plagiarism because I referenced it but I really wouldn't get a good mark. I'm going to try and start over and do it. Thanks a lot again for your advice. :biggrin:

You're welcome. And it is a difficult skill, so don't be disheartened if you find it really difficult to begin with. Stick with it, and it'll become easier. It's a crucial academic skill to learn, so always best to learn it earlier rather than later!

Best of luck with it.
Original post by UWS
This is how people get caught.

:.(

use tons of synonyms
rewrite things more simply, cut out waffle
combine different source material from other books, internet sites etc
Original post by ForestShadow
use tons of synonyms
rewrite things more simply, cut out waffle
combine different source material from other books, internet sites etc

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending