The Student Room Group

Should women be allowed to play in the same football team as men?

Poll

Should women be allowed to play in the same football team as men?

What do people think? I'm doing a project on it. Come on girls...where's the support!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No, because the women will cry when they get tackled obviiii!!!
(and cry sexism when the referee says they're offside)
(edited 7 years ago)
No, they're not good enough.
Reply 3
I don't like football, but I can clearly see that some women players are better than most male players.
Have you seen how the matches turned out between professional women's teams and under 14s/under 15s boys teams?
They shouldn't be prevented as such, but I can't see a lot of semi-pro and pro male footballers actually wanting to play in a mixed team.
Reply 6
Yeh but do you think it would be a fair game? If not why not?
Reply 7
Maybe they would if the FA allowed it. Atm it's not allowed after the age of 16
Reply 8
Original post by Awesome-o
Have you seen how the matches turned out between professional women's teams and under 14s/under 15s boys teams?

No what happened?
Reply 9
I was playing basketball with boys a lot when I was a kid. Except for the physical contact I was as good as them. I guess it's the same with football.
I think with softer rules (like the women football rules) it should be fair. I think within a few years women will be much better in football (with practice and proper training).

I don't see why not playing mixed teams in the amateur levels.
Nothing wrong with allowing it. Obviously men have an advantage like they do in any sport but if a woman is good enough, why not? Women are not good enough to make it to a professional standard though.

There would be no point in enforcing a mixed team like a mixed doubles tennis match. There would be no appetite for it commercially and at amateur level, men want to play against men and women want to play against women.
Original post by ALI-CAT
No what happened?

I can answer this. There have been many occasions where World Cup class womens' teams have been utterly THRASHED by non-professional under 18s boys football teams.
Reply 12
Ha no. Men and women are different, period. We have different styles of play, different strengths and weaknesses, different ways of handling events, etc. It's also those differences that make people more supportive of male football hence the higher revenues and salaries
Reply 13
Ok they got thrashed, but that was an all womens team v an all male team. If the teams were mixed gender, that would have been fairer.
Original post by ALI-CAT
No what happened?

They essentially get hammered. There was a recent one of the Australian women's team getting done by an under 15s team.
Reply 15
Women's football matches pulled bigger crowds than most men's games once. Before the FA banned it sayin it was quite unsuitable for females
Reply 16
Then its all about the money and the not the ability
Original post by ALI-CAT
Ok they got thrashed, but that was an all womens team v an all male team. If the teams were mixed gender, that would have been fairer.

If you allowed mix gendered teams, women from world cup and top league teams would have to play in non-professional leagues to even stand a chance of staying in the team. Also, it was under 15s vs the womens' world cup team. So we should also start mixing over 18s and under 18s now? We should start mixing professionals and non professionals?

If mixed teams were allowed, women would basically disappear from football. It would not be good for them.
Reply 18
Thats a good point. I think I'm with you on that one
Reply 19
But what if the teams were mixed - forget age, just matched ability?

Quick Reply

Latest