The Student Room Group

Should women be allowed to play in the same football team as men?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ALI-CAT
But what if the teams were mixed - forget age, just matched ability?

The gulf in quality between the top male footballers and female footballers as well as numbers is too much to close down in my opinion.

I'm not saying that female footballers are terrible but football is also a very much physical sport (not as physical as rugby) and even with the diving culture that has been growing in the game, it plays way too big of a role.

Compare the consistency of passes, the difference in how space is utilised, the power of shots and more bits and bobs - you'll see huge differences especially with the national teams.
Original post by ALI-CAT
What do people think? I'm doing a project on it. Come on girls...where's the support!!

I had a girl on my team (I left the team when I moved at 13 so don't know how long she stayed). She was one of our toughest players and our second best goalie.
Reply 22
Women in the team could stop that diving culture tho
There's​ a reason behind male and female being separated. This is because it would be unfair to women if they had to compete against other men.
Men (generally) have the physical advantage and I think it would be unsafe.
Reply 24
Players would behave better in a mixed team
Reply 25
and less injuries with women in the team i think
Original post by ALI-CAT
But what if the teams were mixed - forget age, just matched ability?

Generally it comes down to men/women teams not having as much cohesion. Many armed forces don't allow mixed squads because the men and women simply don't communicate that well and it would endanger lives.

Also, my former point still stands that most women would likely have to drop into obscure leagues to still compete, which would pretty much destroy all top women footballers' careers.
Reply 27
Reply 28
Less injuries with women in the same team as men
Original post by ALI-CAT
What do people think? I'm doing a project on it. Come on girls...where's the support!!

TL;DR: no

Let's put it this way:

When I was younger, girls played with us, one was especially good, and to this day I'd say she's more skilled than I. But as we grew up it sorta stopped, because any game where we'd play mixed it just wouldn't be fun. Why?

Boys wouldn't "want" to fully tackle a girl.
Boys would only pass to the girl when it was out of pity. (To include her after 10 mins pass without her basically touching it).

And in the few rare occasions the guys played fully on, things got awkward, wardrobe malfunctions, kicks in the groin, touching breasts by accident and then they'd get offended etc.

So I'd lean more towards no, in adult pro games anyway.
What's wrong with the current layout, male vs male & female vs female?
Reply 31
Obviously not, it would be ridiculous
Original post by zayn008
Ha no. Men and women are different, period. We have different styles of play, different strengths and weaknesses, different ways of handling events, etc. It's also those differences that make people more supportive of male football hence the higher revenues and salaries

Stop being so polite.

Men are better at football. /thread
Reply 33
Original post by Cherub012
Stop being so polite.

Men are better at football. /thread

Yes and men are also better at most things, but we can't say that in this feminist environment.
Original post by ALI-CAT
Ok they got thrashed, but that was an all womens team v an all male team. If the teams were mixed gender, that would have been fairer.

Whats the point of this?

All male pro team VS mixed pro team
Mixed pro team gets thrashed? Cause the woman play like non pro boys of 17?
Original post by slade p
Yes and men are also better at most things, but we can't say that in this feminist environment.

By most things you mean sports?
Original post by ALI-CAT
Less injuries with women in the same team as men

No untrue, If you are playing for the world cup, first of all women wouldnt make the team.
Imagine England decides '' mixed team'' and plays against brazil with full man team. I'm pretty sure england doesnt stand a chance as brazil was just smarter in picking a team.

But lets say everyone has to play a mixed team. Even then everyone would go full in for the goals, no holding back. You want to be the reason your team lost the world cup? dont think so.
Reply 38
Yes, why not? :smile:
Original post by cbreef
By most things you mean sports?

Also gaming I guess.
I remember people speaking of a girl team for League of Legends consisting of some of the best world class females, they got thrashed by the worst teams in the league.
They even got thrashed by non pro teams quite a bit I believe.

I believe only 1 girl played in a pro team for a bit, but that didnt fully count In my opinion, as she was transgender, AKA born as a guy
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest