The Student Room Group

Should women be allowed to play in the same football team as men?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zayn008
Hmmm liberals won't get into government any time soon and I don't think I've ever felt negative towards any Labour legislation or policies since joining. From what I've heard from Ray, he believes in much the same as me, although In some aspects they are to the left of me but I know that since I'm pretty much from the centre of the party which is great because Ray and his government are centre left.

Your party seems to be taking a political stance only seen when Blair wiped out the UK conservatives in 1997?

Also in terms of social policy and economic policy I do differ so thanks but no thanks :tongue:

I would argue they are far to the left of you. Ray is far further to left to you.
You are a blairite. You said you support elements of neoliberalism and neo Keynesianism.
What makes you say the liberals won't go into government?

TSR one , how so??

How do you differ? You beliefs overlap with some of mine , haha.
I think there are some sports that should have mixed teams that don't have them now, but football is not one of them. Olympic swimming relays or athletic relays could have two women and two men for example.
Original post by cbreef
You should've stopped there. Most male professionals are better than almost all female professionals, end of.
I'd love to see Germany men v USA women, if they can beat Brazil 7-1 then god knows what they'd do to a women's team.

Are you some kind of football fanboy and you somehow found what I said insulting? What I said is what I believe to be true, whether you agree or not is up to you.

Original post by Wilfred Little
This is some attempt at making some grand statement that women can be just as good as men and we're all equal but this is just not true in sport.

Which female players are you referring to? When top level females have played against males they've been trounced every time.

I think women should be allowed to play in the same teams as men. I'm not sure there is even anything against it happening, the reason we have the Women's World Cup and separate women's teams is because women simply cannot get into the first teams of nations and clubs.

I simply made the statement that some women players are better then most male players. If you take the top 5 female players, you can almost be sure that they are as good as 70% of male players. This is an estimate and by no means an actual figure.
Original post by David B
I simply made the statement that some women players are better then most male players. If you take the top 5 female players, you can almost be sure that they are as good as 70% of male players. This is an estimate and by no means an actual figure.

Based on what exactly? Got anything to back it up?

Do you even know who the top five female players are?
Based on what exactly? Got anything to back it up?

Do you even know who the top five female players are?

Observation. Oh yeah I record every match so maybe just maybe I can use it as evidence for a situation like this. As I stated in my very first message, I don't like football. But that doesn't mean I haven't watched it before, both women and mens. As I have already stated this is only my opinion. Why are you taking it so seriously, like I'm somehow offending you? :K:
Reply 65
Original post by David B
Are you some kind of football fanboy and you somehow found what I said insulting? What I said is what I believe to be true, whether you agree or not is up to you.

What do you mean by players? If you're including anyone who plays football, you're probably right, but presumably you mean professional players in which case there's no way. If they were in the top 30% of pros that would place them around Championship level (the second highest in the country) which is obviously not the case.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by L'absurde
No, because the women will cry when they get tackled obviiii!!!
(and cry sexism when the referee says they're offside)

i mean football is a pussies game anyway
no tackling no contact no fun
Original post by difeo
What do you mean by players? If you're including anyone who plays football, you're probably right, but if you mean professional players there's no way. If they were in the top 30% of pros that would place them around Championship level (the second highest in the country) which is obviously not the case.

Look at it from this point of view. Take literally the best 5 female players (I do not know who these are). Do you agree that they (those 5 players) are better then the majority of male players? Obviously in any sport you will have those who are standard and those who are exceptional. What my opinion is, is that I believe those 5 exceptional female players are better then the male standard players or if so the majority of them.
Original post by David B
Observation. Oh yeah I record every match so maybe just maybe I can use it as evidence for a situation like this. As I stated in my very first message, I don't like football. But that doesn't mean I haven't watched it before, both women and mens. As I have already stated this is only my opinion. Why are you taking it so seriously, like I'm somehow offending you? :K:

Nothing to back it up then. No examples.

Original post by difeo
What do you mean by players? If you're including anyone who plays football, you're probably right, but presumably you mean professional players in which case there's no way. If they were in the top 30% of pros that would place them around Championship level (the second highest in the country) which is obviously not the case.

It's just his opinion m8.
Reply 69
Original post by fleky6910
I would argue they are far to the left of you. Ray is far further to left to you.
You are a blairite. You said you support elements of neoliberalism and neo Keynesianism.
What makes you say the liberals won't go into government?

TSR one , how so??

How do you differ? You beliefs overlap with some of mine , haha.

Clearly im not a huge fan of neoliberalism if I support the government having more public ownership, im also not a huge fan of globalisation. I think the period of Neoliberalism from Thatcher to Blair was good but I think it's time someone put the breaks on - out of shock it was the conservatives to do so!

The more I read into Blair the more criticism I seem to draw towards him. I think it's fair to say much of his success was due to the economy driving forwards without bumps, in terms of education, crime, and social policy I'd say I fully agreed with Blair. But as I look at the failures of PFIs, the housing bubble, open immigration, income inequality, build up to 2008 and many more things, I'm more sceptical. I would position myself as a brownite but with most of what I said happening under his time as chancellor, I can't until I look into it more.

I don't see much activity from the liberals on TSR, and the actual party is just a joke/3rd voice which everyone currently seems to be writing off.

I guess if Ray is further to the left, maybe I've mispotioned myself since I agree with him on almost every policy - and that's without whipping :tongue:
Nothing to back it up then. No examples.

I can tell you are one of those diehard football fans. Literally football is all thats on your mind. Give me an example then to prove your 'opinion'.
Original post by zayn008
Clearly im not a huge fan of neoliberalism if I support the government having more public ownership, im also not a huge fan of globalisation. I think the period of Neoliberalism from Thatcher to Blair was good but I think it's time someone put the breaks on - out of shock it was the conservatives to do so!

The more I read into Blair the more criticism I seem to draw towards him. I think it's fair to say much of his success was due to the economy driving forwards without bumps, in terms of education, crime, and social policy I'd say I fully agreed with Blair. But as I look at the failures of PFIs, the housing bubble, open immigration, income inequality, build up to 2008 and many more things, I'm more sceptical. I would position myself as a brownite but with most of what I said happening under his time as chancellor, I can't until I look into it more.

I don't see much activity from the liberals on TSR, and the actual party is just a joke/3rd voice which everyone currently seems to be writing off.

I guess if Ray is further to the left, maybe I've mispotioned myself since I agree with him on almost every policy - and that's without whipping :tongue:

Blairs success was down to Major and Clarke's budget.
Clinton mixed with hydraulic keynesianism caused 08.
Like most leftists your only bothered about gap not the poor.
As Thatcher said you would rather the poor were poorer provided the rich were less rich.
Lets just say I have different views to you:biggrin:.
Very different indeed.
I am sure you hate me and look forward to your opposition when I am in government:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by David B
I can tell you are one of those diehard football fans. Literally football is all thats on your mind. Give me an example then to prove your 'opinion'.

An example of what? I said in sport that they're not equal to men. Examples? Look at Olympic records.

What's with the personal attacks :biggrin:? When you need to do that you've lost mate.
Reply 73
Original post by David B
Look at it from this point of view. Take literally the best 5 female players (I do not know who these are). Do you agree that they (those 5 players) are better then the majority of male players? Obviously in any sport you will have those who are standard and those who are exceptional. What my opinion is, is that I believe those 5 exceptional female players are better then the male standard players or if so the majority of them.

No I don't agree, you're just assuming this is the case because it sounds crazy for even the best women to be so bad compared to men, but that's how it is. The physical differences are too big, put those top women in a Championship game with men and they'd be useless. This is pretty obvious from watching the two sexes play, but for more concrete examples there's these: 1 2
Obviously the nature of football means you can't directly compare individual players that well, in which case you have to look at individual sports such as tennis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis) The men won 2 out of 3, with the one win for the women being the dominant world number 1 against a 55 year old, and it was a close game. Different sport but I think it makes the point.
(edited 7 years ago)
An example of what? I said in sport that they're not equal to men. Examples? Look at Olympic records.

What's with the personal attacks :biggrin:? When you need to do that you've lost mate.

I've lost? This isn't a matter of winning or losing. I simply stated my opinion which you can't accept. Even though my opinion is an opinion and not factual. And we are talking about football not the Olympics.
So tell me, if we referred to male and female players as a whole. Do you think that any females could place in the top 1000th? I think that the best women players could.
Original post by difeo
No I don't agree, you're just assuming this is the case because it sounds crazy for even the best women to be so bad compared to men, but that's how it is. The physical differences are too big, put those top women in a Championship game with men and they'd be useless. This is pretty obvious from watching the two sexes play, but for more concrete examples there's these: 1 2
Obviously the nature of football means you can't directly compare individual players that well, in which case you have to look at individual sports such as tennis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis) The men won 2 out of 3, with the one win for the women being the dominant world number 1 against a 55 year old, and it was a close game. Different sport but I think it makes the point.

I like how you used examples. You were quite informative putting your point across and i commend you for that. It's just my opinion. It has always been my opinion right from the beginning. You have to take into account that not all males are going to be better than females. Females in my opinion can be as good as males.
Original post by David B
I've lost? This isn't a matter of winning or losing. I simply stated my opinion which you can't accept. Even though my opinion is an opinion and not factual. And we are talking about football not the Olympics.

I stated one opinion, that men and women are not equal in sport, so that is the only one you can ask me to back up with examples.

So tell me, if we referred to male and female players as a whole. Do you think that any females could place in the top 1000th? I think that the best women players could.

No.

20 teams in the Premier League. Let's say they each have a squad of 30 players (it's give or take but for the sake of this we will go with 30 as it's about that).

That's six hundred players. Now take into account the top divisions in Italy, Spain, Germany, France and Portugal. Using the same estimates that takes it to 3,600 players in those divisions combined. Cut it down to one thousand and you're essentially saying the top female players are good enough to play for a top 8 side (again this is an estimate, teams higher up having the better players) in any of those leagues.

Do you believe this?
Also @David B I rarely watch football.
I stated one opinion, that men and women are not equal in sport, so that is the only one you can ask me to back up with examples.

No.

20 teams in the Premier League. Let's say they each have a squad of 30 players (it's give or take but for the sake of this we will go with 30 as it's about that).

That's six hundred players. Now take into account the top divisions in Italy, Spain, Germany, France and Portugal. Using the same estimates that takes it to 3,600 players in those divisions combined. Cut it down to one thousand and you're essentially saying the top female players are good enough to play for a top 8 side (again this is an estimate, teams higher up having the better players) in any of those leagues.

Do you believe this?

Okay I shall rephrase my question. Top 1000 players from the bottom teams of each devision. Take the premier league for an example. Do you think any female player can be as good as any single player within the premier league. Literally any player. Even from a team from the bottom of the devision.
Original post by David B
I like how you used examples. You were quite informative putting your point across and i commend you for that. It's just my opinion. It has always been my opinion right from the beginning. You have to take into account that not all males are going to be better than females. Females in my opinion can be as good as males.

I can have the opinion that I personally am the greatest footballer to ever live.

Doesn't mean that I am not totally wrong and an idiot for thinking so.

Quick Reply

Latest