The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Received an offer 1-2 months ago and was told I would have to take another English test, despite having successfully passed both CAE/CPE, a Masters degree from a UK university and work experience in England. Very unprofessional behaviour from admissions and a clear sign that the university is unable to correctly assess an application and determine appropriate conditions for entry. Strongly thinking about declining the offer at this point, apparently the university has been going downhill
Original post by JonaCo
Received an offer 1-2 months ago and was told I would have to take another English test, despite having successfully passed both CAE/CPE, a Masters degree from a UK university and work experience in England. Very unprofessional behaviour from admissions and a clear sign that the university is unable to correctly assess an application and determine appropriate conditions for entry. Strongly thinking about declining the offer at this point, apparently the university has been going downhill

Sorry to hear that, sounds like a bit of a pain!

But also (bolded)...

:confused:
Reply 1942
Original post by JonaCo

Postgrad offer?

Well, if you think Cambridge is going downhill you don't have to accept the offer...
Guys I am having to fill out the disability form in the next few days, and I was just having a look before I do it properly with my Dad and all of the necessary documentation, there is an option for 'practicals' (obviously) and any adjustments a student may need to help them with practicals. Since I am doing History, however, which isn't lab-based obviously, do I still need to fill that bit out or? :P

EDIT: My very weird and complex medical condition has also impacted on my ability to write. I mean I can write but it takes me longer, and by longer I mean a small paragraph takes me an hour, but I can type a page and a half in 30 minutes if I know what I am writing about. I sat through a test so there is some form of 'proof' by my student support department, which allows me to use my laptop in internal assessments and a school computer during examinations. I don't think there's much from doctors' though because they always tend to focus on my mobility struggles. Should I just send what I have got?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1944
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Guys I am having to fill out the disability form in the next few days, and I was just having a look before I do it properly with my Dad and all of the necessary documentation, there is an option for 'practicals' (obviously) and any adjustments a student may need to help them with practicals. Since I am doing History, however, which isn't lab-based obviously, do I still need to fill that bit out or? :P

Yeah, you don't have practicals or labs, but do historians have "field trips" or similar perhaps?

I suggest asking Dr Spencer or your DoS... :wink:
Original post by Doonesbury
Yeah, you don't have practicals or labs, but do historians have "field trips" or similar perhaps?

I suggest asking Dr Spencer or your DoS... :wink:

Haha is he online these days? Think I could just send him a TSR PM? :lol:
Reply 1946
Haha is he online these days? Think I could just send him a TSR PM? :lol:

I think an email to the admissions dept would be perfectly fine :smile:
Has anyone else set their college as their phone lock screen? I'm trying to use it to motivate me but I just end up gawping at how nice Selwyn is instead of working 😂
I think an email to the admissions dept would be perfectly fine :smile:

Just to Medwards or to the Uni itself lol?
Reply 1949
Just to Medwards or to the Uni itself lol?

Medwards. They are always your primary point of contact.
Medwards. They are always your primary point of contact.

Woo okay thank you :biggrin:

I shall do it tomorrow :')
Original post by Steliata
Has anyone else set their college as their phone lock screen? I'm trying to use it to motivate me but I just end up gawping at how nice Selwyn is instead of working 😂

No my background is currently my favourite band! :tongue: I do have a picture of Kings on my wardrobe that someone randomly gave me, and a sticker I got from the open day to keep me motivated.

Think I'm having brain fry again though :P
No my background is currently my favourite band! :tongue: I do have a picture of Kings on my wardrobe that someone randomly gave me, and a sticker I got from the open day to keep me motivated.

Think I'm having brain fry again though :P

Can I has the picture :biggrin:
Original post by NeverLucky
Can I has the picture :biggrin:

You'll have to come to Durham :wink:)
You'll have to come to Durham :wink:)

I've actually been to Durham a couple of times in the last few months :lol: the nightlife isn't that good :/
How do I address the admissions department? "To whom it may concern" orr is that too formal lol
How do I address the admissions department? "To whom it may concern" orr is that too formal lol

How about 'Dear Admissions' if you don't know the name of the admissions secretary/coordinator, or just 'Dear [name]' if you do?
Reply 1957

Original post by Forecast
How about 'Dear Admissions' if you don't know the name of the admissions secretary/coordinator, or just 'Dear [name]' if you do?

Yup - don't you have a named contact - i.e. the administrator not Dr Spencer? Falling that, "Dear Admissions" is absolutely fine.

Edit to add: Kate Morton - Dear Ms Morton.
https://www.murrayedwards.cam.ac.uk/staff-contact-details
(edited 7 years ago)
Yup - don't you have a named contact - i.e. the administrator not Dr Spencer? Falling that, "Dear Admissions" is absolutely fine.

Edit to add: Kate Morton - Dear Ms Morton.
https://www.murrayedwards.cam.ac.uk/staff-contact-details

I'll do that! Thanks haha. Establishing the correct level of formality is not my strong point.
I'll do that! Thanks haha. Establishing the correct level of formality is not my strong point.

Not mine either.
U heard of clement mouhot. I got roasted by that bludclart

Latest

Trending

Trending