The Student Room Group

Who's into pop punk here?

Hey! I was just wondering if there's anyone on here's who's into pop punk? So bands like the story so far knuckle puck,neck deep and the like? Going by my profile picture you can probably guess what my fave band is 😉

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I like Green Day, does that count?
Original post by zayn008
I like Green Day, does that count?

That's punk rock.
Reply 3
Original post by Vikingninja
That's punk rock.

Blink-182?
What's the difference?…
Original post by zayn008
Blink-182?
What's the difference?…

One involves pop the other involves rock.
Original post by CL1998
Hey! I was just wondering if there's anyone on here's who's into pop punk? So bands like the story so far knuckle puck,neck deep and the like? Going by my profile picture you can probably guess what my fave band is 😉

yes my username is a rapper but I love pop punk too !!1!
Reply 6

Aw well I'm not really into rappers so I didn't realise that lol 😂 What bands do you listen to then?! And go to gigs much?
Reply 7

A google search tells me pop punk is a combination of Punk Rock and pop, considering around their time pop was heavily influenced by rock I think it's fair to label them pop punk
Reply 8
Original post by zayn008
A google search tells me pop punk is a combination of Punk Rock and pop, considering around their time pop was heavily influenced by rock I think it's fair to label them pop punk

Honestly I'd label them pop punk as well. Pop punk is such a wide encompassing genre these days and has took influence from a ton of other genres.
Original post by zayn008

Punk pop is punk rock but is aimed towards a general audience hence why pop is in the name. I definitely wouldn't say green day is that. Paramore is an example of a punk rock band but their last album was pop punk, I didn't like the newer stuff as much since there was a considerable difference in style.
Reply 10
Original post by CL1998
Honestly I'd label them pop punk as well. Pop punk is such a wide encompassing genre these days and has took influence from a ton of other genres.

Yeah I think when people talk about pop they forget that it's not a fixed genre, it's like a general term.. I never got my head around it until I realised it constantly evolves and takes influence from other genres, e.g pop from the 1980s is actually a different genre to pop today, but they're linked by being the popular/common music at the time

I do enjoy pop punk, I actually have some other artists like Simple Plan and a day to remember but I listen to them as more of a nostalgic thing, for me pop punk/punk rock just brings back the 2000's.
Reply 11
Punk pop is punk rock but is aimed towards a general audience hence why pop is in the name. I definitely wouldn't say green day is that. Paramore is an example of a punk rock band but their last album was pop punk, I didn't like the newer stuff as much since there was a considerable difference in style.

Green day is arguably one of the bands that made punk rock mainstream??… surely that means they targeted a general appeal/audience
Original post by CL1998
Aw well I'm not really into rappers so I didn't realise that lol 😂 What bands do you listen to then?! And go to gigs much?

its ok I listen to rap indie and pop punk so its a random combination 😂
SO MANY BANDS ah this will be long...
neck deep, tssf, moose blood (my loves), the front bottoms, the wonder years, the 1975, the neighbourhood, jaws, swim deep, citizen, turnover, the magic gang, ymas, pvris, state champs, mobo, lower than atlantis, circa waves, rat boy, knuckle puck, real friends
yah i used to go a lot but haven't been to any this year bc gcse's :frown:
Original post by zayn008
Green day is arguably one of the bands that made punk rock mainstream??…

Rock is a genre and punk rock is a sub genre so appeals to their own groups. Pop music is a genre that aims to appeal to people in general rather than those with specific tastes. I wouldn't consider green day under that, they became popular but doesn't mean they aim towards the general public.
Reply 14
Original post by childishgambin0
its ok I listen to rap indie and pop punk so its a random combination 😂
SO MANY BANDS ah this will be long...
neck deep, tssf, moose blood (my loves), the front bottoms, the wonder years, the 1975, the neighbourhood, jaws, swim deep, citizen, turnover, the magic gang, ymas, pvris, state champs, mobo, lower than atlantis, circa waves, rat boy, knuckle puck, real friends
yah i used to go a lot but haven't been to any this year bc gcse's :frown:

I've listened to basically every band on this list! Your music tastes are fab! But not a fan of mooseblood anymore after the recent allegations... they are such a good band though! I've seen neck deep 5 times,tssf 3,moose blood twice,wonder years 4 times,citizen 2,knuckle puck like 5 and I'm seeing real friends for the first time on the 11th (seen most the others too but can't be asked listing them
Reply 15
Rock is a genre and punk rock is a sub genre so appeals to their own groups. Pop music is a genre that aims to appeal to people in general rather than those with specific tastes. I wouldn't consider green day under that, they became popular but doesn't mean they aim towards the general public.

I added onto my original response to relate it to what you said, must've been a minute too late

Green day is arguably one of the bands that made punk rock mainstream??… surely that means they targeted a general appeal/audience

Also green day did aim towards the general public and it's probably one of their biggest criticisms for becoming too pop.
Original post by zayn008
I added onto my original response to relate it to what you said, must've been a minute too late

Also green day did aim towards the general public and it's probably one of their biggest criticisms for becoming too pop.

Greenday is popular but they aren't aimed at majority of people. There is a large fan following in the rock genre so yes they will be popular, they aren't at those outside of the rock following.
I am, but not traditional pop punk bands.

Alkaline trio anyone? Menzingers? Red City Radio, American steel, Against Me, Dead to Me, The Mixtapes, No Use for Name, Off with their heads, Hot Water Music, Living End, Swinging Utters, Anti Flag, Flatliners, Banner Pilot, Nothington, Lawrence Arms?

Do any of these even qualify as 'pop punk'? They sound quite similar and would fall into the punk category but obvs not the traditional punk category.

Maybe contemporary punk? I don't know.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CL1998
I've listened to basically every band on this list! Your music tastes are fab! But not a fan of mooseblood anymore after the recent allegations... they are such a good band though! I've seen neck deep 5 times,tssf 3,moose blood twice,wonder years 4 times,citizen 2,knuckle puck like 5 and I'm seeing real friends for the first time on the 11th (seen most the others too but can't be asked listing them

ah ur music taste is sick too!! i've seen most of them too (but not all). shocking to think i've watched moose blood 9 times lmao.
the glenn allegations were rlly bad like he did need to leave, its just sad cos he was such a good drummer n let himself down. haven't seen any proper proof against eddy yet ??
have fun @ real friends !
Intrinsically, other people have mentioned Knuckle Puck, which I was going suggest myself; they are very good! There is another pop-punk band that I listen to, called 'Bad Luck', however - they have now changed their name to 'Dominick Fox & The High Heels' (although they haven't released any new music under the new name, yet, as far as I know). If you search on Youtube for songs under 'Bad Luck band', you should find quite a few songs/videos. However, my personal favourite songs by this band, and those that I would certainly recommend you have a listen to, would be as follows:

[video="youtube;MetS78BH4cY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MetS78BH4cY[/video]

:tea:

Quick Reply

Latest