The Student Room Group

Taj Lifts

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Good times, callous should heal fast.
Reply 81
24/03/17

Really struggling to rest. I literally have nothing better to do than train...

Back Squat:
60kg 5x5

Deadlift:
60kg x5
90kg x5

Played badminton with my coursemates for a bit straight after training but forgot to take off my weightlifting shoes (the courts are just downstairs from the gym), so like the dickhead I am I ran after the shuttlecock (not even during a rally) and rolled my ankle. Heard some cracking and it hurt for a bit, but I managed to walk it off luckily. Shoutout to my dorsiflexion.

Then played basketball, literally put up shots for an hour straight.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 82
Update:

The ankle situation is worse than expected, although it was seemingly fine an hour ago the same cannot be said at the moment. I can just about limp but thats it, the ankle is swollen af and quite painful. Taped a bag of vegetable to it so hopefully the swelling will go down soon.

Not too sure how this will affect my training. I should be good for upperbody as soon as I can walk freely but squats might have to be sacrificed for a while...
It'll be > a week before you can lower body lift again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by Angry cucumber
It'll be > a week before you can lower body lift again

Posted from TSR Mobile

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I'm such an idiot ffs

Of all ways to injure myself. Hopefully it isn't more than 2 weeks. On the plus side I can work on my poverty bench
Reply 85
Original post by TajwarC
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I'm such an idiot ffs

Of all ways to injure myself. Hopefully it isn't more than 2 weeks. On the plus side I can work on my poverty bench

It's always the weird ones, when I hurt my shoulder it was mostly because I slept funny after a workout where it was only niggling. But I was so asleep I had no idea how much pain my sleeping position was causing before I was awake and it was too late by then :rofl:
Original post by Sae.HH
It's always the weird ones, when I hurt my shoulder it was mostly because I slept funny after a workout where it was only niggling. But I was so asleep I had no idea how much pain my sleeping position was causing before I was awake and it was too late by then :rofl:

sleep can f the shoulders more than an unretracted bench press :colone:
Reply 87
27/03/2017

Ankle is feeling better, can walk without a limp but its still bruised up. Still won't be able to hit lower body for at least 2-3 days so I did a proper gym bro workout today. Tbh its kinda funny the more I think about it. What a stupid way to get injured.

Also back at the gym in London which means a) won't have to ever really wait for a rack b) we have actual benches c) we have proper equipment for accessory work and unfortunately d) no olympic bars at most times during the week. Some decent bars regardless so I shouldn't snap up my wrists while front squatting or doing snatch and clean pulls.

Bench:
50kg x5
55kg x5
57.5kg x5
60kg x5 (matches all time PR)
65kg x1 (faulty spot on second rep, got help before I needed it but I'm not sure if I would have got it anyway.)
50kg x8
50kg x6

Just realised how much a lift-off can help. This combined with benching on an actual bench means it's not as poverty as I thought it was (still needs work though). The set at 60kg was the easiest because I got the lift off imo.

Accessory work included lateral raises, tricep pushdowns (single and both arms) and cable curls.
(edited 7 years ago)
Give it another week
Reply 89
Original post by TajwarC

Just realised how much a lift-off can help. This combined with benching on an actual bench means it's not as poverty as I thought it was (still needs work though). The set at 60kg was the easiest because I got the lift off imo.

Accessory work included lateral raises, tricep pushdowns (single and both arms) and cable curls.

Same, the help when going for max weights is unreal. Definitely worth getting a lift off whenever possible past 80% TM I'd say

Also agree with AC, let it fully heal, cousin tried to go straight back into squatting heavy and ****ed his ankle up immediately again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Angry cucumber
Give it another week

You're probably right actually. I have a history of making injures worse than they need to be...I feel like this extra rest (lower body) is benefiting me more than deloading by itself would have.

Training upper body didn't cause any problems so at least I can do something in the mean time
Reply 91
28/03/2017
Ngl I have missed doing lots of accessory work, e.g. getting a pump but it does get boring (hence why I do weightlifting these days). Ankle is still a bit bruised, managed to stretch it a little today.

Bench:
40kg x8
47.5kg 5x8
40kg x12

Accessories: Lat pulldowns (over/under grips), cable curls, variation of facepull (pull to chest)
Reply 92
31/03/2017

1 whole week without squats or pulls...Withdrawal symptoms kicking in...

Bench:
50kg x5
55kg x5
60kg x6 **
65kg x3 (all time PR)

**Strange set, really should have explained to the guy beforehand not to touch the bar but I don't even know if he was actually helping. My hamstring also cramped mid set. Different spotter for the set at 65kg who didn't touch the bar at all after the lift off.

Did some squats with the empty barbell, couldn't help it. Everything on the inside of my ankle feels good, can walk/jog/jump without too many issues. Only hurts a bit when I wear shoes because they apply pressure to the bruising on the surface. Rip my mobility though, haven't been able to stretch properly.

Accessories: Tricep pushdowns, dumbell curls, lateral raises
Reply 93
Original post by TajwarC
X

Just because you can't C&J or snatch make sure you get some general back work in :smile: Rows and Pull Ups.
Reply 94
01/04/2017

Bench:
50kg 5x8

Did some clean pulls at 60kg just to reintroduce some extension to my ankle. Should be good to train pulls (definitely deadlifts) normally next week. Dorsiflexion is still non-existent so might have to wait a little longer to start squatting again (at normal weights)

Accessories: Lat pulldowns (over/under grip), cable tricep extensions, cable curls
get some juju done on your ankle, you will be ready to squat immediately after it :colone:
Reply 96
Original post by UchihaMadara
get some juju done on your ankle, you will be ready to squat immediately after it :colone:

Know any good places? :biggrin:
Reply 97
03/04/2017

Deadlift:
60kg x5
80kg x5
100kg x3
110kg x3
120kg x1
130kg x1
135kg - X
100kg x2

Tried to do 100kg with a mixed grip but it felt weird af. But hookgrip is still limiting on sets with 2+ reps. So I'm kinda stuck cos I can't really increase my volume at weights around 110-120 without either tearing my thumbs apart or losing grip, for the moment at least... So I'll either have to try chalk/straps or use a mixed grip for higher volume sets. I did actually tape my thumbs but it just made it worse lol.

Push press:
30kg x5
40kg x5
45kg x5
50kg x4 (PR)
40kg x5 (strict OHP)

Did a mixture of front/back/overhead squats with just the bar again, ankle feels alright so I'm good to start squatting again this week. Quads are unbelievably tight though.

Accessories: lateral raises, dumbell shrugs, cable curls and pushdowns (single arm)

Will be using the Texas Method programme (was already kind of doing it) for front/back squat until I begin a 1 month cut (Ramadan) at the end of May. Basically 5x5 at 90% of my 5 rep max on one day and setting a new 5 rep max on the second, each week hopefully. Not sure how well it will work with olympic assistance lifts but we'll see, might have to lower the volume to 5x3 on the front squat.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TajwarC
Know any good places? :biggrin:

listen to some j hus lol
Reply 99
04/04/2017

Bench:
55kg x5
60kg x6 (PR)
65kg x3

Front Squat:
60kg 5x3