The Student Room Group

Flatmate is smoking weed so I reported them

I hate to be one of those people but my flatmate has been smoking weed for a while so I reported them.

Our halls has a zero tolerance when it comes to smoking anything inside the buildings. Everyone recently received an email stating that they know that some people have been smoking weed and it's just a matter of time until they are caught.

Since then, the flatmate in question has not stopped smoking weed so I reported them as I didn't want my other flatmates or I getting into trouble since our whole corridor stinks of the stuff and it is blatantly obvious where it is coming from.

Have I done the right thing?

I never speak to this person ever, so I didn't feel comfortable taking to them about it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by pcg2016
I hate to be one of those people but my flatmate has been smoking weed for a while so I reported them.

Our halls has a zero tolerance when it comes to smoking anything inside the buildings. Everyone recently received an email stating that they know that some people have been smoking weed and it's just a matter of time until they are caught.

Since then, the flatmate in question has not stopped smoking weed so I reported them as I didn't want my other flatmates or I getting into trouble since our whole corridor stinks of the stuff and it is blatantly obvious where it is coming from.

Have I done the right thing?

I never speak to this person ever, so I didn't feel comfortable taking to them about it.

You did right! Well done.
Well he will be able to narrow it down to someone in the flat. If they smoke a lot, then doesnt it stink the flat out?
Do any of the other flatmates know? Probably better off keeping it to yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Well he will be able to narrow it down to someone in the flat. If they smoke a lot, then doesnt it stink the flat out?
Do any of the other flatmates know? Probably better off keeping it to yourself.

Yes, it's obvious which room it is coming from, but only if they've recently been smoking.

The flat stinks currently and it's really, really gross! I've plugged an air freshener in the hallway but it does nothing:frown:

I've spoken to one other flatmate about it who agreed that it stunk!
You could've just approached that person and said it stinks out the house.

But no.
Reply 5
Original post by tehforum

But no.

I really didn't know how to! Like I said, I never speak to them, I've probably spoken to them about 5 times since September:s-smilie:
Original post by tehforum

But no.

Tbf it would be obvious and its pretty antisocial. Cant say im a fan of reporting people, but the smell lingers so much it could easily have been a neighbouring flat, although as their room has been pinpointed then its going to point to another flatmate.
Unfortunately it is the right thing.

Why didn't you tell him to smoke it outside?
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Tbf it would be obvious and its pretty antisocial. Cant say im a fan of reporting people, but the smell lingers so much it could easily have been a neighbouring flat, although as their room has been pinpointed then its going to point to another flatmate.

I honestly hate being that person to grass someone up and I've never done it before but I care more about saving my own money when it comes to getting my deposit back.
Reply 9
Original post by Cherub012
Unfortunately it is the right thing.

Why didn't you tell him to smoke it outside?

Because I've spoken to them about 5 times since September and I really didn't know how to. Plus, they are never in the flat until late at night.
Original post by pcg2016
Because I've spoken to them about 5 times since September and I really didn't know how to. Plus, they are never in the flat until late at night.

You didn't know how to tell him to smoke outside but you did know how to report him. Isn't the former the much easier option?
Reply 11
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
What a little :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: move. At least you could have have grown a pair and confronted them about it, that's probably not your thing though. And stop trying to justify it as 'oh I did it to protect the others and myself', you'd never have gotten into trouble over that in a million years. You probably did it just to see someone else suffer. I guess maybe they made you angry and you had to get back at them in a troll like manner. Well done.

I have nothing against them other than that. My friend's flat got fined for the same thing, I need my money:colonhash:
I don't see why people are being patronising towards you - you did the right thing. There's no reason in the first place that you should have to approach them because they are in the wrong, and not everyone is as brave as they make out to be online.
Original post by pcg2016
I honestly hate being that person to grass someone up and I've never done it before but I care more about saving my own money when it comes to getting my deposit back.

heh
Reply 14
Original post by Cherub012
You didn't know how to tell him to smoke outside but you did know how to report him. Isn't the former the much easier option?

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to confronting people about things.
In hindsight maybe I should have grown a pair and spoken to them about it but at the end of the day, weed is illegal, the smell is coming into my room and it's just gross.
Reply 15
Original post by SeanFM
I don't see why people are being patronising towards you - you did the right thing. There's no reason in the first place that you should have to approach them because they are in the wrong, and not everyone is as brave as they make out to be online.

Although some are being way too patronising, approaching the person is the first call in this situation. One of the main things you're supposed to learn at uni is how to live with other people and reporting a flatmate for doing something that he may not think is an issue is a bit of a dick move.
Original post by pcg2016
I have nothing against them other than that. My friend's flat got fined for the same thing, I need my money:colonhash:

You cannot get fined for someone else smoking in their room. Either the university is breaking the law or you made that up.
Reply 17
Original post by SeanFM

Thank you!:smile:

I didn't see why I should have to approach them because they already know it's illegal and our accommodation are always reminding us...
Reply 18
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
You cannot get fined for someone else smoking in their room. Either the university is breaking the law or you made that up.

The whole flat can get fined when the whole flat stinks of weed and no one reports it
Original post by SeanFM

Generally, if you have an issue with someone, you will confront them over it and let them know where you stand. If it continues, then it is the right thing to take it further by reporting.

Latest

Trending

Trending