The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeverLucky
I think 6am is a perfect time to wake up. Enough time to go for a 30 minute run, 10 minutes of meditation, breakfast and then just in time for work at 8 :biggrin:

😩😩😩

You know what is a perfect time to wake up?

10:30am :wink:
I think 6am is a perfect time to wake up. Enough time to go for a 30 minute run, 10 minutes of meditation, breakfast and then just in time for work at 8 :biggrin:

6 am is when the training starts. So you need to be up early enough before that to get yourself ready, have breakfast and cycle to your boat house so that you arrive there BEFORE 6 am.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I've got really good upper arm strength because of crutches I wonder if I'd be able to give it a go 😅

Unfortunately what you need is a pair of very strong and ideally very long legs. (That's why all good rowers are very tall) Most of power come from legs pushing foot-plates in the boat, not from arms.
Original post by vincrows
Unfortunately what you need is a pair of very strong and ideally very long legs. (That's why all good rowers are very tall) Most of power come from legs pushing foot-plates in the boat, not from arms.

Ahh that's a shame I'm absolutely tiny!! I'm smaller than a Year 9; I always thought it was in the arms actually.
Ahh that's a shame I'm absolutely tiny!! I'm smaller than a Year 9; I always thought it was in the arms actually.

For college rowing, no need to possess ideal physique. There are plenty of rowers who are not tall and most colleges have more than 2 boats with different level to accommodate anyone. But unfortunately strength of legs is crucial.
But you can try coxing in stead, if you really want to. Lightweight cox is good for crew. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
For college rowing, no need to possess ideal physique. There are plenty of rowers who are not tall and most colleges have more than 2 boats with different level to accommodate anyone. But unfortunately strength of legs is crucial.
But you can try coding in stead, if you really want to. Lightweight cox is good for crew. :smile:

Haha I might! :tongue: I'm very small hehe
Haha I might! :tongue: I'm very small hehe

You'll still need to be at 6am trainings with your crew every time, though :tongue:
They're not like a regular club with permanent members.
They audition for new crews in summer every year to row for CUBC/CUWBC in a new academic year. All the rowers who are good enough to be accepted have previous rowing experience at quite high level.
And having been a CUBC/CUWBC rower in a previous year doesn't guarantee you'll be in again next year. It's a fresh audition for everyone.

And it's only just before and after the boat race people care about CUBC/CUWBC rowing.
Other times it's all about college rowing (esp. Bumps) which is one of the most popular sports at Cambridge (along with rugby and football) with the largest number of participants. Most of them started as a completely novice rower. So if you're interested in starting rowing, that's the way to go. :wink:

That's certainly the way I am planning on going, but I have someone I know (an ex teacher who is now training to be a physiotherapist) who is currently trying to get onto her university rowing team and I'd love to make the Cambridge one so we can kick her uni's backside!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll still need to be at 6am trainings with your crew every time, though :tongue:

I'd.... adjust.. eventually :lol: no I am quite good with early mornings if I go to sleep at a sensible time
But you can try coxing in stead, if you really want to. Lightweight cox is good for crew. :smile:

Surely though even if you're quite short, if you've got the strength anything is possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone, I have firmed! :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rayofsunshine98
That's certainly the way I am planning on going, but I have someone I know (an ex teacher who is now training to be a physiotherapist) who is currently trying to get onto her university rowing team and I'd love to make the Cambridge one so we can kick her uni's backside!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Other universities systems are very different from Cambridge's system of CUBC/college rowing.
CUBC/CUWBC don't often race against other unis, except for The Boat Race.

Are you a rower already btw?
6 am is when the training starts. So you need to be up early enough before that to get yourself ready, have breakfast and cycle to your boat house so that you arrive there BEFORE 6 am.

Would you not have breakfast after training tho? I think waking up at around half 5 and then doing a 20 minute run ending up at the boat house would be a nice warm up.
Hey everyone, I have firmed! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Yay!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Other universities systems are very different from Cambridge's system of CUBC/college rowing.
CUBC/CUWBC don't often race against other unis, except for The Boat Race.

Are you a rower already btw?

I've not got experience of rowing on water (mainly because my nearest club is upwards of 40 mins drive away from home) but I use the rowing machines in the gym regularly 😂😂 and I'm getting quicker. I started off about 6 months ago with a 20 minute 2k time but am now at about 12 minutes for 2k. I kayak and canoe relatively regularly when I'm on camp with my guide unit though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you not have breakfast after training tho? I think waking up at around half 5 and then doing a 20 minute run ending up at the boat house would be a nice warm up.

If it was me, I'd probably have a snack before training so I didn't get low blood sugar but then have something more substantial afterwards.

Does anyone know if training for college teams is like every day or what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayofsunshine98
I've not got experience of rowing on water (mainly because my nearest club is upwards of 40 mins drive away from home) but I use the rowing machines in the gym regularly 😂😂 and I'm getting quicker. I started off about 6 months ago with a 20 minute 2k time but am now at about 12 minutes for 2k. I kayak and canoe relatively regularly when I'm on camp with my guide unit though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kayaking and stuff looks so fun :h: I did rafting at NCS and that is about it. I absolutely love being on the water though.

You'd need to eat something beforehand if you don't want to faint during training.....
Kayaking and stuff looks so fun :h: I did rafting at NCS and that is about it. I absolutely love being on the water though.

Me too, although maybe being a cox would be more my thing considering I'm barely over 5ft tall!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'd need to eat something beforehand if you don't want to faint during training.....

Agreed, one of my teachers keeps warning me I'd need to do that because she once fainted at the local gym when home from uni for the weekend and cracked her head open 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending