The Student Room Group

Bacteria growing in unwashed dishes

I have a coffee jug machine thing in my room which I have forgotten to wash for a couple of weeks and today I took the lid off to see a layer of what looked like white fur all over the coffee granules!
I've washed the coffee jug machine thing thoroughly with hot water and washing up liquid, but I'm wondering if it is safe to use again in the future...

Also, does anyone happen to have an idea of what type of bacteria was growing in there?

Thanks
Not sure of the type but for the cost, I'd just buy a new one. Let this be a lesson!
Original post by greghayes
Not sure of the type but for the cost, I'd just buy a new one. Let this be a lesson!

So do you not think it is safe to use in the future to make coffee again?
i suspect that white fur you were looking at was a fungal colony.

By all means use the cup again on the basis that you've washed it, the contents are most likely not pathogenic and you've evolved a wonderful immune system.
I wouldn't riskit unless your kitchen has an industrial dishwasher (and even then I'd be curious). Sorry... (and btw I misread as coffee mug not machine but even still, it's probably better getting a new one).
Original post by LeCroissant
I have a coffee jug machine thing in my room which I have forgotten to wash for a couple of weeks and today I took the lid off to see a layer of what looked like white fur all over the coffee granules!
I've washed the coffee jug machine thing thoroughly with hot water and washing up liquid, but I'm wondering if it is safe to use again in the future...

Also, does anyone happen to have an idea of what type of bacteria was growing in there?

Thanks

Yes, it's just a very common fungal growth which you always find on coffee grounds which have been left - they're the ideal breeding ground for microorganisms.

Just give a good wash - if you're still concerned about it, then use a mild bleach solution and soak the parts in that for a little bit, before rinsing thoroughly and reassembling. It'll be quite fine. I presume it's a cafetière, you're talking about? Take apart the bottom plunger (there's three disc things you can unscrew) and clean each thoroughly.
Original post by Quantex
i suspect that white fur you were looking at was a fungal colony.

By all means use the cup again on the basis that you've washed it, the contents are most likely not pathogenic and you've evolved a wonderful immune system.

Can fungal colonies emit fumes that cause damage if inhaled?
Original post by LeCroissant
Can fungal colonies emit fumes that cause damage if inhaled?

They emit spores in their billions, but they aren't likely to cause you any harm (you are likely inhaling some right now). I work in a microbiology lab and regularly come into contact with large concentrations fungi. I'm not concerned about it and certainly wouldn't be concerned about the contents of a coffe mug.

A lot of the received wisdom and health and safe attitudes to microorganisms err very heavily on the side of caution. The reality is that unless it is a known vector for human pathogens (uncooked meat, any thing contaminated with fecal matter, etc.) the risk is very low for someone with a healthy immune system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending