The Student Room Group

Why do people gamble

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ebam_uk
Say you had £10,000 and you gambled it, the thrill of winning is enough for some people.

Gambling is bad as the house generally always wins, but there are people who take insane risk and turn 10k into say 20k by sheer luck... if they use the money wisely after the risk that money could turn into something else.

More philosophically one could argue life is a gamble ie if you take risk there is a downside or an upside...

Trust me risks ain't worth it it's better to not even start gambling you will be hooked and broke gambling can kill you
Original post by Luke7456
Question is not really how you meant to ask it. A lot of people gamble because they make a profit from it e.g. Matched betting professional poker players trading on the market etc.

Obviously we don't even need to ask why they do it they do it because they make a profit and it's easy money if you know why your doing.

I think what you mean to ask is why do people gamble when the odds are against them.

Reasons can vary desperation, or small amount that makes little difference on a long shot of life change eg lottery or trying to predict a series of games etc.

Sometimes it's entertainment or social life e.g. At poker tables sometimes it's friendly and nice chat usually not but sometimes it's a social life's etc. I normally find the best approach is to keep quite until you know the table a bit then if they ain't the aggro type you can be a bit social.
If I go to a football game I will place a few bets so I have something to cheer for but I rarely go to games.

That's true I mean like gambling on online slots everyday and borrowing like £60 and losing it it all adds up I guess gambling can be fun in moderation, gambling online is a big no no
Gamblers like talking about their winnings but they don't like talking about the losses
Reply 103
As long as a person still finds the fun in gambling then I personally think it's for entertainment purposes. I start myself on £5 on the football near enough every day of my life and I do it because I enjoy it. Everybody looks at the negative aspects of it but it's like anything in life, if you have an addictive mindset then you're going to get hooked on it. Simple. Gamblers do always talk about their winnings and never their losses but if you have the right head and bet with a bit of common sense then you'd be surprised how easy it is to go back for more. I think that's our only trouble as humans, we get greedy!
Original post by ChickenMadness
Gamblers like talking about their winnings but they don't like talking about the losses

Trust me I hate when gamblers just use you for money I know someone that lost like £10k in 6 months
Original post by IHMFL
As long as a person still finds the fun in gambling then I personally think it's for entertainment purposes. I start myself on £5 on the football near enough every day of my life and I do it because I enjoy it. Everybody looks at the negative aspects of it but it's like anything in life, if you have an addictive mindset then you're going to get hooked on it. Simple. Gamblers do always talk about their winnings and never their losses but if you have the right head and bet with a bit of common sense then you'd be surprised how easy it is to go back for more. I think that's our only trouble as humans, we get greedy!

That's true betting on footballs fine gambling on online slots is a big no no i don't see the point in gambling if you keep losing and trying to get back your loses ain't gonna working to be honest most gambling is pointless gambling addiction is a disease
Original post by struggler07
That's a point but it's not worth it in the long run

May be. But I think this is one of the reason.
Original post by ChillianG
May be. But I think this is one of the reason.

Trust me once you start gambling you can't stop no matter how hard you want to
Reply 108

lol what is this absolute rubbish? of course its possible to stop if you wanted to.
Original post by Reue
lol what is this absolute rubbish? of course its possible to stop if you wanted to.

Lool it's like getting hooked on drugs I know people who tried to stop but they can't

I believe men can do everything. And this is only a little addiction to gambling. Nothing matter.
I believe men can do everything. And this is only a little addiction to gambling. Nothing matter.

I know a woman who's addicted to gambling she can't stop she gambles like £40 a day
I know a woman who's addicted to gambling she can't stop she gambles like £40 a day

Are you sure? I am confused!
Are you sure? I am confused!

Yeah I do the woman is my mum :angry:
Yeah I do the woman is my mum :angry:

That's great experience.Thank you!

It's not great

I wish all form of gamblings was illegal the amount of problems it has caused
It's not great

Then?
I wish all form of gamblings was illegal the amount of problems it has caused

Yeah, illegal. Because it's involved of money.
Then?

It's horrible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending