The Student Room Group

Would large girls who advocate that big is beautiful do the same if they were thin?

I am just curious as it is well known that that society generally views thin, athletic and toned women (also curved) as more attractive/acceptable than large full bodied women (as is the case for men but to a lesser extent).

However I can't deny that now more than ever, I notice a lot of large ladies advocating that it's good to be big, saying that real women are big, or that fat is healthy, and posting opinions of the like in a quite cavalier way on social media.

My question is this: if women who do this were slim, athletic and/or toned, would they still express these beliefs in a similar manner?
Original post by Sam00
I am just curious as it is well known that that society generally views thin, athletic and toned women (also curved) as more attractive/acceptable than large full bodied women (as is the case for men but to a lesser extent).

However I can't deny that now more than ever, I notice a lot of large ladies advocating that it's good to be big, saying that real women are big, or that fat is healthy, and posting opinions of the like in a quite cavalier way on social media.

My question is this: if women who do this were slim, athletic and/or toned, would they still express these beliefs in a similar manner?

Personally, I think it's better to be big, I have no issue with it, obviously if it's the to extent it causes health issues, then no, however I think some people need to calm down on their views of bigger people!

Personally, my BMI is 18.7, putting me just 0.2 above underweight. I have a tendency to eat lots of junk food, no fruit or veg, and never exercise. I'm unfortunately one of those people that finds it really hard to put on weight, so that does make me rather envious. Because I'm generally really tiny, and with hardly any 'fat' I'm literally cold all the time :':wink:

One of my closest friends is borderline over weight, and I still think she's really beautiful, even if she disagrees. I think peoples negative opinions on big people kinda of lower some peoples self confidence so I like to stand up for them, even if I'm such a polar opposite! :console:
Original post by Sam00

This is just a way of making themselves feel better about an insecurity.

If they genuinely believed all this and were truly comfortable with whatever they looked like then they wouldn't feel the need to express these "fat-pride" sentiments all the time, because their thoughts would simply be devoted to more important things rather than dwelling on their size. I don't go round trying to convince everyone that black hair or brown eyes are attractive. If you think they are, that's fine. If not, that's also fine.
Reply 3
Original post by tazarooni89
This is just a way of making themselves feel better about an insecurity.

If they genuinely believed all this and were truly comfortable with whatever they looked like then they wouldn't feel the need to express these "fat-pride" sentiments all the time, because their thoughts would simply be devoted to more important things rather than dwelling on their size. I don't go round trying to convince everyone that black hair or brown eyes are attractive. If you think they are, that's fine. If not, that's also fine.

And this is some serious noise.

Firstly, brown eyes are neutral - there are not jokes about them, an entire industry dedicated to changing them to a more socially acceptable eye colour, various thinkpieces dissecting the thoughts and motivations of brown-eyed people. You are not shouted at on the street for having the misfortune to exist in public as a person with brown eyes.

And then there's this notion that fat women are "trying to convince everyone" they are attractive, which is simplistic at best. I'm sure there are women for whom their appearance is of the utmost importance, but most women - most people - are just trying to feel alright about themselves on a day-to-day basis. Fat women dwell on their size because everyone else does.
Original post by Circe
And this is some serious noise.

Firstly, brown eyes are neutral - there are not jokes about them, an entire industry dedicated to changing them to a more socially acceptable eye colour, various thinkpieces dissecting the thoughts and motivations of brown-eyed people. You are not shouted at on the street for having the misfortune to exist in public as a person with brown eyes.

And then there's this notion that fat women are "trying to convince everyone" they are attractive, which is simplistic at best. I'm sure there are women for whom their appearance is of the utmost importance, but most women - most people - are just trying to feel alright about themselves on a day-to-day basis. Fat women dwell on their size because everyone else does.

I think this is pretty much the same as what I'm saying, is it not? Although you've gone into more detail to explain why it is the case, it looks like what you're saying agrees with me. Correct me if I'm wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I think this is pretty much the same as what I'm saying, is it not? Although you've gone into more detail to explain why it is the case, it looks like what you're saying agrees with me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not really because you suggested that fat women do not genuinely believe in "body-positivity" (I hate that term, but I don't know what else to call it).

Trying to convince people you are attractive is an entirely different game to the process of accepting that you're allowed to simply exist in your current physical form, regardless of the opinions of others.
No.
Original post by AvaPenguin
Personally, I think it's better to be big, I have no issue with it, obviously if it's the to extent it causes health issues, then no, however I think some people need to calm down on their views of bigger people!

Personally, my BMI is 18.7, putting me just 0.2 above underweight. I have a tendency to eat lots of junk food, no fruit or veg, and never exercise. I'm unfortunately one of those people that finds it really hard to put on weight, so that does make me rather envious. Because I'm generally really tiny, and with hardly any 'fat' I'm literally cold all the time :':wink:

One of my closest friends is borderline over weight, and I still think she's really beautiful, even if she disagrees. I think peoples negative opinions on big people kinda of lower some peoples self confidence so I like to stand up for them, even if I'm such a polar opposite! :console:

If you find it hard to put on weight you don't eat as much as you think you do.
Original post by Circe
Not really because you suggested that fat women do not genuinely believe in "body-positivity" (I hate that term, but I don't know what else to call it).

I don't really know what "body positivity" exactly means.

But to clarify what I was saying, I don't believe that fat women who make these sorts of "real women have curves" statements tend to genuinely believe that being fat is a characteristic that is as attractive as any other (e.g. brown eyes or black hair). On the contrary, they're acutely aware that being fat is typically viewed in a pejorative manner, whilst other characteristics are viewed more neutrally. Isn't that what you said yourself?

Trying to convince people you are attractive is an entirely different game to the process of accepting that you're allowed to simply exist in your current physical form, regardless of the opinions of others.

However you want to describe it, the actual point I made is that they make these sorts of statements because they're trying to make themselves feel better about an insecurity.

Again this sounds to me like the same as what you're already saying. It is surely because of that insecurity that they even need to go through the process of "accepting that they're allowed to simply exist in their currently physical form, regardless of the opinions of others", because without that insecurity, this acceptance would already be there by default.
Why does it matter?
Reply 10
I don't really know what "body positivity" exactly means.

But to clarify what I was saying, I don't believe that fat women who make these sorts of "real women have curves" statements tend to genuinely believe that being fat is a characteristic that is as attractive as any other (e.g. brown eyes or black hair). On the contrary, they're acutely aware that being fat is typically viewed in a pejorative manner, whilst other characteristics are viewed more neutrally. Isn't that what you said yourself?

However you want to describe it, the actual point I made is that they make these sorts of statements because they're trying to make themselves feel better about an insecurity.

Again this sounds to me like the same as what you're already saying. It is surely because of that insecurity that they even need to go through the process of "accepting that they're allowed to simply exist in their currently physical form, regardless of the opinions of others", because without that insecurity, this acceptance would already be there by default.

The difference is that you are conflating the notion of an insecurity - a personal, internal feeling - with the external reality experienced by fat women. It's a subtle difference, but an important one nonetheless. Do they genuinely believe they're attractive? Yeah, probably, insofar as anyone considers themselves attractive, given that to attract involves a perception outside your own.

That being said, I reject the entire premise of OP's post. "Real women have curves" is a puerile advertising slogan more often than it's a phrase coming from the mouth of an actual living woman. But, if some fat women seem vociferous in celebrating their appearance, that doesn't come from insecurity. It is about convincing others that their existence is valid. And supporting each other, of course.

But I don't believe that the majority of fat women make those statements on a day-to-day basis anyway. As I said before, most people are more concerned with accepting themselves and still more concerned with getting on with their lives.
Reply 11
'Large women' are well aware of general society finding them unacceptable, to the point of people not minding their own business and even of bullying. I am not sure about the existence of a plethora of such women advocating big is beautiful. You're right that slim, athletic and/or toned women could be the most spiteful. My question is this: no one is forcing you to find anyone attractive and you're at liberty to only shag athletic toned women, if you can find any that are up for it, so why even bother with ridiculous comments.
Original post by Circe
The difference is that you are conflating the notion of an insecurity - a personal, internal feeling - with the external reality experienced by fat women. It's a subtle difference, but an important one nonetheless. Do they genuinely believe they're attractive? Yeah, probably, insofar as anyone considers themselves attractive, given that to attract involves a perception outside your own.

That being said, I reject the entire premise of OP's post. "Real women have curves" is a puerile advertising slogan more often than it's a phrase coming from the mouth of an actual living woman. But, if some fat women seem vociferous in celebrating their appearance, that doesn't come from insecurity. It is about convincing others that their existence is valid. And supporting each other, of course.

I don't think I'm conflating the two, rather I think one is the result of the other. People become insecure about their weight because, due to various experiences, it is clear to them how others tend to view it. Surely it is only because of that resulting insecurity, a personal internal feeling, that anyone would need to be convinced that their own existence is valid? Is "insecurity" not simply referring to the fact that they aren't already comfortable with it anyway?

But I don't believe that the majority of fat women make those statements on a day-to-day basis anyway. As I said before, most people are more concerned with accepting themselves and still more concerned with getting on with their lives.

I'm sure nobody makes such statements on a day-to-day basis. The OP probably just notes that, because there are so many such women, they're statements that we come across very regularly.
Original post by Sam00

I would think you could already estimate your answer: how many slim girls advocate that big is beautiful at the moment?

If it were just insecurity over their weight surely they'd just lose weight? :s-smilie: They sound more like smackheads or alcoholics in denial trying to justify their use to me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yeled ez
If it were just insecurity over their weight surely they'd just lose weight? :s-smilie: They sound more like smackheads or alcoholics in denial trying justifying their use to me.

Well, obviously I think losing weight is usually better solution than trying to make themselves become perfectly content with being fat. But of course that's easier said than done.
Well, obviously I think losing weight is usually better solution than trying to make themselves become perfectly content with being fat. But of course that's easier said than done.

Heroin chic over big is beautiful every time.
Reply 17
"Big is beautiful" is just an excuse for fat :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ers not to lose weight and actually do something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The thing is though is that not every girl can be thin, and not every girl will be thin. Even if an overweight girl decided to try and lose weight and it takes say, eight months for her to reach a healthy weight. In those eight months, is it better for her to be positive about her current size or negative about it and thinking "I will only be beautiful if I'm thin"?. This is how eating disorders can develop.
Everyone is entitled to do what they want with their body and weight loss, whether they decide to go down that route or not, is a long process, so why not believe you're beautiful during that process?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending