The Student Room Group

English GCSE Great Expectations

Hey everybody, so I have found quotes for Macbeth and Inspector Calls which are the other plays I have to study for the exams. Macbeth was easy, there were so many quotes on the internet and Inspector Calls was a short play so I was able to read over it and pick quotes but Great Expectations by Charles Dickens is not short and there are little to no useful quotes online that I can use for my GCSE exam. I have no time to reread the book. Is there any advice that you guys can give me regarding finding quotes. I have looked over key themes in the book and the story so I know what I'm looking for but I can't find it. For example I'm trying to look for a quote that shows Pip's humbling and caring nature in the beginning of the book but I can't really find one
Thanks y'all
Original post by Puciboyy
Hey everybody, so I have found quotes for Macbeth and Inspector Calls which are the other plays I have to study for the exams. Macbeth was easy, there were so many quotes on the internet and Inspector Calls was a short play so I was able to read over it and pick quotes but Great Expectations by Charles Dickens is not short and there are little to no useful quotes online that I can use for my GCSE exam. I have no time to reread the book. Is there any advice that you guys can give me regarding finding quotes. I have looked over key themes in the book and the story so I know what I'm looking for but I can't find it. For example I'm trying to look for a quote that shows Pip's humbling and caring nature in the beginning of the book but I can't really find one
Thanks y'all

Is the other texts with Great Expectations connected for the exam, or are all these texts have separate, stand-alone questions for them?

If it's connected, look for what Calls and Macbeth have in common and see if you can find these themes in Expectations.

If it's the latter, then you will need to reread the text. There is no way of getting out of it, I'm afraid. Set yourself a task - to read on chapter in the morning and one chapter in the evening in weekdays. And then read about 5/6 chapters over the weekend. You should have enough time to go through it. And because you've read it the first time, important quotes should stick out the second time and just skim read the novel.

Search online for chapter summaries. Read the chapters that showcase some themes, like unrequited love, etc.
Reply 2
Ask your teacher for help, buy revision guides (Mr Bruff/York Notes/CGP)
The website Shmoop is quite good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending