The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doodle_333
yup, about 6 months ago, I'm teaching English

Nice!
I read almost every day. There is never a point such that a person could ask "what are you reading at the moment?" and I should have to say "nothing".I feel at home in a library anywhere in the world as other people might in a church (or thesedays a Starbucks).
Original post by William2813
Theres nothing wrong with that. How often is constant? xD

If it's a good book I'll read it at breakfast, on the way to school, during free lessons, after school (if I haven't got any exams or huge piles of homework), at dinner, and then read it into the night until it's finished. No wonder I don't have friends. :colondollar:
Only Textbooks ^_^
Original post by Gwenog_quidditch
If it's a good book I'll read it at breakfast, on the way to school, during free lessons, after school (if I haven't got any exams or huge piles of homework), at dinner, and then read it into the night until it's finished. No wonder I don't have friends. :colondollar:

Theres nothing wrong with reading lots, I think it's really good! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
What is that about?

It's mostly about a few people in a feudal system who have/get "spren", which can be used to make weapons but some of which are also sentient and alive. The characters are developed really, really well and it's one of the few books I've read where I've actually laughed out loud at something a character has said. The books are pretty huge, though.

It's by the same guy who finished the Wheel of Time, if you've read that.
There nothing wrong with reading lots, I think it's really good! :smile:

theeenks
Original post by h3rmit
It's mostly about a few people in a feudal system who have/get "spren", which can be used to make weapons but some of which are also sentient and alive. The characters are developed really, really well and it's one of the few books I've read where I've actually laughed out loud at something a character has said. The books are pretty huge, though.

It's by the same guy who finished the Wheel of Time, if you've read that.

I love books with great character development! Plus if the book is large that can only be a good thing as you get more enjoyment. I'll read some reviews on it, and no I haven't read that.
Reply 48
My advice on reading more is to make sure you always have a book in your bag. There are so many times throughout the day when you're just sitting around playing with your phone, and you could be reading instead.

I'm also a member of an online book forum which I've found has dramatically increased my reading. It motivates you to finish books so you can discuss your views with other members, plus you meet people with similar interests and can end up having some very insightful discussions.

I also created a book diary on one of the book forums which I've also found helpful in terms of planning what I read. Not only is it a nice way to condense your to-read list to make it more manageable, it's also quite motivating to check your reading log every so often and see how much you've read so far this year.
Original post by cambio wechsel
I read almost every day. There is never a point such that a person could ask "what are you reading at the moment?" and I should have to say "nothing".I feel at home in a library anywhere in the world as other people might in a church (or thesedays a Starbucks).

It seems oddly pleasing to read in coffee shops and cafes. I aim to read everyday too but currently its more sporadic.
Original post by Angury
My advice on reading more is to make sure you always have a book in your bag. There are so many times throughout the day when you're just sitting around playing with your phone, and you could be reading instead.

I'm also a member of an online book forum which I've found has dramatically increased my reading. It motivates you to finish books so you can discuss your views with other members, plus you meet people with similar interests and can end up having some very insightful discussions.

I also created a book diary on one of the book forums which I've also found helpful in terms of planning what I read. Not only is it a nice way to condense your to-read list to make it more manageable, it's also quite motivating to check your reading log every so often and see how much you've read so far this year.

Thanks for the advice! I often find myself on my phone during bus journeys which i take frequently, i plan to start taking a book daily.

What is the forum that you have joined? :smile: It sounds rather interesting, id be open to the idea of creating a book diary also!
Original post by SambhavPHD
Only Textbooks ^_^

i guess for studying ? :smile:
Reply 52
Thanks for the advice! I often find myself on my phone during bus journeys which i take frequently, i plan to start taking a book daily.

What is the forum that you have joined? :smile: It sounds rather interesting, id be open to the idea of creating a book diary also!

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/

And my book diary:

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14553-angurys-reading-diary-2017/

There are numerous internet forums out there for readers and I've joined a few, but I always come back to this one. The members are all very, very nice, and the discussions are often in depth but are never argumentative. There's respect for every member of the forum and their views which creates a very open atmosphere for discussion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Angury
http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/

And my book diary:

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14553-angurys-reading-diary-2017/

There are numerous internet forums out there for readers and I've joined a few, but I always come back to this one. The members are all very, very nice, and the discussions are often in depth but are never argumentative. There's respect for every member of the forum and their views which creates a very open atmosphere for discussion.

I will sign up to this, kinda the thing i was interested in doing before but i didn't know of a forum that was good.

If there's a way of following a member I will follow you, and ill check out your diary!
The benefit of reading is uncountable one. Reading and writing plays a great role in our day to day life. But today's generation not interested to spent time for reading and that is why they are struggling with the writing task. Get assistance from experts at essay writing service reviews to improve writing skill.
Reading is very much important in our life. It is very essential to read books from my childhood to achieve success. Get experts guidelines at essay writing service reviews to improve the writing skill.
I am a hugeeeeee bookworm but right now it's slacking due to GCSE preparation. I hope that in A level English lit I can read a larger variety!
I read quite often, although not necessarily in large quantities such as books, and more so online. I have many books I'd like to read but never get around to it.

If you want to read books so much, just take the time for that, planning to read books in your leisure time, like me. Think about what would you go without something in this time and substitute it by reading. :wink:

I am reading quite often books and magazines in a week, although I am exhausted after working sometimes. :yep:
I am reading so often in a week, even in a working week. My reason is simple, namely to get to know new things by reading professional books about philosophy, religion, history, sicences and cultures. In holiday weeks, I am reading classic novels. Almost doing that in those weeks, as they are the only ones with sufficient leisure.
Reply 59
i always try to read at least for half an hour per day. i want to read so many books but there's never enough time. i like audiobooks because you can listen to them while washing up, or in the road and it's really cool

Latest

Trending

Trending