The Student Room Group

HELP !!! :(

My gcse exams start in a month and I literally still don't know how to revise ! I've tried notes mindmaps !! I'm giving up hope please how did you achieves A's + ?? I can never remember what i revise i engage with my revision and everything... I have future hopes of studying medicine but its looking impossible! Please what is the best way to revise and get A's ? How effective are past papers ? All i do is revise and nothing goes in :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I would recommend doing (for example) one unit of biology by writing notes/mindmaps/flashcards or whatever and then do questions on that unit, breaking things up makes it a lot easier. Make sure you don't just use one revision method, such as flashcards, as you will get bored. Also one tip I was given for A Levels, but could also apply to GCSEs is that you shouldn't revise one subject in massive chunks. Do an hour of biology, then have a break, do an hour of Maths and so on...
You may feel like nothing is going in an panic but I thought the same and ended up with GCSE grades which I am pretty happy with
Original post by gm0612
My gcse exams start in a month and I literally still don't know how to revise ! I've tried notes mindmaps !! I'm giving up hope please how did you achieves A's + ?? I can never remember what i revise i engage with my revision and everything... I have future hopes of studying medicine but its looking impossible! Please what is the best way to revise and get A's ? How effective are past papers ? All i do is revise and nothing goes in :frown:

That's like my exam.. my first GCSE exam is on the 15th of May.
I haven't started proper motivated revision.
I am starting this week and next 2weeks during the 2week half-term.

Most important thing is that you TURN OFF YOUR PHONE!

Remember: It doesn't matter how MUCH revision you do, it matters how
productive it is.

Do it bit by bit!:smile:
Reply 3
Thank you :smile: x
Reply 4
Me too my first exam is RE on the 15th of may , i think I'm just panicking too much
Reply 5
It's not too late yet, lots of people are starting revision properly in Easter or later this week. I'm in school right now, so I can't write a detailed reply. I'll write my full reply when I get home c:
Original post by gm0612

Hello :smile:

Revision can be very hard! Keep calm, set a schedule, reward yourself with snacks, fresh air, treats and relaxing when you achieve small goals :wink:....

These tips might help too?!

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Tees Uni
Hello :smile:

Revision can be very hard! Keep calm, set a schedule, reward yourself with snacks, fresh air, treats and relaxing when you achieve small goals :wink:....

These tips might help too?!

Good luck :biggrin:

Thank you !
Original post by gm0612
Me too my first exam is RE on the 15th of may , i think I'm just panicking too much

Mine's RE too who the hell tales that subject seriously lmao..
Original post by Popsiclez

Mine's also RE.
And it's compulsory to do it in my school.
Reply 10
Original post by Popsiclez

I'm doing edexcel unit 3 and 10
(edited 7 years ago)
Just do a lot of practice papers and keep to the time limits. Then look at what you got right and wrong and just keep revising those things until you get it. Also have breaks. It's a lot better to have a solid hour of revision where you absorb information instead of 3 hours of half focus with almost no return, and that will make you feel down too.

But if I'm going to be honest, don't worry about it just pass english and maths because that's all you need for any college course (biology would be nice too if you're wanting to study medicine). Most GCSE's have no value once you've been accepted into college so just relax.
(edited 7 years ago)
My time fluctuates because I just procrastinate but in terms of revision I think it helps to figure out what you learn best from, be it audible, visual or interactive. I think it's effective in my opinion to "revise" when you feel like you aren't revising. It's confusing, but do you ever remember some random information or fact etc that a teacher or friend once said and even though it's completely random but relevant like "the electrons of the atom are contained within shells around the nucleus." Things like this is why you tend to remember things better if you don't feel pressured or obliged to learn it, so although there are helpful methods to revise I think it's beneficial to mention that you need to feel like it isn't a chore and you want to revise. I'm not sure what your subject of study in question is, but say it was physics and it was especially about stars or planets. Maybe go watch a documentary in your free time, not revision time, of some guy speaking for an hour about something that's relevant to that because most likely it will still engage you and you'll be more inclined to remember and discuss with your subject teachers or classmates, ultimately making you more likely to remember the stuff that's part of your syllabus or exam. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gm0612
I'm doing edexcel unit 3 and 10

Same I'm on Edexel unit 3 but I do unit 16 Marks Gospel not Unit 10.
Original post by gm0612

Revise and try to do past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by TrapsterJ
My time fluctuates because I just procrastinate but in terms of revision I think it helps to figure out what you learn best from, be it audible, visual or interactive. I think it's effective in my opinion to "revise" when you feel like you aren't revising. It's confusing, but do you ever remember some random information or fact etc that a teacher or friend once said and even though it's completely random but relevant like "the electrons of the atom are contained within shells around the nucleus." Things like this is why you tend to remember things better if you don't feel pressured or obliged to learn it, so although there are helpful methods to revise I think it's beneficial to mention that you need to feel like it isn't a chore and you want to revise. I'm not sure what your subject of study in question is, but say it was physics and it was especially about stars or planets. Maybe go watch a documentary in your free time, not revision time, of some guy speaking for an hour about something that's relevant to that because most likely it will still engage you and you'll be more inclined to remember and discuss with your subject teachers or classmates, ultimately making you more likely to remember the stuff that's part of your syllabus or exam. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you this helped
i have put post it notes in my bedroom of all the key words to help me revise
Reply 17
Original post by eleanaturnerhurd

I'll try that thanks
Original post by eleanaturnerhurd

i'm just the opposite. i can't study or post notes in my bedroom because if i see the notes before i go to bed, i'll just get so nervous that i have trouble falling asleep. :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by xxKristenxx
I would recommend doing (for example) one unit of biology by writing notes/mindmaps/flashcards or whatever and then do questions on that unit, breaking things up makes it a lot easier. Make sure you don't just use one revision method, such as flashcards, as you will get bored. Also one tip I was given for A Levels, but could also apply to GCSEs is that you shouldn't revise one subject in massive chunks. Do an hour of biology, then have a break, do an hour of Maths and so on...
You may feel like nothing is going in an panic but I thought the same and ended up with GCSE grades which I am pretty happy with

Really good study tips!

Quick Reply

Latest