The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nymphielymphie
1) To move out of London you have to first save up enough money. I still live with my parents and even with two above-minimum incomes, my partner and I are struggling to come up with the funds to move out.

2) If your employer pays minimum wage, they sure as hell won't be subsidising your travel or accommodation lol are you actually being serious? Have you ever worked a day in your life?

Unless you have previously established debt contracts then you are probably just terrible at saving. Work extra hours and keep spending to an absolute minimum until you have enough to move out. Don't eat out or buy takeaways. Don't buy alcohol or cigarettes. Shop for your food in bulk at Aldi or Lidl. Life is not a breeze all the time.
1) Because we both have to pay rent and other bills to our parents for living at our respective homes, plus we pay for transport, and other things come up as well, such as vets for my pets etc. Also I only work part-time at the moment because I'm trying to start a career in Construction, so that's what I'm investing most of my time into. Not everyone gets stuff for free, ya know?

2) That's what I'm trying to do, but most retail/services employers do not offer those perks and it is very ignorant of you to assume that you can get an employer like that off the bat. Sorry, but you are clearly a middle class child who knows nothing about how kids in the lower working class, and especially immigrant kids (which I am), live.

No one forced you to get pets. The extra expenses they entail are your fault. Perhaps you shouldn't have got them if they are proving to be too much of a financial burden. Perhaps now is not the best time to move out then if you are in education.
Some people won't be happy until the poor live in sheds on bread and water

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
1) Because we both have to pay rent and other bills to our parents for living at our respective homes, plus we pay for transport, and other things come up as well, such as vets for my pets etc. Also I only work part-time at the moment because I'm trying to start a career in Construction, so that's what I'm investing most of my time into. Not everyone gets stuff for free, ya know?

2) That's what I'm trying to do, but most retail/services employers do not offer those perks and it is very ignorant of you to assume that you can get an employer like that off the bat. Sorry, but you are clearly a middle class child who knows nothing about how kids in the lower working class, and especially immigrant kids (which I am), live.

1) You still have less savings each than a single person.

What stuff did I get for free? Sounds like you're getting mates rates off your parents, otherwise why be there.

Don't have a pet? I didn't, nor pay for transport to/from work, cuz you know, that costs money.

2) Big on assumptions ain't ya?
One thing we should be doing to reduce the cost of living is building on the green built to reduce house prices and rents in London.
Original post by Quady
1) You still have less savings each than a single person.

What stuff did I get for free? Sounds like you're getting mates rates off your parents, otherwise why be there.

Don't have a pet? I didn't, nor pay for transport to/from work, cuz you know, that costs money.

2) Big on assumptions ain't ya?

So rather than making it affordable for people to be able to live and work in a city we should just tell poor people to know their place and move out?

London prices are kept artificially high and can be lowered if the political will were there
Original post by Bornblue
One thing we should be doing to reduce the cost of living is building on the green built to reduce house prices and rents in London.

*green belt
So rather than making it affordable for people to be able to live and work in a city we should just tell poor people to know their place and move out?

London prices are kept artificially high and can be lowered if the political will were there

We agree on this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88

How could they be lowered to an affordable level?

Lower the price and poor folk like me would look to move in.

I'm all for people living wherever they like cheaply. Currently not possible. All ears on how to get London prices to the same as other UK cities.
Original post by paul514
We agree on this

Posted from TSR Mobile

When it comes to housing you're absolutely spot on.

The green belt keeps prices soaring in London and benefits few people other than private landlords.

I'm just a bit miffed that when people complain about the difficulties of their financial situation (even where they earn a reasonable amount), that their concerns are just dismissed.
Original post by Quady
How could they be lowered to an affordable level?

Lower the price and poor folk like me would look to move in.

I'm all for people living wherever they like cheaply. Currently not possible. All ears on how to get London prices to the same as other UK cities.

Building a huge amount of housing on the Green Belt. The reason rent is so high is that houses are very limited and there are legal restrictions on building more.

But I despise the approach you have taken of 'if you can't afford to live there then move out'.

Our biggest cities should not be inaccessible to people who want to work. Yet even on a decent wage, it's a real financial struggle.
Reply 91
Building a huge amount of housing on the Green Belt. The reason rent is so high is that houses are very limited and there are legal restrictions on building more.

But I despise the approach you have taken of 'if you can't afford to live there then move out'.

Our biggest cities should not be inaccessible to people who want to work. Yet even on a decent wage, it's a real financial struggle.

The green belt isn't london!

Yes, if London is too expensive for you, move somewhere where the pay to cost of living ratio is better. It's not rocket science, and is something that everyone has to consider, not just those on minimum wage. Even when I earned a good wage in the UK, I moved from South Bucks to Cambridge, as houses were much cheaper and I got paid 20% more.

I would argue that they would be artificially lowered by removing constraints on building. The green belt is protected for good reasons. There are plenty of other places to live and work.
Reply 93

Our biggest cities aren't inaccessible.

London is inaccessible.

You never see people on here saying Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool, Newcastle are too expensive.
Original post by RogerOxon
Yes, if London is too expensive for you, move somewhere where the pay to cost of living ratio is better. It's not rocket science, and is something that everyone has to consider, not just those on minimum wage. Even when I earned a good wage in the UK, I moved from South Bucks to Cambridge, as houses were much cheaper and I got paid 20% more.

I would argue that they would be artificially lowered by removing constraints on building. The green belt is protected for good reasons. There are plenty of other places to live and work.

Only 13% of UK land is built on.
Original post by Carlylean
Only 13% of UK land is built on.

What's your point?

People need green space, especially if they live in high-density cities. Expanding London more pushes that green space further away from people, and concentrates pollution. We do need to build more, but it needs to be planned so that its impact is minimised.

It's called the free market, albeit with some (necessary) regulation.

If employers can't find the staff, they will either relocate or pay more.
Original post by RogerOxon
What's your point?

People need green space, especially if they live in high-density cities. Expanding London more pushes that green space further away from people, and concentrates pollution. We do need to build more, but it needs to be planned so that its impact is minimised.

There are parts of the green belt which can be built on with minimal environmental impact.
Original post by Carlylean
There are parts of the green belt which can be built on with minimal environmental impact.

What is that land currently being used for?
Original post by Quady
Our biggest cities aren't inaccessible.

London is inaccessible.

You never see people on here saying Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool, Newcastle are too expensive.

Because London is far more expensive...

It's very difficult to even cover the basics with any comfort in London even on a reasonable salary like 25,000.

And your response is to tell people to move, rather than trying to make our cities affordable for people.

Latest

Trending

Trending